Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Engine numbers for replacement blocks
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  11:29:34  Show Profile
My block also has no number, I have wondered about putting on the original number with a 2 or R after but don,t know if my original block still exists [ 1170 AN late 2 breather N]. Geoff
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  15:42:25  Show Profile
Oz,

I guess I picked up the term " toffee hammer" when I did my apprenticeship , many years ago.

Basically it's a term for a hammer thats to small for your intended job.

Claw hammer is what most diy or builders use, it would be the job, but is a bit small and light, you risk hitting your hand, hitting the punch off centre and having it fly across the room or not getting a deep enough impression.

I know a bad workman blames his tools and it is possible to do the job with a toffee hammer or claw hammer, but it will go so much better with the correct tool, also wouldn't use a club hammer, once again not enough control.

If I was doing the job, I would use at a minimum 16 oz ball pein possibly a 24 oz.

Obviously these are my opinions and other engineers may have different thoughts.

Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  15:55:09  Show Profile

I agree with Foz. It was my understanding also that a suffix 2 should be used when replacing an original block, and I have indeed marked a replacement block in this way.
The use of a number is more sustainable in the longer term, as no doubt the question of a second replacement block will arise and the natural progression would be to follow on with a 3.

Powerplus.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  16:55:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by george

My block also has no number, I have wondered about putting on the original number with a 2 or R after but don,t know if my original block still exists [ 1170 AN late 2 breather N]. Geoff

Geoff, the Register records say you have a Healey 100/4 engine installed - hopefully you are returning the car to standard?
Your original engine does not appear to exist in another car but who knows? It may be on a workshop floor somewhere!

Regards,
Graham
Registrar, Triple M Register

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 22/02/2015 16:57:47
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  18:25:22  Show Profile
Graham, Email sent Geoff
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic