Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 rear lights for p type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

critch

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  13:57:42  Show Profile
Hi, does anyone have recommendation for rear lights and indicators for a P Type please. James

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6155 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  14:40:14  Show Profile
James,

Use the standard ST38 rear light, convert it to an LED stop, tail and indicator light board, fit a split amber/red lens, and paint the lens with red stained glass paint to disguise the amber lens. Looks absolutely original and gives you the lights you need. The LEDs are available from Peter Jury www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com

No connection with the company - just a satisfied customer.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3247 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  16:52:31  Show Profile
Why would one need to buy a red/amber lens and paint it all red when solid red ST38 lenses are readily available. Besides, I thought European regulations required amber turn signals.

At the risk of being censured for posting on the wrong forum, I am also a source for ST38 and ST51 LED tail lamp inserts.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6155 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2015 :  17:25:24  Show Profile
Lew,

The reason for using the amber/red lens and then painting it red is that the amber flasher then shows amber through the red painted lens. If you just used a red lens, it wouldn't work.

As for the legal position, flashing red turn signals are legal but as most drivers expect to see amber ones, it seems safer to stick with amber front and back.

P.S. The front side lights can also be easily converted to dual filament bulbs and fitted with LED bulbs to give regular white sidelights with flashing amber turn signals.
Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 07/09/2015 17:32:26
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  09:31:20  Show Profile
I have also fitted my PA with a set of LED lamps from www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com, and can recommend them. Being less concerned with the originality police, I've left mine with amber lenses. Do the headlamps as well, and you'll never need to worry about a flat battery when driving at night.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6155 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  11:39:26  Show Profile
To be honest, it's more aesthetics than originality. I just don't like the look of the amber lenses on a 1930s car.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3247 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  15:27:32  Show Profile
Simon, I don't mean to be argumentative, but any LED shining through a lens of a different color will lose some of its brilliance. So to have amber LEDs behind a red lens will filter some of the amber light. So if the goal is to show amber turn signals, it is best to use amber LEDs with an amber lens. Likewise with red.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6155 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  15:54:17  Show Profile
What can I say, Lew? The flashing amber turn signal is plenty bright enough, even in bright daylight. The red paint used - stained glass paint - doesn't seem to noticeably dim the brightness of the amber LED and I'm very happy with it.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
693 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2015 :  17:46:26  Show Profile
Colin,
In the headlights are you using the latest dipping LED headlight bulbs and if so do they dip satisfactorily?

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
994 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2015 :  10:42:02  Show Profile
I'm using the "BA15d double dipper bulb". This is fitted to the original reflector using a twin terminal bulb holder. As the LED for the dipped beam is on the top of the unit, it is totally shielded from the bottom half of the reflector, so only reflects off the top half, thus giving a very clear cut. On main beam the LED underneath comes on as well as the top one, thus filling the entire reflector. So far I've only set these up against the garage wall, and have not checked them at night. They are focused like an early twin filament bulb, by moving the holder in and out in the reflector. Then of course you have to slacken off the big nut under the headlamp unit to set the height of the beam. Even on main beam there is no discernible movement of the car's ammeter.

Colin

Markinch, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6155 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2015 :  14:12:45  Show Profile
I wonder did the original poster find these replies helpful?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000