Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 How to tell the difference between a J2 and P type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bob

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2006 :  21:07:50  Show Profile
As a prospective purchaser of a J2 how can I be sure I am buying the genuine article and not a special made up of of combination of parts from various models. Specifically can anyone tell me how to spot a genuine J2 chassis, block, axle etc appart from the numbers stamped on them when compared to say a P type? Thank you in advance.

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2006 :  21:34:35  Show Profile
Bob,

There are fundamental differences between a J2 and a P type, the front and rear axles are the only main parts that are the same. If you want to phone me on 01753 643468 I will explain all the differences.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2006 :  15:59:35  Show Profile
I suggest you get yourself a copy of "the complete MG workshop and tuning manual" by W E Blower. You will find it very informative and useful. Regards Rich
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2006 :  20:17:41  Show Profile
There is another useful source of information - the book MG Road Cars Volume one - Four Cyclinder O.H.C. 1929 - 1936 by M.Green. The book can be purchased from the MG Car Club Abingdon.

George
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  08:32:04  Show Profile
I am curious as to why you may think the car is a special? After all, the P and J types look very much 'all of a piece'.

The P chassis has the chassis side rails extended beyond the rear spring hangers, to which the spare wheel bracket is mounted. On the J the spare wheel is on a sort of hanger over the tank.

The P engine is a slightly bulkier lump than the J, with an oil filler on top of the rocker box. If you open this to look at the camshaft (torch might be useful) the P camshaft is about 1" dia., the J about 1/2". The P has a cast bunch of bananas exhaust manifold, the J a finned job.

As for the body, it is purely visual - the J doors slope down in a dead straight line, while the P doors have a gentle curve at the front edge and less of a slope after that. Also, the body over the rear wheel arch curves around the wing more tightly on the J. You need pictures really!

If all those details match then the car is substantially correct but of course you may still have many other non standard bits...

good luck!

cheers

Graham A
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000