Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Headlight Dazzle
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2024 :  12:49:07  Show Profile
If like me you think that headlamp dazzle is a growing problem not just for us but the driving community in general there is now a route to get the matter considered at Government level. Following a discussion with the RAC, who have been campaigning about this problem for some time, there is a petition where drivers can get their collective voice heard.
I do find that the problem with these petitions is that the information about their existence get little publicity.

If you feel that this matter should be addressed use the link below to petition for this. Further more if other motoring organisations get on the band waggon and we all pass this on to our driving friends and family it could ensure that the matter has to be addressed at the highest level.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/653793

This is the link, for your vote and even, should you be motivated enough copy and past it to your other clubs, friends and family.

Roger

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2024 :  15:26:44  Show Profile
Thank you Roger.I had heard about this but you have led me straight to the voting point. It has been a matter that has bewildered me for some years having prepared my own cars for MOTs for some 50 years and always there was a headlight alignment test which was rigidly enforced to stop dazzling. It amazes me that these new generations of cars with unfocussed LED beams have been somehow legally able to be sold when even on "so called side lights" in bright sunlight they have the abilty to dazzle oncoming traffic. Where I live the lanes are mostly single track with passing places up in the Surrey Hills and a few years ago in the middle of the day I was driving one of my sports cars on a narrow "tree tunnel" part when an oncoming car with its headlights on forced me to a standstill as I just could not see past the lights. I waited for something to happen but nothing did so I got out and asked the driver to off his lights so I coud see to get past him. He looked astonished but after a few seconds he responded that he didn't know how to turn them off! He was driving a Range Rover who's headlights were higher than my windscreen. Since then I have always carried a pair of yellow tinted night driving glasses with me which helps mitigate the glare.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Mikeenty

United Kingdom
198 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2024 :  07:52:53  Show Profile
Here Here.
Job done.
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
660 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2024 :  16:20:26  Show Profile
Done, 7810 right now, heading for the first step at 10,000. I'll also alert my VMR membership.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2024 :  19:18:54  Show Profile
Likewise, I have signed the petition.
I have forwarded it to others of my now retired engineering colleagues, one of whom who has detailed product certification knowledge offered the following:

"Thanks for this link to the Headlamp Dazzle Petition. I have signed it.

An issue of importance and one I have been interested in for a long time, going back to my working days at Bentley when certain vehicle and headlamp manufacturers were pressing the European legislators for changes to the Lighting Directives/Regulations to provide more "freedom" for styling influences in headlamp, front lamp clusters and rear lamps (stop, tail & direction indicators). The first set of changes were introduced to the "Regs" whilst I was still working and allowed freedom in the shape and positioning of the illuminated area of the rear lamps, leading to designs such as the BMW Mini with its "Union Jack" shaping and the other "Branding" designs that are now quite common. Also, the separation distance of the front direction indicator lamp from the headlamp was reduced to enable headlamps, sidelamps, daytime running lamps and front DIs to be incorporated into a single styled unit. Now, with the later widespread introduction of LED lamp technology (for energy saving), I find the white/blue glare from the headlamp makes the front DI barely visible to me on some vehicle models.

LED headlamp technology has progressed rapidly in the last 10 years and many prestige/top-of-the-range models have automatic adaptive LED headlamps that auto switch on, auto dip in response to oncoming traffic (but not quickly enough!!) and can have adaptive dip beams which progressively turn off selected LEDs in the headlamp array to maintain the "best" illumination from the driver's perspective in response to oncoming traffic (but resulting in more dazzle to oncoming drivers). Also the dip beam cut-off is very sharp with these LED headlamps resulting in increased dazzle for oncoming drivers on undulating roads.

There has to be a compromise between what is good/better/brighter illumination from the car driver's point of view and the resultant glare/dazzle created for oncoming road users. The greater percentage of bigger, taller vehicles (eg Land Rover/Range Rover types) with resultant headlamps higher above the road surface makes it worse for those of us sitting in a lower driving position in our smaller (more aerodynamic!) saloon cars. Maybe the glare/dazzle is less of a problem if you drive a large SUV type vehicle with a much higher seating position relative to the road? I don't know, I don't drive one!!!"

