Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 CAR IDENTIFICATION
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2013 :  19:34:42  Show Profile
This chap seems happy with his lot as he drives along sucking on his pipe. What car is he driving, please?

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2013 :  20:30:45  Show Profile
Hi John

Looks like a much modified Austin seven to me?

The front has been modified to take telescopic shock absorbers and the windscreen looks as if it came off something like a Singer?

Perhaps our trials experts can identify the car by the Registration number.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2013 :  22:42:28  Show Profile
Thank you George. Having looked into this further I see that the registration mark was issued from 1938. A Singer Special perhaps, anybody?
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2013 :  23:12:59  Show Profile
EOG is 1938. The car is, as George says, likely to be an Austin 7 Special which may well have been constructed on a '38 Austin Ruby chassis, though, judging by the driver's dress, the picture was taken in an era when, shall we say, A7 numbers were not necessarily with their original chassis.

It could have an LMB front axle, common enough in that era.

A better place would be on the Seeking Information thread.

Bob.

Edited by - Bob Stringfield on 30/11/2013 23:14:05
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2013 :  23:28:35  Show Profile
EOC not EOG methinks .... A7....circa 1966-1971...spring/summer..of love

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  01:24:54  Show Profile
Bob
Agreed. Here it is.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  20:41:46  Show Profile
Looks mainly Austin 7 to me,and a typical Special probably 1950/60s The registration number would not date the car but merely indicate the main source of parts. It could,however,be a genuine Austin Nippy or Type 65 that has been modified because the rear end and rear wings do not look correct,and the windscreen is definately wrong. The chrome radiator surround is pre-Ruby and of the type fitted to pre-1935 cars,saloons and open cars. The headlamps are later and look to be Lucas 700 type.

Cannot help on the substance smoked. Could be 4 Square Yellow as smoked by my Dad in his pipe.

David R

(J 3355 and Austin 7 RP Saloon)
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2013 :  22:23:06  Show Profile
John
If the quality of the picture is good enough you might be able to read the date on the tax disc that might help.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  07:40:08  Show Profile
Methinks 'tis a 'Cambridge' special.

Roger Thomas used to (still does?) operate from the old Cambridge Engineering premises.

They used to make Austin 7 tuning accessories and replacement bodywork. There have been some ghastly Austin 7 special bodies but the Cambridge offering was quite pretty and quite reminiscent of 2 seater MGs of the the we are familiar with. If you look carefully at the photo you can make out the humped scuttle through the windscreen.

How do I know? Well, I used to own such a machine. My brother rescued it from a field near his school and ownership subsequently passed to me. I did a virtual rebuild on it. Oddly, the car had Morris 8 engine and gearbox which went surprisingly well until it threw a rod one day. I then got a replacement M8 engine which I did a lot of work on (raised compression, ported, lightened flywheel, etc) and it was even quicker.

Unfortunately, because the M8 engine was quite a bit heavier than the A7, it tended to go straight on at corners but was good fun in a straight line. It had a 'Bowdenex' brake conversions which was coded language for 'practically useless'.

Edited by - kimber on 02/12/2013 07:42:15
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  10:53:37  Show Profile
Don't blame the Bowndenex! MGs also have Bowden brakes, and just about every vehicle has Bowden handbrake cables. (Invented by an Irishman, Ernest Monnington Bowden, in 1896. In 1900 he licenced Raleigh to produce them which sometimes causes confusion since (Sir)Frank Bowden was the brains behind Raleigh and is sometimes credited with the invention.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  11:37:54  Show Profile
I have somewhere a booklet published by Cambridge Engineering with details of their specialities(!) Building a special was always an ambition of mine, but never happened due to a combination of finance, facilities, elbow grease (lack of), other interests (I could go on...) it never happened.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  14:24:37  Show Profile
iCarCheck says the registration belongs to a 1938 Austin.

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  18:26:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by IAN JUDD

Don't blame the Bowndenex!

I do! Agree nothing wrong with Bowden cables in principle, however, the cable routing in the case of the A7 was unhelpfully tortuous.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  19:02:00  Show Profile
Andrew

The bowden cables I fitted to the front brakes of my A7 special followed a pretty smooth path, from the centre of the cross shaft to the backplate. They were certainly a big improvement on the original open cables, which became ineffective when the front axle moved slightly backwards under braking, as there was no compensation between the front and rear cables.

I based the body of my special on the Lotus 6, with an ali covered ash frame. As an impecunious enthusiast the maxim was if it weighs anything it is too heavy and if it costs anything it is too dear. The bible was the 750 Motor Club 'Special Builders Guide' which i still have. This rather fuzzy picture shows it before the nose cone was fitted.

Edited by - Peter Scott on 02/12/2013 19:21:58
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  20:18:31  Show Profile
Great stuff!

I see you've got the 'allowed' single headlamp as per the Don Moore MG.

I'm surprised Orstin hasn't commented yet, being previously of the Longbridge pursuasion ;-)

Edited by - kimber on 02/12/2013 20:20:05
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2013 :  21:00:13  Show Profile
Peter, might one enquire who is the young person depicted?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000