Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Suitable trailer for J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  11:41:08  Show Profile
I am considering buying a trailer for my J2 so that I can attend some of the meetings.
I have been looking at the small motor sport trailers that are on offer with a single axle. Does anyone use this type of trailer or can someone advise me as to the suitability of a single axle trailer?
I would appreciate any advise or comments.
Thanks, Graham Carpenter.

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  16:58:48  Show Profile
Could you not just drive it, or is it not road registered?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

MGB

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  18:07:42  Show Profile
A few years ago I have bought a single axel trailer made by Humbaur. The KFT1500. At first it was a bit nervous to drive but when I fitted a winch the trailer drove much more stable. My trailer is just big enough for a J2 although I have to remove the sparewheel if iI want to take the ramps. #128512;
regards
Maurice

http://www.dioncre.nl/Algje/index.html
Go to Top of Page

Christian H

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  18:14:06  Show Profile
I am also using the single axle Humbaur KFT (which stands for KleinFahrzeugTransporter), with 1300 kg max. weight. This trailer is made by the Bavarian trailer company Humbaur. Can highly recommend it - wonderful to drive with, extremely good road holding (if there is such a thing with a trailer!), high speed stability, just enough space for the J2, not much wider than the tow car. Perfect trailer. Another option, in particular in the U.K., would be a Brian James Trailer. Let us know how you are progressing.

Christian Hoeptner
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
373 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  19:52:54  Show Profile
The Danish Brenderuo 9300 is similar and Trailertek near Basingstoke are UK agents, though there may be others nearer you.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  22:28:29  Show Profile
Hello Simon. I drive my car all around Herefordshire and I would love to go to some of the events but unfortunately most are at least 3 to 4 hours drive in a modern car. I don't know where you live but do you have a maximum distance that you would travel in your car? Please let me know. Thanks, Graham.
Ps. I am going to Prescott in July.
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2015 :  22:52:55  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone who replied to my question, it has been most useful
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  03:02:01  Show Profile
Hi Graham,

I haven't yet found a maximum distance, but I'll be driving the J2 over from Belfast (using the ferry of course!) for Silverstone and for Prescott and the Triple-M Summer Gathering. Add in a few family visits and I'd reckon each trip will be about 500-600 miles. Not doable in a day of course, but makes for a great weekend's motoring.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 08/06/2015 03:24:47
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  08:23:27  Show Profile
Hello Simon,

Blimey! I'm well impressed. You obviously get about in your J2, I have only owned this car for 3 months but the previous owner did 2,000 miles in it in 12 months so I know it's doable.
My problem is with wifey who is non too impressed with the ride so my obvious solution is to buy a trailer.

I have just found out that the speedo is under reading by quite a considerable margin. around 20% under which I will have to sort out if I possibly can? (any ideas) Meanwhile I look forward to meeting you at prescott in July. Send me a picture of your car if you can?

Cheers,
Graham Carpenter.

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  09:40:15  Show Profile
Hi Graham,

I'd have to say that Mrs. J is a real stalwart and will travel uncomplainingly in the J2 whatever the distance and whatever the weather. But I suspect she's the exception rather than the rule. We started our MG motoring together at school nearly fifty years ago (in a TD, not the J2), however, so she's well used to it by now! We did an Ulster Vintage Car Club Rally to Donegal a couple of weeks ago and then detoured via Sligo on our way home to Belfast. Another 500 odd miles - great fun. This was us parked up in Donegal town at our lunch stop.

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 08/06/2015 09:49:10
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  10:21:23  Show Profile
Hello again Simon,

I love the picture, one thing that have and I don't? is a roof. I'm looking for a frame and I know that Barry Walker is advertising them but I haven't got round to looking at them yet.

I suppose it's a winter job really?

Thanks,
Graham.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  11:16:35  Show Profile
I got my hood frame from Sports & Vintage and I'd concede that not having a hood would rather limit our ability to cover the miles we do. It was really cold in Donegal and we put the hood up and fitted the side screen on Mrs. J's side simply to cut down the cold drafts on the 'ol shoulders! Funny, we never seemed to worry about it as much with the TD!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  11:21:09  Show Profile
Hell Simon,

I buy quite a lot from Sports and Vintage, I will give them a try.

Cheers,
Graham.
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  13:24:55  Show Profile
Hello Graham

Have just seen your post.I used to tow rally cars and never found 2-wheel trailers particularly stable,so I would go for a small 4-wheeler with a winch and spare wheel.Brian James Trailers and Graham Edwards Trailers seem to make appropriate ones.

Regarding distance,I reckon 150 miles in a day is probably as much as I want to drive my J2.I live north of Newcastle and did 140 miles in total to a car show in the Borders yesterday without much trouble.

Finally,when I bought my car it had a grossly inaccurate speedometer,and Speedograph Richfield in Nottingham made a matchbox size gearbox made up in the cable which corrected the problem.I provided various data,tyre size etc and the speedometer is now very accurate.It seemed the simplest way as the little gearbox is very unobtrusive and is bracketed to the scuttle,and I had no idea at the time about the car's gearbox or the axle ratio.

David R

J3355

Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  14:04:59  Show Profile
Hello Graham - I second David R's suggestion of a two axle trailer. I trailer a lot in the US, and have found over the years that the two axle increases stability immensely, especially going downhill, plus a blowout is much more manageable. I even have a three axle rig for my bigger cars! Depending on your tow vehicle, I would suggest you consider brakes as well on at least one of the trailer's axles.

Cheers,

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  23:14:34  Show Profile
Hi Graham,
I second Simon, just drive it!
I too will be going to Pre War Prescott in five weeks time and the sixty or so miles from Abergavenny to Gotherington will, I guess, take about an hour and a half, depending on traffic. Mostly along the A40 which route I should think would suit you as well if you cut over to Ross to join it. My wife also is a long term MMM passenger and about our longest trip in a day, I should think, would be Great Missenden to Lincoln (and vice versa) when I was racing at Cadwell Park. These days I find that 250 or so miles in a day is enough for me as I find that I lose concentration after very much more.
As I said we will both be at Prescott, and from there we go on Eastwards heading for Peter Green's Summer do in Farnham Royal (hoping to meet up with my Bucks. mates) with an overnight break going and coming in the Cotswolds near Oxford. (This is the seasoning that makes two days of boys and cars palatable!). About three hundred miles all told with the longest sector about 80 when we come home on Monday.
As I said above these days I am the weakest link!
You may have seen me around the western side of Hereford city (duo-tone red PB) as I use engineers there for machining (both Frank Dawson and Phoenix Rebore have done me very well). When you decide that you can afford it there is a good trimmer on Shobdon Airfield (he runs a Riley 9 saloon) and for your passenger's comfort the essential bit is a sidescreen for her. Warmth for the passenger is no problem, they do after all sit directly over the exhaust pipe!. If you are like me, approximately a Thirties sized man, you may find that it is not possible to drive the cars with the driver's sidescreen in place as it restricts one's elbow too much.
Hope this helps, basically do your mechanical preparation properly, get in and go. I do hope that both of you will enjoy the Fresh Air and Fun of MMM Motoring.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
PB Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000