Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 L type clutch disk centres
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Putnam

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2023 :  13:40:12  Show Profile
Greetings,

Am looking for L type clutch disk centres. This is for the twin plate L type clutch. Sports & Vintage Motors say they don't have any nor have any plans at this time to make up a batch.

If anyone has access to a broach we can turn new centres on a lathe, but need to have a broach to form the internal spline.

Photos of an original set as well as a worn centre attached.

Thank you,

Bill

bputnam@cityofmadison.com

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2023 :  08:10:34  Show Profile
Bill these are the 2 friction plates, I had new ones laser cut, and have one new centre and one good original.
Also I have new round/dome head steel rivets I obtained from the UK.
The issue with the rivets is you'll have to make a punch and mandrel to fit, the head dia is 9.68mm.
Cant help you with the broach unfortunately.

N.D.Willey

Edited by - Moth eaten on 31/10/2023 08:13:53
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2023 :  10:18:53  Show Profile
You could cut the splines without a broach using the lathe and a slotting attachment.

Try doing a search on cutting internal splines on a lathe.

Example: https://www.google.com/search?sca_esv=578109502&sxsrf=AM9HkKkqe5ojh6SGAlV2VxCqrjvViI-Lpw:1698748316086&q=cutting+internal+splines+on+a+lathe&tbm=vid&source=lnms&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiTq8XPiqCCAxUZQEEAHVSmBlQQ0pQJegQIDBAB#fpstate=ive&vld=cid:e54c04f1,vid:Ee0jZQ7FyzE,st:0

Edited by - coracle on 31/10/2023 10:34:35
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2023 :  14:57:08  Show Profile
I have found a J clutch plate (I think) when rummaging about which might be of use to you. I don't know if it is a suitable substitute for one of the L type plates.

The splines are fine and the disk itself has been replaced some time ago. The disk is 7 1/4" overall diameter.

I bought it in anticipation of needing the splined centre but subsequently managed to satisfy my need by other means so it is now surplus to my requirements.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Putnam

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2023 :  14:03:31  Show Profile
Thanks for everyone's posts.

The J2 centre profile does not work with the L type double plate design, unfortunately. Will look more into using a lathe or mill to cut the internal splines-have access to both as well as a dividing head. Already have rivets, punch and mandrel-have replaced the centre on J2 disks several times.

Best wishes,

Bill Putnam

Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2023 :  19:20:17  Show Profile
Nigel, it is possible to broach on the lathe but the lathe will not thank you for such punishment! It is far more preferable using a slotting head on the mil.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 06/11/2023 19:21:33
Go to Top of Page

Hornet

United Kingdom
382 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2023 :  21:39:42  Show Profile
very simple job to slot them with a slotter , or slotting head on a mill , I made tooling to slot these many years ago and its pretty simple . any decent mach shop should be able to do this
Go to Top of Page

Bill Putnam

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2023 :  16:37:56  Show Profile
New centres have been found, thanks to all who responded. Best wishes and Safety Fast, Bill

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000