Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Suitable trailer for J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  11:52:15  Show Profile
I agree that it is better to get a twin axle trailer, more stable when loading and smoother traveling. There are a number of sites that advertise used trailers such as this one https://racecarsdirect.com/SubCategory/Index/24/small-trailers-7-metres
Its all very well being macho and saying 'drive it every where', but there are times when you may want to take tools, spares , crash helmet and a weeks luggage !
Also there are times when you need the faster route for a long trip and gone are the days when I would sit in a Motorway stream with big trucks thundering by.
If you are competing somewhere or having a distant touring holiday, you have peace of mind if something serious goes wrong and you have a trailer back at basecamp.
I've driven the PB to Angouleme and back ( 450m each way ),but never again. I was younger then ! (oh, and by the way my wife does half of the driving so no male chauvinism please )
Graham
PB0602

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 09/06/2015 11:59:33
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  12:26:07  Show Profile
I don't think it's a case of being 'macho' about it. In my case it was nearly forty years before I got the J2 on the road so I take every opportunity I can to drive it - making up for lost time, and all that. But having said that, if one isn't competing in a speed event (where spares, racing kit, etc., take up a lot of room) and if time isn't a major issue, then to me driving the car seems preferable to trailering it. YMMV. And in terms of speed, the limit for a car and trailer is 50 mph on single carriageway roads and 60 on dual carriageway and motorway, so it isn't necessarily going to be any quicker.

But at the end of the day, it's each to their own and we should enjoy our cars in whatever way we want without fear of criticism.

The only thing I can't understand, Graham, is why Rachael allows you so much time behind the wheel

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  19:27:24  Show Profile
Hello Andrew,

thanks for your comments and advise. I have already bought a hood frame from Sports and Vintage and I will look up the trimmer at Shobdon... I can't say how quickly I can get a hood knocked up though, due to other commitments.

Regarding trailering of cars, I have had lots of advise and comments regarding the type of trailer and indeed lots of comments regarding the merits of using a trailer. I will leave that subject for others to discuss but as I have just had a knee replacement some twelve weeks ago, I think that I am doing OK just getting in and out of the little beast.( it's not elegant watching me alight).

I think that I will probably end up getting some form of trailer but I will drive to as many events that I can manage.

I look forward to meeting you and others at Prescott in July.

Many thanks,
Graham Carpenter.
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  22:35:30  Show Profile
Hi Graham,

You will find the trimmer in the phone book as Plane Wrappers Ltd., half of his business or so was making weatherproof covers for aircraft that had to live outside. When he remade a hood, tonneau cover and sidescreens for me though, about eighteen months ago, much more of his business appeared to be car related rather than planes. He has a waiting list of some weeks because his wife helps by running the industrial sewing machine and she unfortunately suffers from arthritis. Temporarily my mind has mislaid his actual name so we all are affected by Anno Domini!,

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
PB Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  23:11:48  Show Profile
Hi Graham H.,

I did not intend to be "macho" or chauvinistic and I apologise to anybody who read it as such.

When we did the Cadwell Park trips to which I referred we did carry my racing gear, spares and tools. I admit that we did not have a week's luggage but sufficient to be clean and tidy for a weekend all carried in the car. Wiscombe to which we also used to go from Missenden was a similar length trip and there we stayed in the Mason's Arms at Branscombe where there was a reasonable dress code as well. I do not recall having sufficient mechanical touble on any of those two sets of trips (including the racing stresses) to require a trailer (or for me the assistance of the AA), hence what I said about preparation.

The only thing I was saying was if you enjoy it then why not do it. I was trying to encourage the use of the cars as they were intended whilst not expressing criticism of any other peoples opinions.

Finally to Graham C., I also have a stiffish knee the legacy of my flying spree at Silverstone in 1977 and inserting myself and particularly alighting is as you say - most inelegant, but once inside one of the benefits of the cars is that they are Midgets so that you cannot slide around inside them very much.

More ramblings from,
Andrew Smith - MMM571 - PB Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  08:24:45  Show Profile
Hello Andrew,

you should try one of these new knees….. The pain is GREAT but so are the benefits!!

Cheers,
Graham Carpenter,
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  10:02:30  Show Profile
I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who finds getting in and out of the J2 a little 'challenging' (especially with the hood up) so it's amusing to see what The Autocar said about it in their road test in 1932 - "the doors are wide and make getting in and out easy"! Yeah, right! (Who says two positives don't make a negative?)

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  12:34:09  Show Profile

[/quote]

That looks just lovely Graham - that might easily be a shot from 1933

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  12:51:41  Show Profile

Mine is possibly a little easier to get out of - but at 6' 3" and front hinged doors with no stays not comfortable entry or exit.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  13:14:26  Show Profile
Andrew S. No apology needed my comments were made with tongue firmly in cheek.
I remember, when as a young apprentice, these cars were our everyday transport !!
Sorry Graham C we have drifted off topic. Yes , get a twin axle trailer.
Graham H
PB0602
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  13:30:46  Show Profile
Hello Richard,

Blimey 6'3" !!!! …..What am I complaining about?

It would be nice to take a photo of the two cars together especially as I have just bought a new camera. Mind you Ive got to find out how it works yet?

Cheers,
Graham Carpenter.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  16:17:53  Show Profile
Graham C,

I sent you an email via the Forum re hoods. If you haven't got it, try your spam folder as Forum email can often end up there.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Peter Hall

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  17:04:40  Show Profile
I have a Brian James Minno trailer, the size that will fit into a single garage.
Although my J2 is not on the road, yet, hoping for 1st July. I bought the trailer to use with our Motorhome. Giving us a base and enabling the J2 to be use further afield over long periods away from home. We are about to book tickets for the Prescott Pre war event, staying at a CCC site nearby, so will be making use of both.
The Minno will also take our MGB and MGF (which is striped down track car).
Peter
J4258
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hinton

United Kingdom
131 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  20:52:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by graham3647

Hello Richard,

Blimey 6'3" !!!! …..What am I complaining about?

It would be nice to take a photo of the two cars together especially as I have just bought a new camera. Mind you Ive got to find out how it works yet?

Cheers,
Graham Carpenter.

If you would like a trip from Herefordshire to Hertfordshire Graham you would be most welcome - it would be rather like a 1933 sales brochure photo.

oddly enough I am thinking of getting a trailer myself.

Richard Hinton
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2015 :  21:31:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Hall

I have a Brian James Minno trailer, the size that will fit into a single garage.
Although my J2 is not on the road, yet, hoping for 1st July. I bought the trailer to use with our Motorhome. Giving us a base and enabling the J2 to be use further afield over long periods away from home. We are about to book tickets for the Prescott Pre war event, staying at a CCC site nearby, so will be making use of both.
The Minno will also take our MGB and MGF (which is striped down track car).
Peter
J4258

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000