Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Who makes new MG M Bodies!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  20:48:53  Show Profile
Originally I was going to buy a new MG M type standard body for my 1930 MG M, at ASHFRAME INTERNATIONAL, but now this company has shut down their business, and now I don't know where to find similar company that makes these types of bodies.

I am aware of the fact that Barry Walker makes them, but I was hoping to find another company to be able to compare prices and quality.

Cheers
Jorgen

mgm 1930 mgm 1931

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  23:12:58  Show Profile
I don't have any personal experience, but Steve Gilbert (S.J. Gilbert) in Weybride, Surrey gets good reviews.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2006 :  23:13:59  Show Profile
Make that "Weybridge"

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  09:58:13  Show Profile
I can put you in touch with a guy in the Midlands (U.K) who does very good M bodies.First class craftsman - no VAT !!!. Suggest you e.mail me directly if interested,Regards Rich
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  16:06:45  Show Profile
Jorgen I sent you an E mail but it has been returned. Can you E mail me at tholden@supanet.com and I will send it to you by reply. Tery

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2006 :  19:31:37  Show Profile
Thanks Terry for your mail and the photo of the J2.
I talkt with David Cooksey at Silverstone this year, about making a M type body. He told my he coud make one for my, I send him a mail ca. 5 weeks ago, and he has not answerd my.
Jorgen

mgm 1930 mgm 1931
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2006 :  08:57:26  Show Profile
Steve Gilbert did a superb job of my F2 body and I should say that assuming that he does M-types they would be of a similar standard.
Go to Top of Page

Old Grey M

United Kingdom
52 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2006 :  14:45:11  Show Profile
Whoever makes it ensure that they shape the upper boot section to a compond curve. Most replica bodies that I have seen only curve in one plane towards the pointed tail. They should also curve downwards slightly.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2006 :  19:21:14  Show Profile
Jorgen,
It might be nice to have the floor constructed the way it appears in the well known factory body delivery picture (probably taken early 1930).I can go on about this at some length but with your permission I can email a copy of the picture and the detail of the picture and drawings and photos summing up what I feel the floor was like originally. I tried to get help on this before but I had almost no response. Luckily I found a highly original car in Wales which confirmed the factory photo detail (I don't believe it was coincidence).

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 12/11/2006 19:22:42
Go to Top of Page

Shack

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2006 :  19:16:49  Show Profile
Sam, could you email me the floor details to mrshackleton@hotmail.com ? I think my body must have been supplied by BW as it looks identical to the photo in his catalogue. Anyone know why he finishes the leading edge of the rear wing section with a vertical edge when the wing is curved!
Martin
Go to Top of Page

Alex

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  11:01:35  Show Profile
Because getting the shape right requires both patience and the rear wing, and a willingness to lift it on and off a dozen times until they match!

I've looked up his online catalogue (out of pure curiousity - there's no danger of my buying anything), and can't quite tell whether the boot lid curves down as it should. It looks completely flat, but camera lenses can do strange things... Making the tail 'droop' in the correct fashion is, of course, easy. Making a boot lid that fits onto it, curving down and in at the same time, is less so!

So: just remember that anyone who knows what they're doing with wood can make a body that is beautifully put together. Getting it the right shape is what takes the time and gives the headaches! And when it's finished and on the car, you don't see the woodwork; you only see the shape...
Go to Top of Page

Alex

United Kingdom
48 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  16:14:38  Show Profile
Further thoughts - glancing at BW's site, the new M-type bodies he offers have a one-piece floor, without the details in the factory photograph Sam mentions. In other words, the footwells are one with the floor, which means that you can't remove the gearbox without first removing either the engine or the complete body! I originally got a pattern for my floor from Andy King, who told me that that was taken from an original, and that didn't have the removable footwells (although I've added them).

It's possible that these details changed over the production life of the M-type. On Brian Bowles' M-type, there's a wooden frame underneath the floor, and the entire floor panels on either side can be unscrewed and lifted out as a routine matter without disturbing anything else.

