Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Spark plugs for J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  18:33:35  Show Profile
Is there a definitive,easily available,spark plug for the J2 for normal road use?I have seen various suggestions,mostly NGK,such as:BP7HS,BP6ES,B6ES Etc.Anyone any ideas?Thanks,Simon.J4199.

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  09:57:00  Show Profile
Simon you will not go wrong using NGK plugs they are brilliant. For a J2 you will find that either a BP6HS ( extended electrode ) or a B6HS non extended electrode will work perfectly. If you have a rather worn out oily old engine you could try the equivalent 5 range if you do not run cleanly on the 6's. Alternatively if you have a highly tuned or supercharged engine you may -but only may -need to go into the 7 heat range. NGK heat ranges are very wide and forgiving.
Whether you use the extended electrode plug or the standard one is up to you. I have tried both and can feel no difference in perfromance.
In my opinion the best ever plug for a J/P was the NGK B6HV a precious metal electrode plug but sadly this is no longer made and I can find no old stocks. Denso do an equivalent ( their part number W20 FS-ZU ) but I have not tried this. NGK now do a precious metal range called Irridium but there is some question as to its suitability for old cars.
Hope that helps

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
450 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  19:56:16  Show Profile
Terry,thanks for that,looks like a good recommendation which I will take up.(the only time I had the car running,on getting it home last year,was with a set of old plugs ex my old V.W.Beetle!)
Many thanks,Simon.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2006 :  11:47:29  Show Profile
A decorative question. Does one put a 'period' set of Champions etc in the bakelite under-bonnet plug-holder or a modern set thus risking the wrath of the rivet counters?
PA 0603 was recently criticised by one of these people for having four dashlamps. I suggested that he should consult the car's build sheet: his reply was 'non-standard all the same'.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  10:15:25  Show Profile
Bob ignore the rivet counter and do whatever makes you happy. Cars could be ordered from the factory with all sorts of modifications and extras so who is to say what is original.

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  16:43:39  Show Profile
I am in full agreement with Terry Holden.

Customers were able to choose colour/extras etc - for example my NB was one of three 2 seat cars ordered by the Chief Constable of Wiltshire for use as patrol cars.

The extras included a clock, off set passenger seat, batteries below the seats for ease of access, the colour was black with blue seats/radiator slats, and there was a handle and bowden cable which lead to the rear number plate which was hinged. The observer was able to use the handle, situated in the transmission tunnel I believe, to raise the number plate which on the reverse had the words "Stop Police".

George Eagle.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2006 :  20:32:55  Show Profile
Agreed, they are a pain. The works list of 'extras' (mostly removed by a previous rebuilder who returned the car to 'standard') for PA 0603 / APP 186 runs to a page - including the four dash-lamps - and interestingly included ' special door armrests to be made to the owner's design', an indication of a rather different buying experience to that of today.
However, the 'original' approach has a place, going some way to ensuring that there are still examples of what MG and Kimber made, rather than a collection of bitzas and modified cars -the fate which has befallen most examples of my favourite motor cycle over 70 years in the hands of a club which applauded modification.
Do the MG records indicate what proportion of MMM cars were supplied in 'catalogue' form rather than re-specified by the factory before sale?
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  09:51:34  Show Profile
Would the NGK B6HS plug as recommnded by Terry be O.K for the M type?As a matter of interest the B6HS plug is what NGK recommend for the TC (early head).
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000