Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 New memebr with a few simple questions
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Andy_Blackley

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  17:52:52  Show Profile
Greetings All,
I am in the process of purchasing a 1934 PA (P453) that is an abandoned project, sitting in a dry garage for many years, but requiring total restoration. Happily it appears mostly complete, but in pieces. The motor turns with the hand crank, and the body tub looks new - the doors are still held shut with a bit of wood. I have been reading the wonderful info on this forum and ascertained that the chassis is indeed stamped on the dumb iron. However, the original MG guarantee and commission plates have been removed from the firewall (with everything else) but may be in one of the boxes of parts. Where are the other numbers located on the engine and gearbox? I am also concerned that if the tub is a replacement as I suspect that the body number may be gone as well.

Once I have completed the deal I will register the car here. Do I need to be a member of the MGCC (UK) or would it be sufficient to be an member of an affiliated North American MG club?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  18:37:31  Show Profile
Hello Andy, I am in a similar position to you. I purchased two MGJ2s in a totally dismantled condition....and exported to Cyprus. I have repatriated the thirteen packing cases of parts back to the UK, it turns out that one of the J2s has a competition history and luckily have been able to attach the original registration number.

There are lots of very helpful enthusiasts on this forum who are happy to advise those with a limited knowledge of the marque ( like me ! ).

Best of Luck,

Chris

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2015 :  20:42:05  Show Profile
Andy,
First of all, welcome to the Triple-M Forum. You will find it is a wealth of good information and support.
Second, there is no specific membership in the Triple-M Register, but you may want to join the MG Car Club. Then you will be associated with the Triple-M Register. Also, of course, would will find benefit in joining the North American Triple-M Register. You may find membership details at http://www.nammmr.org

Regarding the body number, if the wood has not been replaced in that area, the body number is also stamped in large numerals on the uppermost wooden rail just under the left hand scuttle hump. It is not uncommon to find the maker's plate has been replaced or gone missing. The chassis number is primarily stamped on the off side front dumb iron. That is the all importand chassis number, and the only reliable source for the chassis identification. The gearbox number is stamped on the top of the gearbox just forward of the remote tower.
Lastly, this coming week and weekend there is a major Triple-M and T-type event in and around Indianapolis. There are over 150 cars attending with approximately 29 Triple-M cars. It is the largest Triple-M event ever held in the US. I will be there with my PA, so if you can make it, it would be well worth your time. For all the details, look up http://www.hoosiermgs.com/gof.html

We hope to see you there.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  07:56:35  Show Profile
Hello Andy and a very warm welcome to the Forum.

Chris and Lew have struck the right tone with their responses and for my part I would be delighted if you were to join the MGCC - either via the UK parent or via one of the many affiliated North American Centres - details at http://www.mgcc.co.uk/northamerica/list-of-affiliated-clubs/.

In Ohio you'll probably already have made the acquaintance of Tom Metcalf, who is very active in this field?

Good luck with your purchase and getting the car up and runing. The Register is here to help, whatever the circumstances. Our Registrar Graham Arrondelle will be glad to know that you're registering the car with us - it helps to maintain the all important continuous history of these lovely cars and we wish that more owners would do the same! Incidentally, for a very nominal cost the MGCC at Abingdon can provide you with photocopies of the original chassis file for your car. This will contain not only the build details and dates but also (possibly) correspondence from the Works with the first owner/s. The extent of that correspondence is usually directly proportionate to the mechanical and other difficulties encountered!

Regards
Dick Morbey
Chairman, The Triple-M Register
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  09:39:56  Show Profile
Hello Dick,

I wasn't aware that I could obtain my cars records from the MG car club. I am rebuilding a PB chassis No 0726,the car spent most of it's life in South Africa although it was first registered in the Uk. Can you tell me who I should contact at the MGCC?

I would be most grateful.
Thanks,
Graham Carpenter.
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  10:19:31  Show Profile
Hello Graham, I have just come off the phone to the MGCC, spoke to a very pleasant gentleman. They hold 90% of the original factory records and for a small fee will send photocopies of what they hold.

T/P 01235 555552. I am waiting for a call back with what records are held.

