Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 Starting Handle - Where was it kept?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  16:07:11  Show Profile
Was there a standard position for stowing the starting handle on a J2 ? Did it sit in a tool bag or was it clipped securely somewhere? I have just bought this example -

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 24/01/2015 16:07:52

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  17:34:32  Show Profile
Sam,

While Barry Walker says on his website "Contrary to popular belief, the crank handle was not clipped to the footside of the firewall, but was held by three clips to the body behind the seat squab" , this photo from The Light Car test of J2620 seems to clearly show the crank fastened to the firewall with the handle upper most and adjacent to the cross brace.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 24/01/2015 17:35:17
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  18:39:26  Show Profile
Sam,

Another thought - the length of the crank at around 10" seems very short. Is it definitely a J2 one?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  18:54:17  Show Profile
There is evidence on my car of both, actually, not so sure... T

The remains of the clips are clear in the photo of the rear of the body but the positions of what I took to be the clips seem wrong on the bulkhead, you can see two pairs of holes one just below the regulator and the other just inboard of the hole with the oil gauge pipe going through it, I think there is a third one somewhere...

So... what were these pairs of holes for and whilst we are at it, how do people fill the big hole, should there be a grommet perhaps? and is it correct to have the oil feed to the gauge going through there?

cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  19:50:06  Show Profile
here are the photos...

cheers

P

Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  21:46:22  Show Profile
Peter that large round hole between the round junction box and where your brass plate will fit is not original. If you can send me a close up picture of your firewall and confirm date of your car I can probably identify the other holes you refer to.
The usual position for the starting handle is where your clips are on the bulkhead behind the seat but it may have been different on early cars I cannot confirm.

TH
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  21:48:05  Show Profile
Peter, are these the positions (arrowed) where the clips were positioned?

I am wondering about the length of my starting handle. The Dutch site has a drawing which shows a J2 crank handle which is slightly longer. Where mine is about 10 1/2" (270 mm) the Dutch one is about 12" (307 mm). Were there different sizes?

Did the size of starting handle relate to where it was stowed? In the Dutch drawing a small inset photo appears to show the handle fixed to the 'fire wall'.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 24/01/2015 21:52:44
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2015 :  22:34:22  Show Profile
Yep, and there is a third down on the passengers side.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000