Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 "Quote"
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  09:13:19  Show Profile
Even though one posts a comment with a quote in it, there is absolutely nothing to stop one editing the quote in order to leave only the relevant text and to edit out unnecessary pictures; something that I do but I don't know if others are aware of

Unfortunately these forums don't seem to allow the full use bb code; I tried using it a while back and it didn't seem to work.
Having the bb-code option presents a much more flexible interface to the user.

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  10:33:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by John Reid

Oz34 - agreed!
John R

Glad to see that you are still monitoring this forum John. Best wishes,

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  10:40:25  Show Profile
As a newcomer to the Forum and with little experience of forums I have found the number of icons somewhat confusing but slowly getting the hang of it. As mentioned by others "Quotes" with no comment are annoying, if this happening frequently by accident and if Nick is able to remove the offending icon I suggest it should be done.

If in a reply one wishes to quote an earlier posting then simply copy and paste the relevant section within quotation marks and acknowledge the quotations author, probably a little fiddly to some but would help to emphasis the comment being made.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  10:59:39  Show Profile
"If in a reply one wishes to quote an earlier posting then simply copy and paste the relevant section".

Having as you see Richard, just so quoted you, I would tend to agree and, as to the error theory, as with most computer things you have first to click on the icon and then on "post new reply" for it to arrive at the forum; two actions.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  14:14:36  Show Profile
If you hover the mouse pointer over the icon (assuming you are using a PC), a message will appear showing what the icon does. The function of the icons themselves is not always obvious simply by looking at them.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  14:23:29  Show Profile
It appears Nick as though you have deleted the quote icon?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  15:38:54  Show Profile
Dave
Well spotted! I thought I would remove it and see if anyone noticed - you did!
If there is a loud outcry I can put it back.
Anybody feel strongly about it?
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  15:55:18  Show Profile
Personally I think it's a retrograde step to remove the Quote button. I've found it useful in the past when a thread has wandered a bit off topic and I want to respond to a particular point made earlier in the thread. The odd post of nothing but a quote is, I reckon, usually simply an error and really doesn't bother me. But clearly others think differentlly. As my daughters used to say, 'whatever'!

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 12/07/2015 15:55:54
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2015 :  16:36:15  Show Profile
OK, I have put the Reply with Quote back. If it is used then it should be there. Perhaps this thread will serve as a reminder not to use it unless there is a purpose. If you use it by mistake, simply edit your post (or ask me to if the system will not let you) and remove the quote.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000