Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Members MGs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  11:26:22  Show Profile
Yes - part of the pleasure in owning an old car is that people like to come and talk to you and ask questions.

What surprises me is that my MGB GTV8 also attracts a lot of attention! To me it is not an old car but is 42 and Tax free

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  13:26:29  Show Profile
George
But 42 is old for a car - I'll be bringing my 50 year old MGB to Brands on the Sunday to celebrate it's 50th that day. Finished on May 3rd 1965.
George
PS A friend has jsut taken some wheels to be refinished in her 79 Midget, the wheel refinisher remarked that he was not even born when the Midget was made. Oh dear!
Go to Top of Page

Matthew P

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2015 :  21:23:09  Show Profile
I could do with some advice....I purchased my J2 (my wife's actually) in late 2012 from Brightwells Auctions and am starting to get my head around the project. I know it was spotted by the Forum as I visited it back then. It is J2531 and has an old style Buff continuation log book and a selection of old tax discs, the earliest of which is from 1951 I think. It is not on the DVLA system so I need to sort that out. Can anyone tell me how to go about that - it has its original chassis number visible and its original engine too. It is very original having been tucked away in a garage in 1955 and remained there ever since. At some time it has had the swept wings fitted. Any advice on getting a V5 would be gratefully recieved.

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  06:42:56  Show Profile
Good mornming Matthew and a warm welcome to the Forum. Thanks too for registering your ownership with the Register - we wish that more new owners would do so!

Assuming that the car's identity can be vouched for (more later)the MGCC can guide you through the process of recovering the car's Registration Mark. The person to contact is John Innes at the MGCC 01235 555552.

The Triple-M Register will be asked to endorse your application and to do so we'll need photographic evidence of the car's identity. This should include the following:

Clear photographic images sent to our Registrar, Graham Arrondelle (contact details are on the 'COntacts' page of the website of:
1. the chassis number as stanped on the offside front chassis dumbiron (adjacent to the front cross tube). This is the primary indicator of the car's identity.
2. The brass guarantee plate fixed to the firewall
3. The engine number stamping
4. The gearbox number stamping
5. The chassis number and body colour stamping on the bonnet hinge

Assuming satisfactory images can be obtained, it may be possible to avoid the need for a physical inspection of the car.

More importantly, the Register exists to support owners with projects such as yours. Do please check through this Forum for answers to the many questions you are bound to have; many will be buried in the 'archived' area of the search facility. And feel free to contact committtee members or local fellow-enthusiasts with any other questions. We'll be happy to help!

Good luck!
Dick Morbey
Register Chairman
Go to Top of Page

Matthew P

United Kingdom
11 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  07:39:12  Show Profile
Many thanks Dick....I will get my camera out and get some pictures of the relevant bits. I look forward to getting started.

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  09:51:01  Show Profile
How interesting untouched and off the road since 1955 ! Some 60 years !However it all appears to be there. Great to get another car out of hibernation and actively back on the road again in time.
Jim Collier who owned and restored my car down in Dorset has a J2 in bits long term , he will start restoring that later in the year too.
What part of the country are you in Matthew?
We are lucky with these cars now there are several firms making new parts it seems virtually everything is available so it should turn out well.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  11:08:57  Show Profile
Richard, Matthew is near Hereford - you can see people's locations by clicking their names or searching the Forum Members' link

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2015 :  17:47:21  Show Profile
Ah I see what a useful feature, thanks.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2015 :  13:41:53  Show Profile

"Quack, Quack - Not seen one of those since 1933 ! "

Spring morning run to the ford in Braughing, Herts.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2015 :  16:27:21  Show Profile
What a qracking picture !.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2015 :  11:11:00  Show Profile
Trip to the shops 30s style.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2015 :  11:17:53  Show Profile

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  16:43:55  Show Profile
Used it as the course car at yesterday's Sprint race meeting at RAF Debden nr Saffron Walden Essex

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2015 :  17:08:15  Show Profile
A bit of fun out yesterday with a friend in a Talbot 95 of similar vintage.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2015 :  20:34:02  Show Profile
My J1 Salonette was on picnic duties last Saturday at a local (Herts) HSCC historic sporting trial. This was typical of activities in 1950s trials cars.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000