Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PB exhaust fixing.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  16:23:58  Show Profile
Exhaust is blowing slightly, due to fracture on the front end of the silencer. The silencer is bolted rigidly to the chassis, no flexible on the pipe or rubber mountings. Is this as original , I would have thought some form of flexibility to take care of vibration and engine/chassis movement would have been preferable to a rigid mounting. Hence the problem with the silencer front end.Any suggestions before I modify the set up. As an aside any feed back regarding changing the mild steel system for a stainless one, and any recommendation as to best supplier. Best wishes to all, thank you John.

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  17:52:52  Show Profile
The previous owner fitted a stainless silencer to PA 0603 and it is very noisy, the well-known PA 'resonance' being near to deafening and failing the noise meter at Curborough. According to my very experienced garage man, this is a usual problem with s/s systems.
Who makes, or sells, a good quality system which makes a good sound?
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  21:36:22  Show Profile
Paul, how is your silencer fixed? Any flexibles or rubber mounts?
The existing mild steel silencer,etc is in good condition except for this front end split which I can braze up. But I feel it will go again without some sort of allowance for movement.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  23:55:54  Show Profile
John,

Originally there was no flexable joint. On my cars I mount the exhausts as they were originally, L shaped brackets down the side of the chassis with a bracket round the rear cross tube. You mention that your exhaust has a fracture at the front of the silencer, I have had this problem on a couple of occasions but the problem was caused by the silencer hitting something on the ground, they do protrude below the chassis.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  09:46:43  Show Profile
Thanks for reply Peter, the fixings on my car appear to be same as yours one "L" shaped bracket at each end of the silencer, fixed to the chassis and a strap/clamp on the tail pipe. This is the 2nd time this problem as occurred ,the split is on the end plate on the front of silencer. When I got the car it had no clamps on the pipe to silencer joints, so I fitted one on each end, just a thought were these left off to allow a bit of movement? best regards to all John
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  10:32:22  Show Profile
John if you want a little flexibility in your system you can mount your L brackets so they are not bolted hard to the chassis. This is what I have done. Between the bracket and the chassis I have put a thackeray ( double spring washer ) with a plain washer against the chassis to avoid wear. If you then tighten the assembly so the thackeray washer is not fully compressed and put a lock nut inside the chassis on the through bolt you will leave just a lttle flexibility in the whole system.
You could probably achieve the same result by using a spacer made from a rubberised exhaust hanger of some sort. Also I suggest that you do not clamp up the rear exhaust hanger too tightly but leave just enough clearance to allow the system to expand when it gets hot.

Terry Holden

Edited by - tholden on 08/11/2006 10:34:52
Go to Top of Page

John

United Kingdom
51 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2006 :  12:07:59  Show Profile
Many thanks to all, I will weld up the problem area and then check all alignments and try what you suggest. Once again the forum proves to be a font of knowledge and information.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000