Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Wheel rebuilding
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  13:12:19  Show Profile
I have had a spoke break on my M type and there is evidence that the hub is separating at the weld as there is a trace of rust round the hub where the two parts of the hub are welded together. The wheel has done very little work after a full respoke and powder coat. Can anyone recommend a company in the Surrey or Sussex area that have proved successful in the past?
Hope someone can help.
Keith

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  13:45:59  Show Profile
You could try Wheelwise Engineering at Cowfold, West Sussex. On the A272. ( 01403 864533 )
Steve Rolfe is a one man business, mostly vintage motorcycle wheels but does A7s , trials specials etc. He made an excellent job building me a couple of wheels for the PB
Graham
Go to Top of Page

SV4670

United Kingdom
302 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  14:22:44  Show Profile
I am just in the process of designing some gussets for M type wheels. The gussets fit between the flange and the central tube of the wheel hub and relieve the welded joint that so often cracks. There would be three gussets per wheel equally spaced between the wheel nuts. They would need to be welded into place, the spoking of the wheel would not be affected nor would the modification be detrimental to the wheel in any other way. I have made paper templates of the gussets and had a CAD drawing created. The next step is to have some laser cut from 3mm thick steel.
This is not an original idea but one I have seen used on another M type owned by Frank Ashley, or is it Ashley Frank? Anyway, the gussets would be effective at reducing the stress on the weld between the flange and the central tube. Once a laser cutter is set up to make these things it will bang them out by the dozen but of course there is a minimum charge. I inquired at a local firm and they had a minimum order value of £75. I do not know how many gussets I could get made for this price though but as I say once the machine is running it will bang them out very rapidly. I need 21 gussets as I intend to mod 7 wheels. If I had a batch of gussets made would others be interested in them?
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  15:25:50  Show Profile
Yes, I will send you a mail.
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2015 :  22:49:38  Show Profile
Phil Hallewell near UXBRIDGE has done good work on some of my M-type wheels
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  11:21:50  Show Profile
Thank you Graham and John. I'll follow these up. Have also come across MWS in Slough, which is quite close to me. Has anybody used this company successfully?
Keith
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  13:06:53  Show Profile
Yes - MWS are very good.
As is James Wheildon, but a bit more of a trek as he's based near Salisbury.

Edited by - etlanpa on 06/02/2015 13:08:51
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  18:18:51  Show Profile
I approached MWS for a new car-set of 19" wheels last year. They come across as very efficient and helpful, and able to do most things including custom paint colour (using your own paint if you wish) other than the bog-standard silver.

They also claimed they could give me a fair discount on tyres too if I bought my Blockleys through them.
This does add up however, and although they seem to have an unrivalled service - I felt they might be expensive.
I have not yet looked for any alternative options to MWS, so I am reading this thread with interest.
Sometimes however, you get what you pay for!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

SV4670

United Kingdom
302 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2015 :  09:42:13  Show Profile
Here are some pictures of the wheel hub gussets I intend to have made for my M type

I intend to have a batch of these laser cut from 3mm thick steel, the gussets themselves are relatively inexpensive the cost is setting up the machine, once running it will bang them out rapidly thus reducing the piece part cost. Anyone else interested in them if I have batch made?

The gusset does not affect the spokes and is intended to relieve the weld between the flange and the central tube of some load. The weld is prone to cracking.

Edited by - SV4670 on 07/02/2015 09:50:20
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2015 :  12:14:30  Show Profile
Like this on a Double Twelve Replica replica -

Or, most unusually, a very rare period alternative -

(example found by Chris Lambert Pre-War Minor Network) but a different spoke pattern and not actually MG or Minor.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 07/02/2015 12:15:43
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2015 :  10:21:58  Show Profile
I can recommend Wheelwise also of Cowfold.

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

FrankAshleymgm

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  15:23:15  Show Profile
I can confirm that the gussets realy do solve the problem of cracking and would recomend fitting them to all M type owners. Since having them on my wheels, I have not had the problem despite the stresses o the wheels during hillclimbs and sprints. I can't claim any credit for the idea, as I first saw them on Geraint Owen's JAP engined Minor a few years ago when he had got fed up of re-welding. One tip, get all the welding done before having wheels rebuilt and coated.

Frank

Frank Ashley
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  19:48:20  Show Profile
Hi Frank
Thanks for your tip; get all the welding done before having wheels rebuilt and coated. But it is too late.

Jørgen Poulsen

MGM 1930 MGM 1931
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000