Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 Mystery M-type
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

roger

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2013 :  20:53:00  Show Profile
This car was puchased from a Mr C. Kimber in the 1930's by agood friend of mine's late uncle. This is the only photograph he has however he would be pleased to here of any known history or indeed if the car has survived.

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  10:31:00  Show Profile
The car was the first car owned by John W. Thornley, first Secretary of the MGCC and later Service Manager for the MG Car Co. He, of course, finished up as General Manager of the company.
See page 28 Mr MG, by Peter Thornley.
JWT drove the car was on the 1931 Brighton Beer trial, but then had a standard V windscreen.
Not on the 2011 register.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  11:04:35  Show Profile
Roger, This is an interesting picture. The "Mr C Kimber" mentioned is most likely Cecil Kimber, the creator and inspiration behind the M.G. car. According to notes put together by the late Mike Hawke, PG 9883 was John Thornley's first car which was bought on the occasion of his 21st Birthday in 1930 from a local car dealer,some three years before he actually started with M.G. at Abingdon. During his ownership, the car was fitted with a fold-flat windscreen, a supercharger and several other "go-faster" goodies, and ownership of the car led directly to the formation of the M.G. Car Club, (John being our first Hon. Secretary) and subsequently to John's employment in 1933 with the Service Eepartment at Abingdon. The chassis number of the car is not known, and at present there is no information on whether PG 9883 has survived. I don't know why the car was first registered in Cecil Kimber's name but whatever the reason, it obviously was a very early part of M.G history.
Possibly Mike Dalby (Mike the M) can add some more cetails on the matter.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

roger

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2013 :  15:21:24  Show Profile
Very interesting indeed, I shall forward the details to Richard. Thanks to everyone for their input.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000