Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Inspection Pit or 2-post lift?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

correlejco

United Kingdom
251 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2015 :  11:20:12  Show Profile
I'm building a new garage / workshop.

I'm considering whether to install an inspection pit, or a hydraulic 2-post lift. The lift is cheaper but gives restricted lift height in a conventional 8 foot high ceiling.

The pit has the advantage that when covered over, there is an unobstructed floor space.

What do MMMers think is best option (particularly those of a certain age who may not be as nimble as they once were)?

John - 1934 NA0492 - AOE877

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2015 :  11:39:47  Show Profile
I went for the pit option and it works well for "me of a certain age". If you only have 8' ceiling height I would doubt you will get the car high enough to stand comfortably underneath to work on it. If that is the case you will find you are stooping or working with bent knees. Neither sounds very comfortable. With the pit you can build it to be just the right height for you. Just make certain that you get it waterproof from the outside. Baling out water won't be fun and I am sure it will encourage rust to grow everywhere.
Good luck with your decision.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6121 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2015 :  11:54:15  Show Profile
A third alternative is a scissor chassis hoist. There was a thread on the Forum about this some years ago - see http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5008&SearchTerms=chassis,lift

Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a commercially available one that will fit a Triple-M chassis. If there was, being of a certain age (!), I'd get one in a flash.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2015 :  12:49:22  Show Profile
Note that scissor lifts do not allow access to the underside of the engine, gearbox and back axle (the lift is in the way). They are great for wheels and brakes.
I seem to remember there being a firm who make fiberglass (or some such) pit liners in the UK, do not know if they are still in business.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

Gary K

USA
270 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2015 :  13:21:02  Show Profile
Have you considered using a vaulter trusses to get the needed height to install a two post lift. I installed the two post lift. It is one of the best tool I have.

Gary
J2 3670 & D 0263

Edited by - Gary K on 18/04/2015 13:25:39
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2015 :  13:59:41  Show Profile
Is this the one you mean Nick?

http://www.mech-mate.co.uk/How-to-Fit-a-Pit.html

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2015 :  15:50:19  Show Profile
Lift every time if you have the height.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2015 :  19:40:10  Show Profile
Dave
Yes, that looks just the thing. No good here, the water table is only a foot below the surface!
Nick
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2015 :  22:13:40  Show Profile
Keith is right about the water aspect - two friends of mine have pits which were supposed to have been waterproof but both ended up flooded.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2015 :  09:09:23  Show Profile
If the ceiling height is restricting your lift height then you should be OK by using a stool on wheels to sit on and get about.
I built a shallow pit myself (bedrock preventing a standing pit) and use a stool quite comfortably.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2015 :  12:02:26  Show Profile
suggest you consider both options - a shallow pit combined with the lift.All waterproofing problems can be surmounted in this day and age. Rich
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000