Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 JX 171
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2017 :  10:13:52  Show Profile
I have recently acquired this picture by Richard Wheatland of a Triple M car. I cannot find the car via the DVLA. Does anybody know if it is a real car or a figment of the artists imagination. If it is a real car I think it would be better on the owners wall rather than mine.
Keith

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2017 :  10:40:54  Show Profile
Keith:

Richard Wheatland has a website link below.
Only know this through the internet.
Unusual name ; so worth a email.
If anything comes of it, please post result.
All the best.
John Bakewell

http://www.richardwheatland.com
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2017 :  11:52:17  Show Profile
JX 171 doesn't pop up on the database either, I'm sorry to say!
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2017 :  17:12:19  Show Profile
If you click on Richard Wheatland’s website as above then click on ‘Automotive art for sale ‘ there is a superb painting of an R type in action , possibly Mark Piercey driving.
Unfortunately it has been sold .
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2017 :  19:41:33  Show Profile
JX was first issued in May 1932 and continued through to May 1947.The issuing authority was HALIFAX CBC. It's possible that the West Yorkshire Archive Service might be able to turn something up on JX 171.

The West Yorkshire Archive Service (based in Wakefield) holds the records of the seven former Local Authority Vehicle Taxation Districts and came up trumps recently when I was assisting the owner of PA2081 to reclaim his old registration mark AKY 212. The Archive Service had the original "Declaration for a licence and Application for Registration" for AKY 212 and my submission sailed through DVLA within two weeks.

JOHN JAMES DVLA rep. MG Octagon Car Club.

Edited by - John James on 21/11/2017 19:43:28
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2017 :  10:04:54  Show Profile
Most likely a figment of the artists imagination. Best person to speak to is Richard Wheatland. Go on. He won't bite !

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2017 :  12:00:30  Show Profile
I have emailed Richard and am waiting to hear.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2017 :  16:14:37  Show Profile
I have had the following interesting reply from Richard which does not help a lot but look out for his Christmas card this year!!!!
Keith
"Hi Keith
Sorry I can't remember the origin of the subject, it may have been a 'made up' registration.

This painting was done a long time ago, 'probably 25 years or more?' for the motor industry benevolent charity BEN, the original painting was part of a set of 4 'monochrome' gouache paintings commissioned by BEN to use for advertising in the Daily Express. Four motor manufacturers sponsored full page 'awareness' ads. Rolls Royce,Vauxhall, Austin Rover and Saab. The idea was to take subjects from automotive history to represent those manufacturers. For Rolls-Royce I did an early Silver Ghost, for Vauxhall I did a 60's Cresta, Austin Rover who weren't making 'proper MG's' at the time but still using the badge, they had this one and finally for Saab I did a Monte Carlo Rally scene. Of the four paintings the MG one was probably the best of the bunch and the people at BEN decided to do a print from the painting, which I think sold quite well, I remember signing a few but not the whole print run. The prints do come up at various sales quite often and I've been asked about the history of the prints on quite a few occasions. I look at it now and like all things in the art business, things move on over time, I hope my work has improved I was very new to all this in those days, I still have strong connections with BEN at Sunninghill and they still use me as their Christmas Card artist, 28 consecutive years now, you may be interested to know I've used a pre-war MG for this years card.

thanks for the interest
regards
Richard Wheatland GAvA GMA"
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2017 :  21:46:31  Show Profile
My print , which l have had for many years , is titled ‘Spirit of the 40s ‘ is numbered 214 of 500 .
Go to Top of Page

pwharley

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 23/12/2020 :  22:37:08  Show Profile
JX171 is not a valid registration for that vehicle.

It was issued to an Austin hearse, as depicted in this photo.

Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2020 :  12:48:47  Show Profile
Is it possible the body was changed?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1936 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2020 :  13:02:20  Show Profile
Regularly, one hopes.

Edited by - coracle on 24/12/2020 13:03:34
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2020 :  16:08:33  Show Profile
Ha! ha! Nice one Nigel !

Best wishes,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2020 :  21:22:45  Show Profile
So Keith all your endeavours came to a dead end. Don't forget M.G. were in Cemetery Road.

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2020 :  09:20:52  Show Profile
I was amazed to see this thread reopened after 3 years. Once I had established that the registration number was made up I gave it to the MGCC Sussex Wanderers for their Christmas charity auction. I wasn't present when the auction happened so I have no idea who bought it. Lets hope they have read this reopened thread as I think the hearse connection and the changing of bodies line is hilarious!
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6121 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2020 :  16:19:16  Show Profile
Paul (Harley)

I’m curious as to what brought you to this thread three years after the previous post to yours in order to solve the mystery?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000