Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Distributor cap for MG NA
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

R Howard

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2023 :  10:48:27  Show Profile
I have discovered that the copper contact for No. 1 cylinder in the distributor cap on my MG NA has got damaged over time so I cannot now get a spark. This is due to a spacer having be put under the screw by someone so the central spindle was not tightened down correctly so it has been lifting up and wearing away the contacts.

I therefore need to get a replacement and happy to pay the going rate for the right part. The distributor on the car is a Lucas DFH6-A.

Please would any one who could help contact me on 01628773005.

Robin

Mark T Boldry

United Kingdom
96 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2023 :  09:41:07  Show Profile
I MAY have such a thing, if not, have you tried Martin... The Distributor Doctor..?

Mark T Boldry

J2 3714
L1 0589
D 0431
M 2M3338

Knaresborough, North Yorkshire.
Go to Top of Page

R Howard

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2023 :  10:32:28  Show Profile
Mark

That's good news. I am shortly going out so please would you leave me a message with your contact number on the number I gave above and I will ring you back later today. The number has an answering machine.

Robin
Go to Top of Page

Chris MD Little

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2023 :  10:03:04  Show Profile
Robin, I have a spare for my NB that I bought from Martin - The Distributor Doctor. I expect he has more.
Worth noting that old new Bakerlite spares can change in shape while in storage over the years. Mine needed careful filing around the engagement diameter to get it to fit
Best regards,
Chris

Chris Little
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2023 :  11:22:02  Show Profile
Robin,
I was lucky before to find an N-type rotor cap at:
https://www.jbvintagespares.co.uk/shop/4561158208/m1190-ah-distributor-cap/10845446
It's worth a try !

Sometimes the contacts in a distributor cover are eaten away if you do not use exactly the right type of rotor.

Colin Butchers told a while ago in this forum about N-type rotor arms:

Incidentally, Lucas had two versions of these rotor arms (the M2799/3 and the M2799/4) which look virtually identical, but on the former the electrode projection is 7/32" (5,55mm) long and on the latter, it is 1/8" (3,17mm) long. Get the wrong one, and your expensive distributor cap will go bang as soon as you try to start the engine.
´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´´
The original LUCAS rotor has a distance from the center to the point of
2 x 23,16 = 46,33mm

Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

R Howard

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2023 :  14:16:58  Show Profile
Chris and Gerhard

I have been away since Monday and could not remember my forum password so hence my belated reply now to thank you both for your very helpful posts.

I did manage to get what I needed from Mark and also by talking to both Martin the DD and JB vintage I also found out about the different types of rotor arms and surprise surprise someone had put in the longer one so hence the damage!! I now have the correct one and I
hope to get the NA running again shortly.

Neither Martin or JBV had any of the rotor caps.

Robin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000