Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Period Trials Photograph ID?
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mg251

United Kingdom
198 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2013 :  14:31:51  Show Profile
I bought this rather nice period photograph off ebay last week for the princely sum of £10. I think the cars a PA? and presumably its been used for trialing with the twin spares. I would love to know more about it, ID of the driver or car, etc. I know there are some very knowledgable people on the forum so maybe someone can shed some light on it.
Many thanks, Bob.

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  07:29:17  Show Profile
Bob. I have just been browsing Nailsworth Ladder & that lead me to a You Tube film of the 1936 Feddon Trial . On the film , of many cars climbing the hill , one of them is a P-Type with the Union Jack flag on the side which seems to be the same as on the photo you have. The Reg. No. of the car on the film is MG 4068. This many help you, assuming I am right & it is the same car , to identify it . Somebody, I'm sure, will have a list of entrants for the event. Let me know how you go on will you ?. Thanks , Ray.
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 13/07/2013 :  11:19:55  Show Profile
A little searching brings up the Triple M Bulletin of December 2010 where on page 38 there is a letter from Ian Coxen describing past owners and trials successes for MG 4068.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

mg251

United Kingdom
198 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2013 :  11:54:59  Show Profile
Thank you both very much for your replies. I will try and do some more research based on the info provided. Unfortunately I don't have the 2010 bulletin.

Regards Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2013 :  11:57:46  Show Profile
Bob,

You can download the December 2010 Bulletin from the Bulletin Download section of this site.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  12:07:52  Show Profile
This pic appears in the book 'Motoring in the 20s and 30s', and I always fancied that the chap pictured looks like Mac MacDermid, though perhaps he has a little more hair. In turn that would suggest the car is JB 3639, which became his Cream Cracker. Unfortunately the only pictures I have seen of Mac are when he is in his car on a trial, so not particularly clear...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2013 :  23:20:23  Show Profile
The video that Ray M. suggested, clearly shows the car's reg as MG 4068.

There is a section of it shown at 4.23' - 5.01'(minutes)
I believe (hopefully.) that this link will take you directly to that period of the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=0MNeKnRCZig#t=263s

Thanks Ray.

Brian

Edited. The above link starts at the beginning of the movie.

Edited by - Brian Kelly on 16/07/2013 23:24:14
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  00:44:53  Show Profile
Brilliant link Brian!

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  04:52:33  Show Profile

The thanks should go to Ray, Matthew.

I was only the messenger.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  09:33:53  Show Profile
What a lovely piece of filming - it even shows a P type 4 seater doing rather well. Perhaps the extra weight over the rear wheels helped traction!

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  11:35:03  Show Profile
Having looked at the footage, I must agree that it looks to be the same car... though the driver doesn't look to be the same chap! I notice also that the brake drums look silver in the picture, black on the film.

Great film - so many MGs that its hard to believe that there are any that haven't competed somewhere or other!

Another thought occurs - they could have been part of a team all wearing the Union Jack...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 17/07/2013 11:37:17
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  15:39:20  Show Profile
I have read Ian Coxen's note in the Bulletin and been doing a bit of digging around. Morrish gets a few mentions in CAN May's book 'More Wheelspin' and appears to have had some success post war. Of Hulbert I can find no mention. Pre war, Morrish is listed in Cowbourne with limited success, driving a Magnette, again no mention of Hulbert, nor any similar spelling I could think of.

The cup on the bonnet looks rather special, and I would of thought it was for a biggish event - perhaps not a trial, of course. The condition of the car and general look of the picture suggests pre-war, while it was clearly somewhat lightened in the Bulletin pic.

That's all I have found for now...

Graham

Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2013 :  09:13:37  Show Profile
Sheer coincidence that I came across the video of the 1936 trial. I(sorry, we ) are going to a wedding shortly at Nailsworth & immediately thought I would google Nailsworth Ladder, (of more interest to me than the wedding!). All this at the time that there was the posting about the P-Type & unknown owner.Whilst watching it the sight of that unusual Union Jack on the bonnet side 'rang a bell'.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2013 :  15:14:07  Show Profile
A further small note - while swotting up another MG matter (well its too hot to do much else!) I noticed that the UJ on our car above is about the same size and position as that on the Le Mans PAs (which this is definitely not!) though the style of the flag differs (fluttering on the pic above, static on the Le Mans cars)

Just another titbit (if I can say that these days!)

Graham

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000