Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Beaulieu M Type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterN

United Kingdom
240 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2015 :  21:12:33  Show Profile
Whilst taking a few reference pictures of the Museum's M Type I noticed the headlamp chrome bezels are quite different to mine. Is there a known history of this design. They look almost back to front. The Beaulieu staff that I spoke to didn't seem to know they were different to the usual design.

Peter
1930 M type MG 748
2M/1506

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 28/07/2015 :  22:01:38  Show Profile
Wrong side lamps too. And a side-valve Minor chassis!
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  09:31:19  Show Profile
The headlights look like a bodge using whatever components were to hand. Is that mastic round the inner bezel? Correct R47 parts are available from Austin Repro, who make complete replicas.

Sadly, bearing in mind its location, this car is not a great specimen and the Minor chassis is the ultimate indignity. I believe there is a better, more honest example at Myreton Motor Museum in Scotland but for some of us that's quite a trip.

Peter, if you have specific queries I'm sure members would be happy to come up with answers and photos. I have had lots of help, including permission to stick my camera into all sorts of dark places in other members' cars!

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  10:19:13  Show Profile
Malcolm,
As the M Type Midget and all subsequent four cylinder Triple M cars owe their very existence and subsequent lineage to the Morris Minor chassis its hardly the "ultimate indignity" for this replica and the scores of other similar M Type creations to be labelled in this way.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  11:11:57  Show Profile
There is an expression describing a car as "museum quality". Unfortunately (in my opinion) museums often display examples which are glossy and restored but not good examples. Having found a place in a museum enthusiasts can make the error of believing the car they see there must be one of the best examples.

Although the car in the Myreton Motor Museum is very well used, faded and painted wrongly in places where it should be chromed (etc) it is actually still largely original. I have found it well worth a number of visits. I have paid special attention to this car because my M-type is 2M 1802 and this one is 2M 1817.

The most original M-type I have ever seen is 2M 371 complete with some original special features including special order external spare wheel and special order colour scheme. Although it still has its original interior it acquired a D-type remote and sump some time after 1956. Is it still known to the Register?

Here is another car which is actually closer to 'museum quality" (in my opinion) than the red creation above.

MV 12 is a late example and although it has lost its original engine I believe it is a good example of a late fabric bodied car. I think this is worthy of the description of "museum quality". (Currently owned by Andy King)

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 29/07/2015 11:16:30
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  12:05:24  Show Profile
Sam, 2M 371 is listed on the Register - the notes say it has a solid nickel rad shell and there's no mention of the other changes you mention.

The owner is a Mr. Gavin Barnett, the latest owner change in the records being in June 2007.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  13:23:29  Show Profile
Chris,

Apologies if my post suggested a sleight against Minors. None was intended. I readily acknowledge all we owe to the Minor. The point I wanted to make (but did not adequately explain) was that I expect higher standards from the curators at the National Motor Museum. The name suggests that it has some aspirations to being authoritative. If it puts up a car as being representative of a particular marque and model, then I think it should take a bit more care about the car it chooses or come clean about what is actually on show. Even the Register is choosy about what is allowed to be called a replica. Perhaps this car was a gift or a loan, in which case the expression about a gift horse might be relevant. But should that lower the standards that we expect of the curators?

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  14:09:54  Show Profile
To be fair, the Beaulieu Minor/M-type is probably not a bad car and to the average visitor to the museum it gives a reasonable impression of what an M-type looks like.

One wonders how many other cars in museums are not perfect examples.

Off topic but here is a J2 at Gaydon.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 29/07/2015 14:13:00
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  14:49:13  Show Profile
Dick, I think Gavin Barnett sold 2M 371 but I cannot be certain.

By the way, there is postcard on eBay showing the Beaulieu "M-type' which describes it as "1930 MG Midget M Type Sports Morris Minor Type". Very apt.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1930-MG-Midget-M-Type-Sports-Morris-Minor-Type-Classic-Car-Photo-Postcard-NEW-/371379061695?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item5677eac3bf

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 29/07/2015 15:01:32
Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  15:32:10  Show Profile
Malcolm - Umbridge scanner retracted. The image is just for the record.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  16:36:13  Show Profile
Thanks Sam

Is there any way of finding out who he might have sold it to? If people could remember to let the Register know about ownership changes we would have an even more accurate Register!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2015 :  17:16:31  Show Profile
Owning a J2 I would hesitate to comment on an M type,but I think there is one also in the Lakeland Motor Museum.

If we are being picky the Gaydon J2 has hydraulic brakes,the wrong headlamp glasses and no obvious way of using the starting handle.

David
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2015 :  07:36:28  Show Profile
There certainly is one at the Lakeland Museum, at Back Barrow near the south end of Windermere. I have a video of it somewhere, which I will try to load to YouTube.

I will report back if successful.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2015 :  10:38:47  Show Profile
This example (registration number AZ 5611 - 2M 1270 ) displayed in Germany is not bad.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 30/07/2015 10:43:14
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2015 :  13:16:05  Show Profile
I believe the Beaulieu M Type is the personal property of Lord Montaque and does not belong to the National Motor Museum Trust as is the case with several other exhibts.
However the P type at Beaulieu does belong to the National Motor Museum Trust.
Lord Montaque of course, opened Kimber House for the MGCC 25 years ago this month
George

Edited by - George Wilder on 30/07/2015 13:16:44
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2015 :  21:46:16  Show Profile
I have uploaded a video (possibly more to come) of the M type at Lakeland Motor Museum.

The address is:

http://youtu.be/BmX1_6CpQp0

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000