Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 PA 0489 ?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2016 :  23:22:36  Show Profile

About six years ago this PA came up for auction in Branson, Missouri. It didn't create any interest and it didn't reach it's asking price.

I'm wondering where it is now and did it change hands. It was actually
brought over about a week earlier from Australia by the owner of the auction house along with an NA that was also up for auction and didn't sell.

PA 0489. Ex. Aussie Aspinal bodied. Winner of the 1934 Australian Grand Prix at Philip Island, I believe.

Brian Kelly.

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2016 :  07:29:16  Show Profile
Hi Brian

This car remains something of a mystery, at least so far as Register records are concerned.

However the records do confirm that the car was an unassembled export to Australia, where it was fitted with an Aspinell body. First owner a J. Flood in 1934? Subsequent owners over there included C.F. King '34, H. Firth, R. Williams, R. Roberts, E. Milkins, G. Scott '86.

The car, which we still have recorded with an Aussie owner in Ferntree Gulley, Victoria was up for sale in May 2016. The last recorded owner change was in 1996.

So, here is yet another car for which we would very much like to complete the jigsaw!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

tjackson

Australia
105 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2016 :  22:15:48  Show Profile
PA0489 was delivered to Lanes Motors, Melbourne, fitted with a doorless two seater body by Aspinall, and delivered to the first owner C.F.King by Lanes in July 1934.

The 1934 Australian Grand Prix was held in March 1934 and although no P-types were entered MGs did well, K3002 finished 2nd (with fastest lap), J4416 finished third, L0546 finished 4th, and J3766 finished 6th. The winning Singer was given a 35min start and the K3 fell only seconds short of chasing it down over 206 miles. The 1935 and 1936 Australian Grand Prix were won by Les Murphy driving Aspinall bodied P-types.

I am not sure if PA0489 is still in the States or back in Australia
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000