Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Chassis colours - J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  20:00:00  Show Profile
Greetings,

A friend is in the process of doing a full restoration on a swept wing J2 and the debate in the workshop when it comes to the chassis colour always gets a lively response.

I believe correctly or incorrectly that the norm was black, but has anyone anything else to offer i.e. could chassis colours be specially ordered to match the body etc. at an added premium? I know from photos (Magic of the Marque - page 36 show car) that the show cars had painted chassis (not black) to match bodies. Did any of the MMM cars have chassis other than black as standard?

In the 'Magic of the Marque' - page 50 M-Type chassis and also page 66 J-Type chassis, they do not appear to be black at all and wondering if these were show cars too?

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA

Edited by - F0355 on 15/11/2006 20:17:43

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  23:48:51  Show Profile
Peter I believe you are correct and that the norm was black. However for extra cost I am sure that the factory would have painted your chassis in a colour. Personally I think black looks best.
You could always ask the club for a copy of your chassis file to see if it indicates whether there was any special item orders on your car.
What I can tell you is that the chassis paint finish on production cars was not great. I reckon they were given one quick one coat of chassis black with a spray gun. By the time the car was built this was often scratched or chipped. Not exactly up to the standard of most of todays restorations !

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2006 :  18:40:52  Show Profile
Agreed. Both PA 0627 and L 2023 which I owned in the '60's were well-preserved where later owners had painted the exposed bits of the chassis but rusty where the thin black paint had been missed by the oil - splashes! The only company on which I am an expert, John Marston Ltd., of Wolwerhampton, would vary specifications on request up to 1937.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2006 :  21:09:53  Show Profile

Over the years I have restored cars which had never been pulled to pieces - one such is NA0960 which I rebuilt and still own - and on all the these the chassis were painted with a thin black coat of paint. There was no evidence of any sort of primer.

Regards George Eagle

Edited by - George Eagle on 19/11/2006 12:43:28
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000