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

chris Wallis

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2024 :  21:01:01  Show Profile
Signed

C L Wallis
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2024 :  22:13:43  Show Profile
While we all probably suffer from this, and may even contribute to the problem if we drive a car produced in the last few years, what, realistically, can the UK government do about it? Are car manufacturers really going to redesign their headlights just for the UK market? (Switching between right and left hand drive doesn’t really count!)

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2009 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2024 :  23:45:33  Show Profile
As one who has been concerned about this issue for some time, signed.
Thanks, Roger.
Chris
Go to Top of Page

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2024 :  08:32:10  Show Profile
Simon,
Do not worry the same problem excists on the continent, and got attention the last few weeks on our news. And even in an suv this is a problem.
Paul
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2024 :  09:15:49  Show Profile
I’m sure it does, Paul, but I can’t see that a petition to the UK government is going to be effective as we have no say in EU vehicle regulations, or do we?

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 15/02/2024 09:16:31
Go to Top of Page

Drolshagen

Germany
669 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2024 :  11:07:52  Show Profile
since Boris NO

cheers
Carl
J2 4362
L2 2036
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2024 :  11:17:39  Show Profile
Exactement, Carl

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Morse

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2024 :  11:57:52  Show Profile
Pot holes (especially when they are full of rainwater), and the gradual erosion of all "white line" road markings, are a much more serious problem. I spend most of my time driving along the centre of country roads to avoid potholes, as do most of the cars coming the other way!
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2024 :  12:34:54  Show Profile

I bought a pair of these described as "Polarized Sunglasses Flip-up Clip On Driving Glasses Day Night Vision Lens UV400". I am not convinced they make a useful difference. Did I buy the wrong ones?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Paul White

United Kingdom
55 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2024 :  12:41:29  Show Profile
I agree that potholes are a major problem but when blinded by LED headlights you cannot even see the road let alone potholes.
Many LED lights continually default to main beam and then depend on sensors to detect oncoming headlights which if also LED may dip faster then conventional lights
On country roads including A roads these are accidents waiting to happen.
Go to Top of Page

gerard van der veen

United Kingdom
152 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2024 :  14:09:34  Show Profile
Great to read that RAC & Government are discussing the matter... I have petitioned...but in reality, industrial benefits (financial) are (nearly always) overriding and new technologies will be pushed through, no matter. Coming from a corporate industry and introducing new technologies, governmental intervention is minimal, despite Media or Hollywood is trying to show/convince the opposite...
LED Headlights: already many research has indicated that, just swapping sufficient old headlights (Xenox, Gass or Tungsten) with LED is and will remain problematic. Even on application level (despite technological improvements) it is not good (& acknowledged), but cheap and overriding energy/environmental benefits will ensure that it will take a long road for any change to a better headlight system will emerge.

Apart from this, less road usage, is another governmental aim...

Talking about the UK bad road condition (put holes etc): conversations with the High Way Commission; it will become worse!

International agreed legislation back to 1984, allowed 'sea-containers to be widened with one (!) foot'. This has resulted in -wider width- world haulage, including roads (trucks). In the beginning only extreme wide container trucks were allowed on specific wide routes... but after entering these obsolete trucks into the 'second hand market', over time, the overall width of road haulage changed, including tourist busses. More and more 'unfit' wide transport emerged on three digit and rural roads, structurally ruining all sides (& weight > surface) on a continuous basis... Unfortunately many road stretches in the UK cannot be widened, not for cycles nor for the wider (& more powerful) transport..

Add the two topics together (not to say there are not more...); it is impossible to drive during night time.. anywhere.. especially not with our precious old timers.

Even worse: you can't see or being blinded by.... but does the opposite direction traffic see you???

One highlight this week; got my free bus pass... however I first have to take a car to reach for a 'regular' service..... living very remote/rural...

In anticipation of travelling with my PA/PB...... if I get my engine together....

Happy touring, spring is in the air (in the UK, down under I assume it is entering 'reading & repairing' time)
Kind reg Gerard.

gerard van der veen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000