Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Government consultation: registering historic cars
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6117 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2024 :  22:09:29  Show Profile
On 9 May 2024, the Department for Transport (DfT) and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) launched a call for evidence around the existing policies and registration processes for historic, classic and rebuilt vehicles.

The call for evidence runs until 4 July and individual responses can be made at https://www.gov.uk/government/calls-for-evidence/registering-historic-classic-rebuilt-vehicles-and-vehicles-converted-to-electric-call-for-evidence

In total, the consultation asks 50 questions in 12 subject headings and covers all historic vehicles - not solely cars - of all types and the Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs (FBHVC) has prepared draft responses to all these questions and invites clubs, members and, basically, anyone interested to let FBHVC have their views on the draft responses. You can do this at https://evidence.fbhvc.co.uk/

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 17/05/2024 22:11:42

Digby

United Kingdom
133 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2024 :  22:46:57  Show Profile
Thank you Simon.
We have been approached today by the MGCC and the FBHVC to ask members to respond BUT they would prefer it done via FBHVC who have put a lot of effort into producing a set of responses for people to consider and respond in a unified manner.
If people can wait to respond until they have seen the FBHVC template it will make a more meaningful response. We will put the FBHVC news release on the Forum in the morning and that will include a link to the questions.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6117 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2024 :  07:14:11  Show Profile

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Digby

United Kingdom
133 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2024 :  09:25:31  Show Profile
See below the message from FBHVC and their Press Release.
PLEASE USE THE FBHVC RESPONSE FORMAT (SEE LINK) IF YOU ARE IN GENERAL AGREEMENT AS THAT WILL SIMPLIFY THE PROCESS OF RESPONDING TO THE AUTHORITIES.

This is an urgent call-to-action!

You may be aware of the 9 May Government announcement of a wide-ranging consultation about the registration of historic vehicles https://www.fbhvc.co.uk/news/article/dft-and-dvla-launch-call-for-evidence-around-registering-historic-classic-and-rebuilt-vehicles .

In total, the consultation asks 50 questions in 12 subject headings. It covers all historic vehicles - not solely cars - of all types, and are all represented within the Federation.

Please find attached a Press Release (in Word and PDF) explaining how the Federation has set out its provisional position on each of the areas and is calling for your feedback in an online questionnaire.

We are seeking your club’s and your members’ feedback, along with that from our wider supporter membership and community.

This will help shape the Federation’s formal response to the consultation, on a topic of great importance that affects the entire movement.

The consultation offers FBHVC member clubs the opportunity to shape the creation and evolution of policies to preserve our ability to restore, register, and use historic vehicles efficiently and fairly for tomorrow’s roads.

We strongly encourage you to share this information – and importantly the link https://evidence.fbhvc.co.uk/ – with all your members and wider historic vehicle friends (such as through social media).

The more people who respond to us the better, as this will ensure that our collective voices will carry considerable weight.

It’s taken a very long time - and a huge amount of extremely hard work by our dedicated team - to get to this position, as we battled on your behalf.

Now, it’s over to you!

Kind regards

Mel Holley
Secretary, Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs Ltd

IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 17 MAY 2024

DVLA consultation on historic vehicle registration processes, how to answer it and ensure your voice makes a difference.

The Department for Transport (DfT) and the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) have launched a call for evidence around the existing policies and registration processes for historic, classic, and rebuilt vehicles.

The move follows 18 months of dialogue between the FBHVC (Federation of British Historic Vehicle Clubs) and representatives of the Department for Transport and DVLA, which sought to draw attention to the current challenges and inconsistencies surrounding the historic vehicle community’s interaction with their policies.

The announcement was made at Bicester Heritage on 9th May, and the DfT and DVLA say they aim “To seek expertise and knowledge about whether these policies need updating to reflect evolving technologies that support the restoration and rebuilding of these vehicles.”

The consultation now offers the FBHVC’s member clubs the opportunity to shape the creation and evolution of policies to preserve our ability to restore, register, and use historic vehicles efficiently and fairly for tomorrow’s roads.

The document is complex, and the questions cover many topics that require a detailed understanding of the issues and technicalities involved. Furthermore, the historic vehicle community must work together to create a consensus that accurately reflects the community's requirements.

Therefore, the FBHVC will be innovatively publishing our positioning statement to give everyone a voice and make completing the consultation document less onerous.

The positioning statement will be split into sections relating to each part of the official consultation document that we will complete on behalf of the community.

The Federation's team, led by Chairman David Whale; IT Director Tim Jarrett and his team, Legislation Director Lindsay Irvine and DVLA Liaison Manager Ian Edmunds, have formed a provisional response to each section and question, that all members of the historic vehicle community can now read and indicate support for through an electronic survey. If you disagree, a further box requests more details to incorporate those views into the final response.

Once the feedback is collated, a formal consultation response document will be published and submitted, representing the responses received. As submissions are judged on the number of people the views represent, this will ensure a more impactful and consensus-driven response than would be possible if submissions were all made by individual people or clubs.

David Whale, Chairman of the FBHVC, said, “This is a unique and hard-won opportunity after our many months of dialogue with DVLA and DfT to address our challenges around the current systems once and for all. We welcome this opportunity to create and evolve a policy that will have a long-lasting impact on our freedoms and abilities to preserve and use transport heritage.

“But it’s imperative that we put forward a consensus and make our needs clearly understood; this is why we have chosen to address the consultation via a questionnaire in this way to represent as many voices from our community as possible in a single, consistent response is essential for success.”

The more views the FBHVC can capture and represent, the higher our chance of genuinely shaping the future for historic vehicles and evolving flawed registration and licensing systems, so we encourage everyone to respond via the FBHVC mechanism in the first instance.

Complete the consultation response here: http://evidence.fbhvc.co.uk and ensure your voice makes a difference.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2024 :  15:35:03  Show Profile
Thank you all for organising this.
I have just submitted my response.

Cheers P

I hit the "do not agree" button three times. here are my thoughts.

Q9. Replicas.
Some vehicles were called "replicas" when new.
Should "Replica" be used in this conversation at all?
Perhaps this needs to be changed to avoid confusion.
Could "Copied" (or copy/ reproduction/ imitation, etc) be used instead?

Q13. Chassis.
I would like to see clearer approval of replacement chassis. On F0313 I have had to do this. I have retained the four corner castings along with the chassis number and would not wish to lose the car's identity. I would like to see something added like: identity will not be affected where parts of a chassis have to be replaced.

Q20. Electric Conversions.
I consider it highly desirable to change to electric propulsion in the current climate!
Only the engine/gearbox combination are affected and it would be reversible.
I would not wish this to cost me and my vehicle the "historic" cachet.
Go to Top of Page

BobH

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2024 :  18:46:22  Show Profile
I feel the response to Q1 is not good either. The FIVA definition quoted includes " vehicle at least 30 years old, preserved and maintained in a historically correct condition, which is not used as means of daily transport .."

There are people in this country who do use their old cars that way and there has never before been such a distinction here. I feel making this concession is a slippery slope which could end in limitations of use.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2024 :  19:50:44  Show Profile
Agreed!

When I was there in the 80s the Aussies made the distinction with old cars: tax for club use or tax for road use, which made sense to me. Club use required a club event or club authorisation.

What I really liked about their system was: go for an mot and pass, then you paid and the cost included basic insurance and road tax as well, a one stop shop. Most people bought extra insurance but you could drive away from the MOT knowing you were road legal.

I did write to DVLA...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000