Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 12/12 vs Midget differences
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

tapope

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2006 :  03:07:13  Show Profile
Hello,
I understand some 21 replicas of the Double-12 cars were built back in the day for the public to buy from MG (1930? 1931?). I am wondering, what equiment did the 12/12 models receive and what year(s) were they built? Was it merely a different cam and compression ratio plus the low-cut doors? Or did they have other engine modifications (ignition, carbs, etc?).

Cosmetically, were they all brown and creme?

Do we know the car numbers assigned to these 12/12 models?

How many survive today?

And finally, (admiring the sporty look) is it well-advised to convert a regular midget to 12/12 spec?

Regards, Tom

Tom Pope
1931 Midget

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2006 :  08:45:57  Show Profile
the 12/12 replicas had a diffrent cam (which was then used for the later standard M) diffrent carb, inlet manifold, exhaust manifold, exhaust. diffrent bodywork and seats.

When I was building my M up a couple of years ago I had a go in a standard M and found that I was bashing my elbow on the door/body side so the I went down the 12/12 bodywork route, but my car was built to be used for hill climb sprints and to race so is not a rivet counters car but the bodywork was made using a copy of the original 12/12 blueprints. there are some piccys at http://www.bishopmiller.co.uk/10383.html

Richard
Go to Top of Page

tapope

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  03:52:59  Show Profile
Very interesting and nice car. Any idea where I could source the inlet manifold for the proper 12/12 downdraught carb? Also, how do you build the brooklands type exhaust? I scanned the VSSC forum without luck. Thanks for your guidance. Also, many thanks to Sam for the offline info sent.

Tom Pope
1931 Midget
Go to Top of Page

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 01/11/2006 :  13:45:01  Show Profile
I made my own inlet manifold and exhaust manifolds from bent tubular steel and lots of welding.

Max (Blackhands on here) has a correct cast inlet he got fairly recently, so could prob. help you out.

I'll try and find the info on the Brookland can and post it up here

Richard
Go to Top of Page

Alex

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2006 :  09:05:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rbm

When I was building my M up a couple of years ago I had a go in a standard M and found that I was bashing my elbow on the door/body side

Wow. How on earth does one even get one's elbow inside the door anyway? I find it nice and comfortable, sat low in the car with my elbow hanging out of the side! And I like the extra wind protection of the higher doors for long trips.

PS At 6' and 10.5 stone, it's not as if my bulk is keeping the elbow from fitting inside...
Go to Top of Page

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2006 :  11:14:52  Show Profile
it had more to do with tyre adheasion and having to fairly nimble on the steering when the M tries to swap ends

Richard
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000