Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PB standard paint colours
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  10:35:11  Show Profile
I have just obtained my car details from the archives and the car was originally painted Blue with Blue interior, wheels in silver as stated on the build chart.
I assume that the Blue would have come from a standard colour chart. Does such a chart exist now and if so would I be able to obtain the RAL number or any indication of the shade of Blue?

MG PB 0726 manufactured 1936.
Any help would be appreciated.

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  11:17:34  Show Profile
Graham,
There may be some help if you look in "Document Downloads - Technical - Miscellaneous - Paint Colours".

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Drolshagen

Germany
669 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  11:25:42  Show Profile
Hi Graham,

I hope the following attachment could be helpful for you?

cheers Carl

J2 4362
L2 2036
Go to Top of Page

graham3647

United Kingdom
448 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  18:32:25  Show Profile
Thanks, Bruce/ Carl. your information most welcome. I have just have to decide if I like the colour now?
Many thanks for your assistance.

Graham.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  19:27:39  Show Profile
Graham,
There is more information on Triple-M paint/colours if you log-in and do a search on "two-tone paint".

Note that for a P Type the two-tone split should be;
(a) The lighter shade body tub, doors, and bonnet , and
(b) The darker shade for the wings, front apron, rear wing stays, radiator slats, and spare wheel carrier (ref. Mike Allison, see search results – NB. A waistline colour split was for 6 cylinder N-Magnettes).

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  21:29:04  Show Profile
Bruce, I don't think you are correct about the front apron being in the darker shade on two-tone P-types. The petrol tank is in the lighter shade, whereas the front wing stays are the darker (but soemtime black anyway!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 02/08/2015 21:30:43
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  22:29:01  Show Profile
Dick,
Please see this previous post:
"Posted - 16/07/2008 : 12:37:16 Show Profile Email Poster
Hi Bruce,
I am glad you asked this one, as most people seem to think that a colour break at the waist-line is the way to go for the Midgets, but this only applied to the N-Magnettes. The NA having the lighter shade lower, and the NB higher.
All the Midgets were as you described, body tub lighter shade, and wings darker. The apron, tank and so forth all match the wings. I was told by Jack Butler, foreman of the paint shop in my time, that the reason for this was that the wings, apron, and tank were painted at Abingdon, and the body tub in Coventry! Colour matching in those days was done by batches of paint, and it was never easy for the two factories to mix IDENTICAL colours. The radiator slats on the two-tone cars was to the darker colour. All parts associated with the chassis were black, except the heavy parts of the spare-wheel carrier, which should be the darker shade.

MG were one of the pioneers in this country of two-tone colour schemes, this being a feature of the original Bullnose panelled (as opposed to fabric) saloons, te tourers having engine-turned and polished lower panels.
I hope this helps.
Good luck!
Mike Allison"

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 02/08/2015 22:31:41
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  23:11:51  Show Profile
Bruce,

I hate to argue with Mike however, this well known factory photo was published, among other places, in Mike's book, "The Magic of MG";

I agree we cannot really see the tank, but the apron is clearly in the lighter tone and my own feeling is that a dark tank looks frankly weird. I realise that that statement would not cut much ice with a car manufacturer, but one cannot argue with their own photo!

I think the extreme top of the tank may be visible in the triangle between the tonneau, spare wheel and rear wing, and that it IS pale.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  23:38:39  Show Profile
Have a look at the members cars images in this website, NB, and look at the two blues of Tom Metcalf's NB 2 seater.

These two blues are identical to an NB in our workshop especialy from the area of the front panel under the wing flange. Also the same as a PB in Toms care.

The late Terry Andrews, Tom and I did much work identifying these correct shades of blue. Posting samples around the world.

They are not the modern equivalent colours mentioned in the previous hand written notes. These correct modern equivelant shades are described in a post in the archives.

When I say corrrect it would seem consistent over 3-4 cars of that era, but as has been noted, shades may have been slightly different as batches were produced at the time.

[

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  02:24:02  Show Profile
Although I claim to be anything but an expert, let's remember that the question was asked of a PB, not an NB. The color shades on an NB are mostly reversed from those on a PB. I am told this is due to the larger profile of the N types over the P types. I'm don't claim to know whether this applied to all N types or just the NB.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 03/08/2015 02:25:32
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  03:42:46  Show Profile
Lew, Tom can verify this himself, but I did include a PB reference of his in my post as it was confirmed at that time as being the same shades of blues as the NB's that we were comparing.

I am only trying to asist with the shades of blue.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  08:01:03  Show Profile
Just to add to the debate, my little rather original green 2 tone J has a light tank and dark front apron.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6122 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  08:14:18  Show Profile
Yet this factory photo of the swept wing J2 would seem to show a front apron painted body colour - http://www.photoboxgallery.com/triplemgallery/photo?photo_id=20409617724&vendor%5Fid=4072976

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  09:02:06  Show Profile
Since my post last night I have had a trawl though "The Magic of MG" and find a swept wing J2, very like the one Simon found, and showing quite clearly a pale apron as do an L1 Salonette, an L2 and the prototype PB however, the real coup is this showing quite clearly a pale tank; I rest my case.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  09:02:09  Show Profile
If you drive it fast enough no-one will notice the colour!

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6122 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2015 :  09:37:08  Show Profile
While these factory photos may be of cars specially prepared for display, this photo - http://www.photoboxgallery.com/triplemgallery/photo?photo_id=20413231294&vendor%5Fid=4072976 - clearly shows a production swept wing J2 in the background with a body coloured tank.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000