Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Driving ban at 80
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2015 :  18:10:43  Show Profile
John James mentions in the thread about re registering cars the MG Octagon Car Club.

A disturbing report has been carried in their Bulletin which I have not seen elsewhere and I would be interested in comments. This concerns an EU (who else?!) plan to ban all drivers from their 80th birthday. It would seem that an opt out by the UK would not be possible.

Ten years to go.....Anyone emigrating?

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 16/08/2015 18:11:12

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2015 :  19:01:46  Show Profile
I would have thought "age discrimination" should prevent this.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2015 :  22:37:16  Show Profile
Dave

I picked up on your EU comment.

I have had this from Molly Scott Cato, my Green MEP.

Can you provide bit more information then she will be able to look into it.

Her is what she said.

Cheers

P

Hi Peter

We have a steady stream of such stories and, to be honest, I am loath to ask my staff for their time unless we have a reliable source since many of the stories are just made up. Would you be able to go back to your friend and ask him who wrote the story for the Octogon Club? We could then ask her/him their source for the story. I can find nothing online suggesting that this plan is in the offing. It could be that it will emerge from the Commission at some point but if it isn't under discussion yet I won't be able to find out anything anyway.

So could you get a bit more chapter-and-verse and if it looks like there is something in it we will invest some time?

Thanks

Molly

Molly Scott Cato
Green MEP for South West England
Professor of Green Economics, University of Roehampton
Green Party Finance Speaker
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2015 :  10:54:47  Show Profile
If there is any truth in this suggestion, I think that there will be one hell of an explosion when the news is firmed up. A large number of VSCC Members (some of them quite influential people) are already over 80 and in my case (albeit totally non-infuential), I only have 6 months to go

Seems to me to be one more reason for dumping the whole EU project - assuming that it won't blow itself apart during the next few months.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1502 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2015 :  11:18:39  Show Profile
I believe this was a hoax that got into the Octagon Car Club magazine. I believe that's what the magazine people told my father after he did some digging :)

Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) and MG Motor (BTCC) and a big prewar MG fan, who would love to own one.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2015 :  16:00:03  Show Profile
I hope you are right Colin!

Peter,unfortunately my filing system is not what it should be and so far I've only established that it was mentioned on page 20 of issue 529 which was published in May. There are two incredulous letters about it in issue 531, July/Aug.

As I'm about to leave for Lincolnshire I won't be looking any further yet but maybe in the meantime, knowing where to look, some one else will find it?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2015 :  16:10:36  Show Profile
Not sure what the percentage of over 80s drivers is but I'm sure no government would want to lose the tax income from such a proportion of the population!

Then add the complaints from insurance companies and I imagine its a non starter...

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 17/08/2015 16:12:25
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2015 :  17:35:42  Show Profile
Thanks Dave

I have the Octagon magazine and will look it up... hoax probably otherwise Molly would have known. She has her finger pretty well on the pulse.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000