Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 j2 door catches
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

njnh

United Kingdom
405 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 :  14:34:13  Show Profile
I am still looking for a pair of door catches for my J2. The covers should have the "scalloped" concave edges. I am rebuilding the doors and now is the time to fit the correct catches. Any positive responses will be gratefully received!

Nigel

Oz34

United Kingdom
2560 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 :  19:30:32  Show Profile
Hello Nigel,

I am not able to help you with latches however you may be interested in my experience with my car which, being an early PA, has J2 latches.
I decided to fit the new ones which are available and had no probelms for over 1000 miles until to our horror, my wife's door flew open despite my having as I thought checked it properly.

Investigation revealed that the latching pin was jumping off its guiding track thus;

This as you can see is an original one but this is what was happening on the new ones and the latching pin thus engaged just enough to persuade you that it was latched....until the first bump. I found that on the originals, the track was shaped thus in cross section, until old age and wear set in. This of course would have prevented the jumping off.;

On the new latches the cross section was merely rectangular thus not providing this protection.

I have now had the old ones cold metal sprayed with the intention of filing the tracks back to the as new section, but in the meantime have improved my "pre take off check". Instead of, as previously, grasping the top edge of the door and "waggling" it, I now check the top end of the internal operating lever. If the pin has jumped, the lever can freely move about an inch, but if all is good, it will only move about 1/8 inch.

Good luck with your search,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
405 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2015 :  19:35:38  Show Profile
Thanks for your comments Dave. They're not called "suicide doors" for nothing!

Still looking for a pair of J2 catches - any condition considered.

Best wishes,
Nigel
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000