Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 An interesting car for sale
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2024 :  00:03:52  Show Profile
Ah, sorry, don’t know what made me think it was RR.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

DK6780

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2024 :  16:58:01  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hardy

Yes, it’s my neighbours old car. My father was an art teacher in the 1960s / 70 and re-enamelled the rad badge in the school kiln

The neighbour hacked the body around to fit his kids and a double bass in it. He and my dad use to go to gigs in it as they both played in the same jazz band. He fitted a Renault engine and rack and pinion steering. The neighbour worked for the gas board and the car was fitted everywhere with gas fittings! He also fitted hydraulic brakes and Singer / back axle, with skinny spoke wheels on the front. It still had the thinner cross section front axle beam and telescopic shocks.

The car was sold in around 1976 for £80, going back to a previous owner a Hull chemist (Mr Prince) who wanted it to retain the registration RH 4444. Prince lived in the same village on Longman’s Lane (Cottingham). The car sat in a rear garden in the open for the next 8 years. I regularly tried to purchase the car and use to regularly cycle to see the chap to try to persuade him to sell me it. He didn’t as he thought I was too young at 15 years old, and gave it to a telephone engineer who lived a mile away from Cottingham. I then bought my first J2 at the age of 16, the car having sat for 15 or so years in our school boathouse.

I spent 6 years trying to buy the D type from the new owner who was clueless and was also trying to restore the car with very limited budget. He fitted a new old stock Morris 8 auxhillary engine as installed in military tanks. He bought a bag of sticks J2 body kit from Llinares, and then skinned it with metal from a filing cabinet. It also had a TC tank, which I see from recent photos, is still on the car. Quasi C type scuttle top supplied by one of the Bones (note the scuttle side profile has the humps with a convex as opposed to concave profile ). He bought a replacement J2 back axle from the same source. I watched the progress over the years and saw what it was turning into, and what it could have been. It was the short chassis model, I wanted it to build a C type recreation and had collected all the vital C type mechanicals in anticipation for acquiring it.

He got the car through an MOT and as part of the original deal, handed back the RH 4444 registration to Mr Prince whereby he was for years trying to sell the number (my initials) on the Hull based Car Marks car registration dealer site.

The owner at that point (Tony Briggs) died. His son offered me the car for £8000. I offered £3250 and was turned turned down. It then sold on EBay for the price I offered but by that time I had lost interest and was concentrating on other MMM projects. It’s next owner I recall was in France and the car was finished, but so so much wrong with this car. I suspect its true value is around £14,000.

If it is now claimed the registration was not originally RH 4444 then there is possibly something fishy going on here as this is a Hull registered car. That said, AT is also a Hull registration prefix.

So, that’s the story from the 1970s to the 1990s

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Rich

It's very hard to resolve your account with the claims made by the seller, and I know which I'm inclined to believe.

Just to clarify, the body that you remember being hacked around was presumably a D Type "four seater" and the engine prior to the Renault wasn't a J type?

Regards

Duncan
Go to Top of Page

DK6780

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2024 :  21:28:38  Show Profile
The car "sold" for €26,500 (£22,600 at current exchange rates).
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2024 :  21:31:19  Show Profile
Astonishing!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

mike.g

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2024 :  21:42:28  Show Profile
Incredible

m.j.gooch
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1501 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2024 :  05:36:42  Show Profile
Wow!

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)

https://www.triple-mregister.org/racing.asp

http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2024 :  20:39:54  Show Profile
Hi Duncan

Nobody really knew at the time what model it was. It certainly retained its D type bonnet. The body started off D type from the scuttle but was carved about a bit at the rear.

The engine could either have been Renault or, a Singer, certainly one of the two as the car had been fitted with both during the 1960s, by my neighbour Bill Cater. I was given the 4 spoke D type steering wheel at one point and tge D type bonnet catches, the neighbour passed them over the garden fence many years after he had sold the car.

The recent sale price is astounding, possibly suggesting the purchaser may not have been fully knowledgable about what they were buying, particularly from an investment perspective.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

DK6780

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2024 :  22:04:54  Show Profile
Rich

Thanks for those confirmations.

quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hardy
The recent sale price is astounding, possibly suggesting the purchaser may not have been fully knowledgable about what they were buying, particularly from an investment perspective.

I suspect that is an understatement. However, every time the car is advertised with the alternative history the more people will believe it, regardless of the facts.
Go to Top of Page

KevinA

New Zealand
670 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2024 :  22:58:08  Show Profile
It would certainly be interesting to see its documentation.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000