Edited by - Alex on 14/11/2006 16:16:03
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2006 :  18:34:06  Show Profile
Thanks a LOT to everybody for your kind help!!!
And special thanks to Sam for the photos!!
You guys have given me stuff to think about and stuff that I didn't know allready!! :)

@Davies: I'm very interrested in some info about the guy in the Midlands, who makes new M-bodies.
Please mail me at poulsendk@stofanet.dk

@bahnisch: I wonder,... do you have an email address to S.J. Gilbert ?? I have his normal address and phone number.

Please let this thread grow!!! A lot of good info is shared here!! :)

Cheers,
Jorgen

mgm 1930 mgm 1931
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  09:14:20  Show Profile
Sorry, I do not have an email address for Steve Gilbert. Perhaps he does not have one ?
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  10:31:36  Show Profile
My apoligies about being slow to share my pictures sooner-I have just changed computers and I am adjusting to this.I promise to send these when I get on top of the technology. In the meantime if you have a copy of The Magic of the Marque by Mike Allison and turn to page 282 you will see a copy of the well known body delivery picture.

I bought a print of this from the Register (highly recommended)many years ago and scanned the detail of the body underside visible to the left.Because the body is almost square on to the camera distortion is minimal. In a reasonable quality print the removeable panels are clealy visible.Guessing that the underfloor angle-iron bracing was probably 1" I was able to deduce the approximate dimensions.The angle iron will need a notch to allow brake pedal linkage clearance. By measuring the angles of the corners of these boards it was simple to cut out plywood patterns to match.To my astonishment the panels fit.

When I looked at the most original untouched M-type I could find (Mike Lowndes' car in Wales)I arrived just too late to photograph the original floor but it had just been replaced with a faithful copy.This floor is the same as the factory picture and was constructed only on the basis of what had been there before.Mike's car has a very low chassis number but a close look at the body delivery picture clearly shows later bodies (doors with front of door hinges and later dashboards). These two independent sources lead me to believe that this was the standard floor and that the similarity is not coincidence or my imagination.

The body delivery picture contains all sorts of detail but the under body view shows such things as -

A The boot floor diff access panel

B The seat adjusters

C The bolts for the rear door post brackets

D The flange on the propshaft tunel

E The battery access hole (font edge of seat visible)

F The angle iron floor brace across the floor

G & H The gearbox access panels (Different shapes by the way)

I Cut out in the passenger side access panel for access to the filler

J The steel insert in the driver's side panel ie the heal well.

K Brake linkage groove in driver's side access panel - count the laminations in the ply !

L The bolts securing the access panel brackets ( brackets which also attach to the toeboard ).

M The steel cover for the three speed gearbox.

The body delivery picture shows all sorts of detail. The really unexpected thing about this picture is that the driver's floor panel widens towards the front presumably to allow more space for the driver's left foot.

I obtained a pattern from the steel cover of the gearbox fitted to an M-type in Scotland (Myreton Motor Museum).I believe that this cover is original partly because it does not fit the prsent (not quite right) floor in the car.I cannot prove that this cover is original but circumstantial evidence suggests it is (it also resembles the ones which are illustrated in the old road reports). I cut out a steel copy of this and it matches the panels cut out to the shape in the old photo down to the unexpected shape of the driver's floor panel. And it all fits round the gearbox.

I would be very keen for others to cross check the evidence . I cannot explain the evidence which the photograph presents any other way but perhaps I lack objectivity. I find it very hard to believe that the factory would have turned out a car with a body which did not allow access for removal of the gearbox.

Lastly, the good news is that if this evidence is correct modifying an 'all in one floor' to match the factory picture is quite simple.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 15/11/2006 10:36:05
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  13:40:06  Show Profile
I agree with Alex, BW's rear end looks completely flat when in actual fact it should have a gentle curve.It is well worth the trouble to get it right. Rich
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000