Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 P Type AHU668
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2016 :  18:28:48  Show Profile
A few weeks ago, I looked through the buff log book for NA0950. A couple of names looked distinctive enough that they might be traceable, and I sent two letters off to current addresses that seemed reasonably close to where the owners had lived. I was delighted to hear a few days later from a gentleman who had owned my car in the 60s. He is 73 now and had bought it - his first car - aged 21 or 22. A friend had a P Type which made quite an impression on him, so he decided he had to look for something similar. A few weeks later, he bought NA0950 for £60.

NA0950 was in poor condition and it took a year to get it back on the road. He had it painted green (from the original ivory) by a professional coach painter ("a dying art, even then") who brush painted it, but did such a good job that it looked as though it had been sprayed. I am sure that his paint is still on the car today.

NA0950 was driven 10 miles to work in Bristol each day, until one morning it hit a Morris Traveller coming the other way. The owner didn't have the money to fix it so he sold it - for £80!

The friend's P Type is in the attached photo, registration AHU668. Does anybody know anything about it? If it's your car, I'm sure the previous owner of NA0950 would be happy to hear from you.

Letchworth, Herts
NA0950

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2016 :  19:48:52  Show Profile
Hello Kevin,

AHU 668 is PA0589, which is known to the Register, albeit we do not know the name of the person who now has it.

The most recent chain of owners that we are aware of, starting with the most recent are:
Mr Howells (1960-2) Mr. Michelini of Bristol c.1949 , Miss K Bush (the original owner.

Mr Howells has also recently been in touch with us seeking information about his car, so any information or leads you can offer would be extremely welcome!

Can you estimate when and where the photo was taken, please?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 29/12/2016 19:50:13
Go to Top of Page

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2016 :  20:15:30  Show Profile
This would be 1966 or 1967, almost certainly in Hillside Gardens, Bishop Sutton. I'd be happy to put Mr Howells in touch with my contact. It doesn't exactly bring the record up to date, but it would fill in a bit more of the history.

Letchworth, Herts
NA0950
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2016 :  20:33:03  Show Profile
Thanks for the swift response, Kevin

The Register itself would be very keen to receive info about the former owner of PA0589 - or the former owner of NA0950 himself - if you would be kind enough to put either of them in touch with me. My contact details are on the contacts screen of this website Any personal information received is held confidentially.

As you probably know, the Register is a Register of the MG Car Club and one of our main tasks is the maintenance of records of all surviving Triple-M cars. There are around 4,000 of them known to have survived (out of a production of just over 11,000 of the blighters) so we have our hands pretty full keeping up with the history of the cars, never mind more recent events!

Thanks in advance
Dick Morbey
Register chairman and PA sub-registrar

Edited by - DickMorbey on 29/12/2016 20:33:25
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2016 :  20:41:38  Show Profile
Kevin PS
Hillside Gardens seems a very likely location, judging by this picture from Streetview. The nearest house on the LHS has been extended but the rest of the street scene seems much the same!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 29/12/2016 :  22:02:29  Show Profile
The cars aren't as nice, though, are they? ;-)

Letchworth, Herts
NA0950
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000