Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 An interesting car for sale
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mike.g

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2024 :  20:12:01  Show Profile
Simon,

Searching old wallets for Euros as we speak !

Mike g

m.j.gooch
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2024 :  20:59:24  Show Profile

quote:
Originally posted by KevinA

Sam- what is your top photo from of the plate without the change oil line?

The plate is on a low chassis number 1932 J2.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2024 :  23:03:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by huw

Here is some more information https://www.catawiki.com/en/l/80179251-mg-d-type-1931 including a picture of the knuckle (see image 42).

Well spotted, Huw, and no sign of a 'J' - how surprising!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2024 :  23:30:06  Show Profile
The V5 indicates an owner in N Ireland in May 2007 .

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2024 :  23:59:06  Show Profile
In Cullybackey, no less! Not a name I recognise.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2024 :  11:34:46  Show Profile
I have a sneaking suspicion this is the car which languished for many years in my next door neighbour’s garage and with a horrible non-standard body on it. It’s Reg at the time in the 1970s was RH 4444 if this is the same car.

If anyone can conform the original Reg, then I will post many years of missing later history. If it is the same car and which sold in part finished state then there was so much wrong with it at the time. The new J2 body being fitted in the 1980s and skinned with steel from a filing cabinet. The scuttle top panel being miss- sold as J2 panel by one of the Bone brothers to a clueless new owner and which resembled more of a C type profile. It looks the same scuttle in the profile. The red body shown in one of the above posts is at the stage the car was when it sold on EBay, and I think it went to France.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 17/03/2024 23:38:15
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2024 :  12:16:15  Show Profile
D0301 was originally registered AT 1426. It would seem that the D Cooper referred to in the blurb on the sale website only acquired the car in October 1938; it doesn’t appear that he bought it new.

Out of curiosity I’ll try and follow up the Cullybackey connection as a friend of mine from the vintage world here comes from that part of the world.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2024 :  12:39:48  Show Profile
Rich
Not conclusive, but the Register does not list that number in the list of possible Registration numbers.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

mike.g

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2024 :  13:16:01  Show Profile
Richard,

You are right I missed that point in my earlier critique they are almost certainly C type scuttle humps.

Mike G.

m.j.gooch
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2024 :  14:54:06  Show Profile
I don't think these are C Type humps;

It is difficult in the reflected glare to be sure but, to my eye, the problem is that a) the radius of the curve from the near flat surface up to the humps is too small and b) following on from that we then have a steep straight line up to the top of the hump rather than the curve continuing almost to the top.

I have such a Bone scuttle in ali and, If anyone were to express an interest in it, I would put it in the For Sale section......

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2024 :  19:35:46  Show Profile
Yes, it’s my neighbours old car. My father was an art teacher in the 1960s / 70 and re-enamelled the rad badge in the school kiln

The neighbour hacked the body around to fit his kids and a double bass in it. He and my dad use to go to gigs in it as they both played in the same jazz band. He fitted a Renault engine and rack and pinion steering. The neighbour worked for the gas board and the car was fitted everywhere with gas fittings! He also fitted hydraulic brakes and Singer / back axle, with skinny spoke wheels on the front. It still had the thinner cross section front axle beam and telescopic shocks.

The car was sold in around 1976 for £80, going back to a previous owner a Hull chemist (Mr Prince) who wanted it to retain the registration RH 4444. Prince lived in the same village on Longman’s Lane (Cottingham). The car sat in a rear garden in the open for the next 8 years. I regularly tried to purchase the car and use to regularly cycle to see the chap to try to persuade him to sell me it. He didn’t as he thought I was too young at 15 years old, and gave it to a telephone engineer who lived a mile away from Cottingham. I then bought my first J2 at the age of 16, the car having sat for 15 or so years in our school boathouse.

I spent 6 years trying to buy the D type from the new owner who was clueless and was also trying to restore the car with very limited budget. He fitted a new old stock Morris 8 auxhillary engine as installed in military tanks. He bought a bag of sticks J2 body kit from Llinares, and then skinned it with metal from a filing cabinet. It also had a TC tank, which I see from recent photos, is still on the car. Quasi C type scuttle top supplied by one of the Bones (note the scuttle side profile has the humps with a convex as opposed to concave profile ). He bought a replacement J2 back axle from the same source. I watched the progress over the years and saw what it was turning into, and what it could have been. It was the short chassis model, I wanted it to build a C type recreation and had collected all the vital C type mechanicals in anticipation for acquiring it.

He got the car through an MOT and as part of the original deal, handed back the RH 4444 registration to Mr Prince whereby he was for years trying to sell the number (my initials) on the Hull based Car Marks car registration dealer site.

The owner at that point (Tony Briggs) died. His son offered me the car for £8000. I offered £3250 and was turned turned down. It then sold on EBay for the price I offered but by that time I had lost interest and was concentrating on other MMM projects. It’s next owner I recall was in France and the car was finished, but so so much wrong with this car. I suspect its true value is around £14,000.

If it is now claimed the registration was not originally RH 4444 then there is possibly something fishy going on here as this is a Hull registered car. That said, AT is also a Hull registration prefix.

So, that’s the story from the 1970s to the 1990s

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 17/03/2024 20:05:17
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2024 :  20:29:27  Show Profile
D0301 had its guarantee plate issued on 11 November 1931. It was black with green upholstery and was delivered to Crosland Motor Co, Hull on 1 December and registered, perhaps by Crosland, as AT 1426. There doesn’t seem to be any record of the original owner.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2024 :  22:48:52  Show Profile
I wonder Simon how it then ended up with a new Hull Reg number RH 4444

That number should have looked good on my Merc instead of MG 2281 !

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2024 :  23:14:14  Show Profile
Rich,
Perhaps it was an early example of a personal plate? It could have been changed back in the 1930s. But as far as I can determine, RR is Nottingham, not Hull?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2024 :  23:36:09  Show Profile
RH Simon, not RR

I guess we will never know why it was changed

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page