Only information required was the chassis number.

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6136 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  10:27:24  Show Profile
Is such information made available to MGCC members only?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  10:28:34  Show Profile
The "very pleasant gentleman" was probably John Innes, who deals with chassis file enquiries and copies.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  10:47:43  Show Profile
Hi Andy

And a warm welcome to the Forum from me.

With regards to the chassis files the person who deals with this is John Inness. The service is available to all but there is a fee charged.

George
Hon Sec
Go to Top of Page

Andy_Blackley

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  12:22:26  Show Profile
Gentlemen:
Thank you for the warm welcome! I have owned many post-war MGA (2) and MGBs (6) but I am completely new to the world of Triple M and pre-war cars. My father in-law (God rest him) had a 37 Cord 810 and that was the oldest car I had ever worked on. A fellow brings an unrestored J2 to some of the local British car meets and I have been charmed by its (seeming) simplicity. This particular car was made known to me by a friend, who spotted it as you see in the picture, and knowing my love of LBCs (Little British Cars) put me on to it, but just two weeks ago. So my adventure is very much in early days. I may be selling a 67 Jaguar Mk2 to make way for this project.

Lou: I regret that family plans made a while ago will prevent me from attending the GOF this time around.

Dick and Chris: Thank you for the encouragement and the information. I have been immersing myself in the postings here and the have downloaded a veritable library of information to educate myself. The Register is a resource that makes a daunting task very much less so.

Andy Blackley
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  13:14:23  Show Profile
Simon
It seems to duplicate a post every now and then, I have no idea why. I have deleted the duplicate post and your resultant comment to keep the topic easy to read.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  13:24:10  Show Profile
Andy
Let me add my welcome to the forum and the Register. Please take a moment to look over the FAQs and have a go at using the "Search" function. I archive the topics about every six months so there are thousands of topics dealing will almost every subject in the archive but if you are unable to find an answer please feel free to ask, you can be sure there is someone out there who knows where to get what you need or how to fix a particular problem in such a way that it stays fixed.
If you send me a picture of your car I will add it to the "Pictures - Members' Cars" section (I can always update it for you if want me to), once I have placed the first picture you can add pictures yourself as the restoration proceeds if you want to.
If you have any questions about the website, please feel free to email me.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  15:18:18  Show Profile
Yes, John it was. He is photocopying the records of both Js, both have letters sent out to the first owners, plus details of original engine numbers etc. Cost me about £30 ( as a club member ).

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2015 :  22:05:35  Show Profile
Books to help with restorations are of course Blower but almost more importantly Graham Howells on restoring a J2 and the Four cylinder MMM cars, is it by Malcolm Green?

If copies aren't available someone out there will have one on the shelf.

Cheers

P

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MG-Road-Cars-Cylinder-1929-1936/dp/095194231X

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5101

http://www.amazon.co.uk/MG-Workshop-Manual-Complete-Maintenance/dp/0837601177
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  07:45:57  Show Profile
The Amazon reference above is one fine example of the auto-pricing engines which second-hand booksellers use. Their system trawls the internet for copies of a book they hold and then price their copy a little above the price of a competitor. This is a daily occurrence and over time absolutely silly, parallel, prices result, as you can see in the example.
Often a direct approach to the vendor will generate a more reasoned response.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Andy_Blackley

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 11/07/2015 :  12:59:56  Show Profile
Peter:
Thanks for the links. I will track those down.

Well, I am now the official owner of MG PA P453. I bought it from the widow of the owner who bought it in 1977. He did not get very far other than buying a new tub and a few other bits. There are some remains of the old upholstery and interior that give some clues to the original color (green). It still has the original wings and running boards and the bonnet which has "0453" stamped on the hinge, so that is all good. It also came with a set of new headlamps, in the box. The engine number is "703A 135P" and the gearbox has "201" and "135" below. I will post some pictures.

The disappointing thing is that the original "clocks" are all missing. It came with a home made dashboard with formica like wood veneer with cutouts similar to a T series. Evidently a previous owner had made something more to his taste to "update" it way back when.

Andy Blackley
PA 453
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000