Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 mg m type info
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phil strange

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  22:46:26  Show Profile
im the owner of mg m type reg number vu 5270 that was driven to monte carlo in 1954,by robin gordon, see 2003 yearbook,im trying to get original number back as she spent 50yrs in america,have any of you any photos etc that mite help,i think the number shouldnt be lost,if its given an age related it will be, thanks

DodgyBrit

United Kingdom
17 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2013 :  22:22:22  Show Profile
Hello Phil. Sorry, I don't have a photo but I thought I might be able to offer a little advise. I don't know how far you have got with the DVLA but this can be a nightmare process and unless you know your way around the various obstacles it could all end in tears. The last I heard, the authorities have stopped accepting photographic evidence and this makes it difficult to get the original number reinstated.

The one person who I know has a good relationship with the DVLA and has successfully retrieved many original numbers is the famous motoring historian, Michael Worthington Williams who is a regular contributor to The Automobile magazine. I hope he will not object to my suggesting you contact him. I really hope you get the number back. For what it's worth, I think it's an injustice that there are so many hurdles to reinstate a car's number.

Best of luck, Ray.
Go to Top of Page

phil strange

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  12:47:45  Show Profile
hi ray,thanks for that but mike has been contacted about my car and he says the same,without a old logbook,tax disc,pre 1983 invoice etc the number will be lost,its been on the car all its life even though its been in the usa 50+yrs,its so very wrong but dvla could sell that number and thats that ,im not giving up just yet,as once it has an age related number thats it,reguards phil
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2013 :  14:10:20  Show Profile
VU 5270 was a Manchester registration, records seemingly now gone.

The DVLA has a 'How to trace your Vehicle History' leaflet - ring 01792 782756 - and has recently supplied a tracing service for a fiver, which MIGHT find some data on the 'M'.

The DVLA has grown more rigid of late, a continuous process which will get worse now that electronic data is king and the tax disc is obsolete. No RF.60 or tax disc = no number. Photos are not really evidence unless supported by a previous owner.

They did, once, change their mind. When I applied to register my then long-disused VeloSoleX slow-ped, the rule was that, despite my full documentation, a suffix number could not be re-issued and it was given a new G-reg.. Six months later, I was invited to re-apply for the original. By that time, I had made new plates - the derelict Solex cost £12-00 - and I have since ridden the SloWeX on its second number.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

phil strange

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2013 :  20:49:47  Show Profile
hi bob,im in regular contact with robin gordon who owned the car in 53,54,he took her to monte carlo,ref 2003 year book,ive got photos and story of that trip perhaps that would help ,thanks bob
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  04:38:38  Show Profile
Not wishing to contradict Bob, but I recently acquired original registration records for my M registered in Oldham. I am away from home at the moment, returning next week. I will check then and let you know contact details of the place I used. I recall it was a conglomeration of many local records from the Manchester region in one place. You might be lucky...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

phil strange

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  19:29:43  Show Profile
that would be fantastic,lets hope so as the manchester records office is closed for revamp until april 2014,ps
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2013 :  20:40:42  Show Profile
Orstin,
The Kithead Trust? www.kitheadtrust.org.uk

Can be expensive but useful if they have the record.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2013 :  05:50:39  Show Profile
No, not the Kithead Trust, but I think Manchester County Record Office as Phil mentions. I'm back home Wednesday and can confirm then. As I say, mine is an Oldham register entry so no guarantees on the Manchester records being held but I can provide a contact who did my search for an go from there...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2013 :  16:37:14  Show Profile
Right - back home now.

Looking at what I received, I was talking with the Greater Manchester County Record Office at 56 Marshall St., New Cross, Manchester M4 5FU. The name of the person I dealt with was an Alison Gill. Now I remember, when I first started investigating my M, I found reference to the registration records they held, on line. That seem to have disappeared now (or simply eludes me..) Though as you say, they do seem to be closed at the moment

The phone number I have is 0161 832 5284. At the very least, it might be worth ringing that number and asking for her and see if you get put through. If it of any use at all, the file reference that my records came from (though, remember, those were for Oldham) was A15/2/Box6.

hth...

So many dynamos

Edited by - Orstin on 11/12/2013 16:37:36
Go to Top of Page

phil strange

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2013 :  20:40:40  Show Profile
thanks orstin,ive tried them and they are closed till april for building work,reguards
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000