Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Members MGs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  17:38:01  Show Profile
Forgive me if there is already a thread covering this, but I could not find one.
I have just joined and just bought a MG J1 Salonette

I did own an MG TC in 1966 and took my driving test in it in 1967 but earning a living got in the way sadly it had to go after 3 years, I have also worked for a London BL distributor selling new MGs in the mid 1970s.
Now with a bit more time I have decided to experience some of the joys of pre-war MG ownership . First thing that strikes me is how narrow the cars are.
Anyway hope to participate in the forums and attend meetings etc.
It does seem a vibrant and well ordered forum with lots of very helpful people.

Richard Hinton

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  17:43:16  Show Profile
Lovely car!
Welcome to the forum

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  17:49:02  Show Profile
Greetings Richard,

It's nice to se the ex-Jim Collier car out and about again.

Maybe we shall see you in it at events during the coming months? The Summer Gathering in July (date to be confirmed) is one of many events!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  17:50:00  Show Profile
Quality looks great in that colour
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  17:52:24  Show Profile
I know the car I've seen it at the summer gathering a few years ago I think I voted for it as the best car of the day
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  17:52:57  Show Profile
Welcome Richard from me also.

What a lovely and rare little car.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  18:01:18  Show Profile
Many thanks all. Indeed Jim spent 6 years meticulously restoring the car and did a fantastic job he has since run the car for a further 7 years.
Yes indeed I have bought it to use it ( and look after it ) and indeed intend to come to meetings.
later this year Jim ,I believe will start all over again on a J2 he has.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2015 :  18:27:52  Show Profile
Richard, you have a beautiful car.
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  13:05:56  Show Profile
Hi Richard and welcome to the forum and MMM ownership.
Over the past year or 2 Chris Wallis and I have been in touch with Jim on a number of occasions to ascertain some details he had on the J1 salonette. Chris has a J1 and I have D-type salonette both under restoration today, so inevitably will hope to keep in touch with you now Richard as we progress through to completion.
These bodies are truelly beautiful, with the peeked overhang to the windscreen and a cute sloping back.
Over the years Chris and I have acquired significant knowledge on these salonettes so may I just offer my thoughts to you if you may need them at anytime. Cheers

Chris Blood (D0407 & F0753)
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3374 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  13:31:41  Show Profile
Richard
If you go to the home page and click on "Pictures - Members' Cars" and select J1 you will see your car. I have updated the file to show you as the owner and I have substituted the above image. It is a bit small as I took it from this site. If you would send me the original of this picture (or a different one if you prefer), I will update it.
Now that this image is there, you can add more images to your collection by clicking on "add". Let me know if you need any help with that (or anything else).
Welcome to the website.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2015 :  17:56:20  Show Profile
Brilliant thanks Nick.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2015 :  21:15:02  Show Profile
Richard,

A car to DIE for! OMG! You MUST bring it to Pre-War Prescott (Sat 18th) and park it next to Roger Burnett's M Sportsman's Coupe. Roger is an ex-pat Brit like me who spent most of his career in the USA, then retired to Spain, but keeps his M in England and brings it to PWP every year.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2015 :  12:24:41  Show Profile
Thanks Ian.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2015 :  11:57:02  Show Profile
Had my first drive out on the road in the car yesterday just a 10mile round trip to get petrol at Tesco.
Something of a surprise - oncoming lorry drivers flashing and waiving, when I pulled up at the pumps 2 people asked if they could take photos and 3 others engaged me in conversation about pre war cars their fathers had owned - everyone smiling and friendly - thought I must be in a different country !

Is this a typical experience ?

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2015 :  12:03:31  Show Profile
Richard,
When I use my M type to do the local shopping I have to allow at least twice as long as when I use a modern car. The interest it causes is fabulous. You will need to get used to opening the doors and the bonnet and possibly the boot too to show off your pride and joy - and joy it is for you and most other people as well. You'll also need to get used to posing for photos that people want to take on their phones. I'm pleased you have started the experience which will last as long as you have the car.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2015 :  13:07:18  Show Profile
When my wife and I arrived at the Goodwood Revival 2014, no lesser persons than Lord and Lady March ( Goodwood Owners ) proceeded in our direction and asked for a photo by his official ( Daily Telegraph ) photographer. The photo was published in the ' cars ' section on saturday 27th December 2014, we got a half page spread, our transport was our Rover 10hp P2 ' Doctors Coupe ' 1938. Its surprising whom one may meet !

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000