Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J-Type & F-Type Dashboard wall
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  20:34:58  Show Profile
Greetings,

The J-Type & F-Type Dashboard wall that supports the Dash Panel is affixed to the chassis with 4 bolts each. As the J-Type & F-Type chassis has gearbox mounting brackets, this dashboard wall does not mount directly against the chassis rail as in a P-Type as an example, but sits away from the chassis by the thickness of the gearbox mounting bracket with 3 of the 4 bolts passing through the dashboard wall, gearbox mounting bracket as well as chassis rail.

The 4th bolt passes through the dashboard wall and chassis rail only.

Question is this, what takes up the gap between dashboard wall and chassis rail on the 4th bolt position due to the dashboard wall sitting proud of the chassis by the thickness of the gearbox mount bracket? A spaced bush or some washers?

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2006 :  23:06:37  Show Profile
Peter

Had to read your posting several times to ascertain what you were referring to. I think you mean the Firewall, not the dashboard wall! Yes, there is a large spacer washer from memory about 1 1/4 inch in diameter and the thickness of the gauge of the engine mounting bracket. If you are using an original pair of triangular firewall supports then you can sometimes see a circular corrosion line.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rich H
Go to Top of Page

F0355

South Africa
298 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2006 :  07:33:54  Show Profile
[quote]Originally posted by Yorvik

Peter

Had to read your posting several times to ascertain what you were referring to. I think you mean the Firewall, not the dashboard wall! Yes, there is a large spacer washer from memory about 1 1/4 inch in diameter and the thickness of the gauge of the engine mounting bracket. If you are using an original pair of triangular firewall supports then you can sometimes see a circular corrosion line.

Hope this helps
Regards Rich H

Hi Richard,

When I started to type my question I was at odds to the correct description of both the Dashboard Wall and Dash Panel so I first looked it up in my original April '34 Parts List for my P Type and this is how it was described. I must admit, it is quite an odd description and your own description reads better of course.

The dashboard wall is in fact the "triangular firewall supports" you refer to and the Dash Panel is the "firewall" you refer to.

Thanks for answering my question, as I suspected but at least I now have a size (1 1/4") as well.

Met you in a bar late one night when we drove to Leeds to come collect a 'blower' and you were the 'blower' (on the trumpet!) in a band if memory serves me. The quip was " there's your blower!"

Regards,

Peter Steyn
Johannesburg, RSA
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2006 :  19:47:57  Show Profile
Hello Peter

Just read your response. Gosh, that was some years ago and it would have been a Thursday night too as I am still playing with the same professionals and we still have the same weekly gig. In actual fact I am killing some time at work now before I go off to play tonight.

I recall you were with The MG Enthusiast man Martin White and Norman Ewing too. I cannot seem to keep in contact with Norman as his email system always seems to reject emails and has for the past couple of years. Shame, I even tried to persuade him to invest in a webcam but I think he is a few light ways away from this step forward! Please pass on my very best regards if you have any contact with him.

Peter, If you can email me at home, there is probably quite a bit for us to talk about and I think I will be able to sort you out with a new pre-war carb etc.

Regards for now

Rich H
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000