Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Beam Axle Straightening
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  10:02:07  Show Profile
I have just acquired an M Type axle that has a bit of front impact damage. Can anyone suggest a firm capable of straightening it? Preferably located in South London, Surrey, Kent or Sussex. I have searched the archive but the only name mentioned is a long way from me up north.

Thanks.

Malcolm
M Type

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  10:33:54  Show Profile
I had a TA beam axle also to straighten, with the encouraging words in the Mike Sherrell TC Book on axle work, I used a friends large press and some carefully placed blocks and in 30mins had it perfect again. No heat can be applied - this is very important !.

If you can access a 10-20 ton press you should give it a go. For an M-Type axle, a smaller press might even do the job.

Axles have a "memory" in my experience, and find their original shape easily. And no, I cannot explain this.

Tony
M-Type
TA Tickford
VA Tourer

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.

Edited by - PreWarMG on 06/01/2015 10:34:50
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  12:24:20  Show Profile
Malcolm,
I had my axle set up by Blaker Engineering near Billingshurst West Sussex. http://www.blaker.co.uk/
I have used them often over the years and have been happy with their service. They have guys that have done this work for many years.
I know of other MMMers that also use them.
Graham
PB0602

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 06/01/2015 12:25:12
Go to Top of Page

Bill Abbott

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  12:55:29  Show Profile
Hi Malcolm
Yes I can indorse that and highly recommend them. They sorted out my N type axle a treat. They do a lot of work on big stuff traction engines etc and our little axles are a doddle for them to sort out.
Give them all the data measurements. They will also check and sort the swivel pin eyes if there is any wear in them as this is crucial in getting the geometry right.
A visit there is bit like stepping back in time! but well worth it.

Cheers
Bill
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  13:01:44  Show Profile
Thanks for these quick replies. I don't have access to workshop facilities so I have to use the professionals which is probably a good thing, with my lack of relevant skills.

Graham, thanks for the tip about Blaker. Terry Holden mailed me direct with the same recommendation so that's a reassuring endorsement from two sources. And they're only about an hour away, which is perfect. If all goes well, I'll add them to the suppliers list.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2015 :  13:25:12  Show Profile
Thanks to Bill too. Your reply arrived while I was drafting mine.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2015 :  10:14:04  Show Profile
Malcolm,
I can confirm everything that you have been told about Blaker's. I have been using them on and off for dozens of years starting when they were in Brighton. I used to pop in to buy new spokes for my M Type wheels which they were happy to sell me in ones and twos. Later they moved from Brighton up to Dial Post on the A24 (just down the road from the Red Lion) where they stayed for many years and in more recent times after Mr Blaker junior retired, the firm has moved over to Adversane, near Billingshurst. As Bill has mentioned, little MMM axles are easy peasy for them. Mr Blaker, and his Dad before him were very big lads - built like brick outhouses, and both probably straightened MMM axles with their bare hands. Now they don't even bother with hydraulic presses, and they can sraighten little beams axles with chains and jacks. Definitely ones to go to for axle work and- cast iron welding etc. Certainly suggest they are added to the "recommended" list.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 07/01/2015 10:15:31
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2015 :  11:14:45  Show Profile
I also can well recommend Blakers, I am based in Brighton and I got them to straighten the front beam axle on my Rover 10. The car had been in a front end shunt in 1963 and the axle stayed bent until I restored the car in the 1980s, the previous owner was unaware of the bent axle as this had occurred before his purchase. I took the axle in to Blakers, the chap said ' When do you want it back ? ' I thought that a week would be about right, his reply was ' What I meant was what time today !! ' Good Recommendation.

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2015 :  12:50:03  Show Profile
Colin,
The Crown DialPost. Sorry off topic !
Graham
pedantic

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 07/01/2015 12:56:53
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2015 :  13:15:09  Show Profile
Colin back in 70's before we did chassis straightening ourselves I took a P chassis to them on the roof rack of my car. When I got there the big man himself came out ( John the son ?) and when I had unstrapped the chassis he simply lifted it off the roof rack in to the workshop by himself. I believe they originated in North London in the 20/30's and I was told made chassis's for Bentleys in the early days.
They have done lots of axles and other work for me over the years and have always done a good job. Recently made and fitted two complete new end sections for a J rear axle to rectify some dangerous re- sleeving carried out in the past.Good firm with good people.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 08/01/2015 :  11:21:42  Show Profile
Thanks for that Graham. It explains why I have never been able to find the place ! It is another natter on my list of places to visit before the summer comes to an end - just as is The Stag Inn at Balls Cross.!

Lovely little story, Terry. Young Mr Blaker is definitely not the sort of bloke to pick a fight with - unless of course you actually wanted your arm torn off at the roots.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 08/01/2015 11:23:12
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000