Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 2M 2824
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

geoffw

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2016 :  21:22:16  Show Profile
In the Members Cars section of this site there is a photo of my M (2M 2824) labelled Autocar 13 May 1966. Does anyone have any more details - driver, where photo was taken etc.

The other photos in the section are of the car (& me)not long after the car was re-commissioned following 18 years in a museum.

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  13:29:40  Show Profile
Geoff
I have added the image for you.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2016 :  19:53:36  Show Profile
Hello Geoff,

According to our Register database that registration mark is associated with two M-types:

2M 2824, which seemingly carried the mark from day one
and
2M 3328.

As it happens, both cars are listed as being in your ownership, so it's perhaps not surprising that the 3328 may at some stage have had the reg of 2M 2824 - assuming of course that there is no identity confusion about the two two cars.

Do the cars have Australian plates now?

Regards
Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 11/11/2016 19:54:25
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  09:52:10  Show Profile
Geoff,
If you bought the 2 cars from the same owner it is quite likely that in those far off days of yore an owner of similar cars would swop plates to use them on the road so that the road tax bought for one car would serve for two! The chances of getting caught were minimal because the only way would be for the police to check chassis numbers.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2016 :  15:07:32  Show Profile
There was a GP in rural Lincolnshire who had three M's.
Which ever car was running at the time had the registration to match the current tax disc.
Apparently the local bobby used to comment on the lines of "I see you have changed the colour of your car again, doctor ! "
Go to Top of Page

geoffw

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2016 :  22:03:44  Show Profile
Nick thanks for adding the image

Dick, Keith & Tony - I don't have 2 M's, I have one M with 2 identities! I purchased the car back in 1976 while living in the UK, from the paperwork I got with the car I understood it was 2M 3328 registration TG 2977. Certainly the body (factory metal bodied car) & the engine are from 2M 3328 but at the time I didn't check the chassis number as the front valance was bolted on & looked difficult to remove, besides these things weren't so important 40 years ago. One thing that probably should have flagged all was not as it seemed was that among the items that came with the car was the identity plate for 2M 2824.
I lived in blissful ignorance until around 2003 when I tried to add my car to the Register only to be informed it was already on the Register as 2M 2824!
I then took off the valance & tried to find the chassis number to no avail! There are no numbers on either dumb iron (other than the part number), I even had a police forensics office friend try with his chemicals. He concluded that neither dumb iron had ever been stamped.
I have decided that the most likely scenario is that the body & running gear from 2M 3328 were transferred to 2M 2824 after an accident, probably in the 1950's & that the dumb iron with the chassis number on it was changed to one with no number so 2M 3328's registration could be retained without having to fill in lots of paperwork.

Dick - the cars present registration number is HS 4855, a Queensland Historic Vehicle concession number.

Geoff.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2016 :  08:08:15  Show Profile
Thanks Geoff

I'll ask Mike Dalby, our sub-registrar for the M-types to get in touch off line to see what we can do to help resolve the mystery!

Regards
Dick
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2016 :  14:46:26  Show Profile
Geoff
In which case could you have a Morris Minor chassis ? - following the accident that might have happened.
I am not sure where MM chassis numbers were stamped.
No doubt young Mr Grace [sorry] will provide an answer.
Tony

PS I have 2M3338 which is just 10 cars after what might or might not be yours

Edited by - tonym on 14/11/2016 14:48:55
Go to Top of Page

gwaiting

United Kingdom
78 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2016 :  19:28:20  Show Profile
Hi Tony,
Morris Minors are stamped in the same place as M types, usually of course a much higher number, with a prefix letter.
Regards,
Garry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000