Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Firle Hill Climb Revival
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2015 :  11:43:33  Show Profile
Splendid day out in the Autumn sunshine on top of the beautiful Sussex Downs yesterday. This was the first running of the Firle Hill Climb Revival which took place almost 48 years to the day since the last competitive meeting which was held on the 17th September 1967.

Over sixty cars gathered there yesterday for a series of untimed climbs of the steep 600 yard long hill, including a 1925 Lancia Lamda which competed at the first event held on this hill in 1947 and a 1959 Austin Healey Sebring Sprite which ran in the final meeting in 1967.

Many beautiful cars were there yesterday, including some replica Ecurie Ecosse C and D Type Jaguars, plus Ferraris, Bentleys, Bugattis, GT40s, Lotuses and a pair of fierce Reliant Scimitars in race trim. The oldest car present was a 1907 American Corbin racer from the Foulkes-Halbard Motor Museum at nearby Filching Manor and always impressive was Jim Tiller in his 1947 7.3 litre Allard J2X. This car was timed at Brighton Speed Trials as recently as 2004 at 10.20 seconds for the standing quarter which gave him FTD ahead of many more modern computer controlled four wheel drive turbocharged devices.

The M.G. Marque was represented by a number of immaculate T Types, MGBs and Midgets, including Stewart Penfound with his lovely Lester Special. Stewart also brought along his shining and spotless TA for good measure. Sole MMM entry was Steven Moore in his J2 (J3419) which was campaigned extensively before the war by K W Marten who raced the car at Brooklands and the Brighton Speed Trials. The car has been fitted with a 1172cc engine for many years and spent much of its life in Scotland where it continued its competition successes.

The road is in very good condition as it is a public road leading to a car-park at the top of Bo-Peep hill and it is nice that the organisers were able to rely on the steepness of the incline to keep most people within the 60 mph speed limit, without having to resort to artificial chicanes. It must be said that a few entrants managed to get their cars a bit "out of shape" at the top corner, just as the cars used to do in the old days. It brought back many nice memories of watching drivers like Arthur Owen, Patsy Burt, Gordon Parker and Rivers Fletcher. I hope that this meeting can be repeated next year, ideally on a different week-end to the well known Kop Hill Revival.

Colin B.

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2015 :  14:36:11  Show Profile
Ooh, if only I had known ! Was there in mid 60,s in my first MGA.
Hope they repeat it next year.
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2015 :  18:32:56  Show Profile
I had not heard about this one , and , if I had , would certainly have been there . Many, many happy memories of the early 60s. There were always wonderful cars competing, mostly ex-works Astons , Jaguars, Bentleys and the like. So please , Colin , keep everyone informed if it mis to be run again.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2015 :  20:48:37  Show Profile
Sunny firle:

And not so sunny....

Anyone brave enough to take a punt?

JH
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2015 :  20:52:25  Show Profile
Mel Jones J4 rep and Bob Hudsons C type(is it Bob driving though?). 1963??
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2015 :  10:49:41  Show Profile
The organiser certainly hopes to run this event again next year, and I will make a point of posting news on this forum as soon as it comes through. In the meantime, you can read all about it by searching on IE or Google etc under "Bo-Peep Drivers Club".

Coin B.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2015 :  19:35:31  Show Profile
Pretty much spot on Olli. Mel & J2 was in 1963, with the Hudson C (Nick Wardle aboard) from 1964.

JH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000