Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bulletin subscriptions
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  13:37:25  Show Profile
If the edition is printed on a colour printer (the equivalent of a large office machine, not a four colour four plate monster), there are no fixed costs, only a per copy charge.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  20:27:27  Show Profile
I would like to give the Bulletin editor’s point of view in reply to John's question '---why cannot we have simultaneous publication, particularly when the Bulletin is created digitally and therefore can be added to the website with the minimum of effort?

When taking up the position of editor, I had an understanding with the Committee that the Bulletin was a printed publication as it is read by a number of people who do not use the internet. I believe it should be maintained as such and as you will have seen from Dick’s earlier reply, the Committee is committed to retaining a hard copy version as long as this option remains viable.

I am aware that some clubs eg VSCC, make their newsletters available on the web simultaneously with the printed version but only to subscribing members of the club. I do not think that making the bulletin immediately available on the website free of charge would be fair to the subscribers. I believe that such action might lead to a reduction in the numbers who subscribe to the printed version although this has yet to be tested.

Taking Ian’s point about fixed costs, the Bulletin is in fact produced by the offset litho process which involves the initial preparation of printing plates. As this process is computerised it is cheaper than the old fashioned method of plate making but it still results in a fixed cost regardless of print quantity, although this cost is outweighed by a superior quality result as compared with ‘copy printing’. This fixed initial cost does however mean that a greatly reduced quantity would not be economically viable, whereas an increased print quantity will result in a lower unit cost.

Bob Richards
Go to Top of Page

dbass

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  20:47:29  Show Profile
Happy to pay my subscription for this excellent publication, would much prefer hard copy through the letter box than have it on the computer instead. Probably the best value "part" in this expensive MG world.

David

F0708
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  21:15:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by BobRichards
I am aware that some clubs eg VSCC, make their newsletters available on the web simultaneously with the printed version but only to subscribing members of the club.

Perhaps this illustrates the problem that the Register faces - it has no subscribers and anyone can benefit from the Forum and the various publications without actually being a member of anything. While membership of the MGCC and ownership of a Triple-M car automatically makes you a member of the Register, what does that membership actually mean? Offhand I can't think of anything that the Register offers that is exclusive to MGCC members.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  21:48:20  Show Profile
Hi Simon,

Where shall I start?

Membership of an organisation that owes its existence to our cars and which continues to support them.

A framework which enables us all to take part in organised events, whether they be competitive or social, with the benefit of protections that stem from the club's affiliation with the MSA. (Think Ulster tour 2016!)

Monthly magazine in which Triple- M cars and activities are featured

A geographical network of centres which organise events in which members can take part

Natters and much more besides.

But never mind all that, let's hark back to Jack Kennedy. "Ask not what your club can do for you…… ask what you can do for your club!"

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  21:56:03  Show Profile
Keep the printed Bulletin coming. I can't read my computer screen from as far away as the "throne room"

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  22:09:41  Show Profile
Dick,

You're missing my point which was simply that the Register as an entity has no real existence other than as an offshoot of the MGCC. And as such it isn't in the same position as, for example, the VSCC, which can restrict access to its resources to member of the VSCC. The Register can't do that as it relies on the modest income it gets from whoever will buy its publications and other regalia. Hence the dilemma that Bob highlighted.

No criticism of the MGCC intended, but if you want to open that can of worms.................

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  22:11:40  Show Profile
So do people feel that the 'open to all' feature of this website should be changed so that only MGCC members may access particular areas?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 20/12/2014 :  22:23:12  Show Profile
Dick,

Again you're missing the point I was trying to make (obviously unsuccessfully) which was in effect that if the Register was an independent Club (which I'm sure everyone on this board would join in a flash), the original issue of the availability of the bulletin wouldn't be a problem as we could follow the example set by the VSCC.

But to answer your different question, no I don't think the Forum should be restricted only to MGCC members as I have no doubt we'd lose a lot of 'members' and would see no benefit from any additional members that the MGCC might get. A lose, lose situation in my view.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2014 :  09:29:43  Show Profile
I think "if it aint broke don't fix it" applies in this case. What we have now works very well.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2014 :  17:42:12  Show Profile
If the register became an "independent club", i'm afraid i would have to leave as a matter of principal...... It would be a social club, nothing more.

JH
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2014 :  17:57:20  Show Profile
Hi Jeremy, Happily there is no such intention!

Regards,
Dick
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2014 :  19:12:43  Show Profile
Very interesting debate that has unfolded, one that could never have taken place if we were restricted to only a copy of the Bulletin every two months.

Thank you for the two back issues that are now available.

I was not proposing any change, I just wanted to be able to read your excellent publication.

The only change I would request now is by joining the lobby for simultaneous publication. The power and accessibility of the internet medium is obvious, lets use it.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2014 :  19:35:38  Show Profile
My vote is to keep it as is for the time being. A printed copy is much more tactile.
Producing circa 400 copies is borderline cost whether printing small offset or digital with little perceived quality difference. However, finishing into booklets and mailing out (which both carry 'set-up' costs) will remain the same whichever print method is chosen. If numbers drop bellow 400 it would DEFINITELY be cheaper printed digitally.
Regarding MGCC membership I once posted, on another thread, a suggestion that it should be shown on a forum members profile if they are MGCC members or not, but that was mysteriously deleted.....don't know why!
Best wishes for Christmas and New Year to all.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2014 :  20:27:09  Show Profile
Perhaps the answer is simple - subscribe to The Bulletin and get the printed version by post, and the digital version simultaneously by email; don't subscribe, and wait until it's on the Forum website?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000