Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 for sale at Brightwells
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Scully

United Kingdom
157 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  13:02:23  Show Profile
I see that Brightwells have a J2 (J2219) in their July auction. Non MG engine fitted, although what looks like the original comes with the car. No reserve, so it will be interesting to see what it goes for.
http://classiccars.brightwells.com/viewdetails.php?id=5696.
Peter

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2015 :  14:42:10  Show Profile
And a 'new' car as far as I can see .....

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  13:58:11  Show Profile
Wow, very "60s studentmobile"! Takes me back.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2015 :  17:29:01  Show Profile
Just for the record, the spare block shown is not a j2 one, but from a Morris Minor...

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2015 :  23:18:02  Show Profile
28103 is a Minor block, and I love the pic of the head on back to front!

Super project though.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2015 :  06:31:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Grace

I love the pic of the head on back to front!

You Minor chaps are so fussy

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2015 :  21:34:42  Show Profile
Hi

I have finally managed to persuade my parents that I would be wise to invest my money in a Triple M car. They disapprove but they seem content with the idea.

I just wondered if I could ask your advice on whether or not you think this is a good first time project or if there are many things wrong with it that make it not feasible for a novice?

I suppose my final question would be, how much do you thing it will achieve? As I only have a limited budget, and I don't see any point in bidding if its value as it stands exceeds my budget.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 21/06/2015 21:44:12
Go to Top of Page

Peter Hall

United Kingdom
33 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2015 :  18:44:31  Show Profile
Hi Matthew,
I got my non runner J2 in 1982, it is still off the road, at least until next week, when I am hoping to be on the road. Others may not agree with me, but from my experience if I went though the process again I would buy a runner. The way I look at it, is once to have enjoyed using the car when it comes to the restoration you have something to work towards which I believe will spur you in action, not like my 33 years.
My J2 came with a Morris engine, I do now have a J2 engine (costly).
I doubt that this has helped you into a decision.
Good luck.
Peter
J4285
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2015 :  19:43:08  Show Profile
Hello Matthew just read your post it's great your interested in these great cars especially j2s. I bought my j2 when I was 20 I think now I'm 29 I stated it 5 years ago nearly finished it now but not worked on it for 2 years hopefully I'll find the time next year to finish it! It was in a lot worser state than the one your interested in!
The one your interested in is quite good even thou it has the wrong engine a lot of the proper engine parts is there including the head. There could even be a box full of parts with all the head bits in there dynamo etc. The dash is a bit plain but the speedo is there which is very important. The screen is good the rad is good gearbox is there but you will need a bellhousing and correct input shaft. The brakes have been converted to hydraulic they should have cables but a lot of cars have this even now. The body could be reused looks like it could be quite good you'll need some new wings there not expensive and a new bonnet side. Steering box is correct and the rest of the chassis will probably be good have a good check.
I reackon this will make 10 to 12k plus commission maybe even as far as 15. You never know. Hope this is some help greg
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2015 :  19:50:00  Show Profile
Thanks for your advice Peter, its much appreciated. Unfortunately I think my budget will only stretch to a restoration M-Type or possibly this J type.

I was concerned that not having a J-Type engine is a major downside. I think in any case, if I do purchase a restoration I suspect it would have a similar timescale to your J2. My idea would be to accumulate the necessary parts as and when I have some disposable income.

Thanks once again

Matthew

Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2015 :  19:55:57  Show Profile
Hi Greg,

Thanks for your comment, I only saw it after I submitted a reply to Peter.

I will do some more investigations into the car later this week.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 22/06/2015 20:08:49
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2015 :  11:03:26  Show Profile
Hi Mathew

The J2 would certainly make a nice project, especially if you are prepared to purchase the necessary parts over a period of time. At least in the interim you could strip the car down and restore as much as you can whilst accumulating the necessary parts. You would of course need plenty of storage space as a car in pieces does take up a lot of room!

I think there is merit in buying a car such as this. I have in the past purchased Triple-M cars that have had work done both by an owner and "professionally" only to discover that the work done was very poor.

I wonder if there is a locally based Triple-M owner who was prepared to look at the car with you? In addition to the dumb iron the chassis number should be stamped on the bonnet hinge and guarantee plate. To me the stamping on the dumb iron looks original apart from the number one which appears to have been added.

I wish you luck and we look forward to hearing how you get on.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 23/06/2015 11:08:07
Go to Top of Page

ashley

United Kingdom
261 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2015 :  13:07:59  Show Profile
Matthew,

I am only an hour from Brightwells. I also now of this cars history in the 60s and a small amount of recent history. I don't profess to be an expert on J2s, however I own two currently and have owned many MMMs. If you would like to call me on 07713 838240 I may be able to offer some help.
Best wishes,

Ashley
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2015 :  13:34:16  Show Profile
There is much to be said for a car that is all in one piece, if you take notes and photographs as you dismantle you will know where everything goes! And you could always get it on the road with the Ford engine and upgrade as time/finance dictates. Driving your car is great motivation!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Ant

United Kingdom
88 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2015 :  18:13:10  Show Profile
This looks like a great project. Of note is that it is one of the few Mulliner bodied cars complete with its original Mulliner door locks. It also has the correct early-style windscreen.

Ant
J2020
F1414
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2015 :  18:27:55  Show Profile
Thanks everyone for your advice and comments, they are much appreciated. In all honestly I don't think I will be the successful bidder, but I will give it a go.

Thanks once again

Matthew
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000