Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 ORIGINAL M-TYPE TOOL ROLL W/ TOOLS FOR SALE!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2015 :  10:58:14  Show Profile
I thought this was of general interest:
Click the link for a guy who is selling an original M-Type tool kit in it's tool roll: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ORIGINAL-MG-M-TYPE-TOOL-ROLL-WITH-TOOLS-EXTREMELY-RARE-PRE-WAR-TOOLKIT-/191685757716?hash=item2ca15c8b14
This is NOT me selling this, we already have one. This is different from and is earlier than the repro ones we sell for P-Types/Post M-Type MGs. I just thought someone might be interested in it.

James Collingburn

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2015 :  00:37:19  Show Profile
And here is an image for after the link dies.
Not sure about the snail brand spanners or the grease gun myself.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2015 :  01:38:53  Show Profile
Adjustable spanner dates from 1931 to 1944. Pre 1931 has full slot on body from jaw to adjusting barrel.
I hasten to add that this info is from our own Simon Johnston, who's research is found in the December 2012 Bulletin.
KTS
J3459

Edited by - Kts on 16/09/2015 02:10:28
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2015 :  02:31:05  Show Profile
I also agree with Mathew on the Snail brand spanners. Those shown with the subject roll are more likely proper for an early 50s 120 Jaguar. Simon suggests Shelly brand marked just with the size fraction ( no letters) are more appropriate for the MMM cars, and I concur.

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2015 :  02:41:35  Show Profile
While I'm at it, pliers as shown with wire clips and flattened handle ends are a post war design, according to XK tool expert Roger Payne, the MMM item would have rounded handle tips and no wire clips. The punch is an owner added item.

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2015 :  02:52:42  Show Profile
And finally, the two box spanners listed in the J series manuals are probably single ended. Further evidence of this comes from the Magna manual, which also lists two single dimension box spanners in the same sizes as in the J manual, as well as a number of DOUBLE ENDED box spanners in other sizes. The double ended ones with this kit are probably not what was delivered with an M or J model.

But the roll itself does appear to be an early item, identical to an original posted by Sam Cristie in several posts.

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6127 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2015 :  06:13:23  Show Profile
I might as well throw in my two pennyworth! The spanners are post 1940 as the dual sizing only came into effect in that year as a way of reducing steel consumption by reducing the size of bolt heads and nuts.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2015 :  07:33:04  Show Profile
Ps I wasn't for one second stating that this is a complete and exact original toolkit for a road M-Type. Infact i didn't even look at the tools as i have no interest, that's somebody else's research project. The toolroll however is without doubt of the period and the same as the one Sam posted and I also own one as we may make them in the future. Originally they were made from rexine not leather.

James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2015 :  12:12:05  Show Profile
No critique of your initial post intended, James, just a few buyer beware comments for those who may not spend as much time as Simon or I do trying to get all the details right! In fact, without your alerting us all to this listing, I for one would probably never had seen it, and the many other great tools listed by this vendor. Thanks!

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 16/09/2015 :  21:14:47  Show Profile
I'm still learning - I see by Sam's post of an M-type tool list that a punch was in fact part of the original kit, so I stand corrected on my third post to this topic!

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2015 :  10:49:17  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kts

No critique of your initial post intended, James, just a few buyer beware comments for those who may not spend as much time as Simon or I do trying to get all the details right! In fact, without your alerting us all to this listing, I for one would probably never had seen it, and the many other great tools listed by this vendor. Thanks!

KTS
J3459

No apology needed, I was merely stating that when it comes to the tools I know very little, only interested in the tool roll itself.

James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000