Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 SC 7625 M-type
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2014 :  22:04:47  Show Profile
Maybe what Sam meant by " the flag is still there" is that the head on shot of the " French" car seems to show the St George tags either side of the bonnet? Are they common to M types? If not, is that an additional point the cars are one and the same?

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2014 :  22:47:17  Show Profile
Thanks KTS that is indeed what I meant. There seems to have been a fad for fitting little enamel flags back in the 1970's but fortunately they never became 'standard'. The positioning is distinctive. I think they add nothing to the car but screw holes - but it is of course a matter of taste.

As Ian has pointed out the unusual headlamps (left hand one with dipping mechanism) and the screen are the same in both old and new images.

Below, more reasons why Jim Marland recognised his old car including other views of the blue/black/green fabric. You can see where it was advertised too.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2014 :  16:11:32  Show Profile
When I got my M in 1967 there were no flags attached to the bonnet.
But there were a set of holes near to the radiator.
Some time later I realised that they were exactly right for the said Union flags.
So a pair were attached.
So the 1970's "fad" certainly went back into the 60's and maybe the 50's.
My car was such a wreck [although running on the road] when I got it - I can't imagine any of the many owners in the few years previous to me going to the trouble of drilling holes and fitting badges.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2014 :  17:17:33  Show Profile
Sorry Tony - Please amend as follows -

……………..There seems to have been a golden age for fitting little enamel flags back in the 1950's 1960's and 1970's but tragically they never became 'standard'. The positioning is not unique. I think they add nothing to the car but screw holes - but of course I have no taste.

As Ian has pointed out the unusual headlamps (left hand one with dipping mechanism) and the screen are the same in both old and new images.

Below, more reasons why Jim Marland recognised his old car including other views of the blue/black/green fabric. You can see where it was advertised too.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2014 :  15:52:24  Show Profile

Sam
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2014 :  16:09:58  Show Profile
Explain the bottom image, Sam
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2014 :  16:50:04  Show Profile
Looks OK to me Tony.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  04:26:21  Show Profile
Looks okay to me too, Sam, my grandkids would love it!

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  09:56:54  Show Profile
I have just had a message from Jim Marland about the photograph -

Sam
The event was the Manchester to Blackpool run in June 1974, just after I finished the car, and two years after buying it as a dismantled wreck for £125. I sold it to someone in the isle of Man, but never heard from him again.
Jim

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Gabriel

Sweden
41 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  15:55:12  Show Profile
Hello Sam,
Haha! Yes you are right. It is a whim of the sixties/seventies. My first TC had them 1964. The old battered TC I bought a few years ago also have the flags. I did put them on my two M-types I did around 1974.
CNN 542 is my blue M, still here. Where did you find that picture? The red car is back in England, probably with the flags still there. Haha, time tells.
My later cars a J and an L do not have them... I would not be surprised if new owners of my L and the J in perhaps 10/15 years would look for small enamel flags to put on... everything goes round...

/Gabriel
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  18:17:44  Show Profile
It was a bit of a fad in the 1950s as well, young drivers eh? This photo was taken in 1955. I am pleased to say it had vanished by 1956 and has not been seen since.......

JH
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  19:19:08  Show Profile
PA 603 has a pair of the enamel Union Flag plaques.

I am an Englishman and am proud to carry them.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  21:48:16  Show Profile
Bravo Bob. And a very good choice too… many were not so discerning when the Almighty offered the choice….

He is an Englishman!
For he might have been a Roosian,
A French or Turk or Proosian,
Or perhaps Italian!
Or perhaps Italian!

As a proud Englishman Bob, would St George's flag not be more apt ?

But not wishing to digress, this was really intended as a thread relating to M-type SC 7625 and whatever has become of it - My mention of a flag was only intended to relate to the fact that not all M-types carry a flag (shame?) and of those that do the position is variable (outrage?). This, though not conclusive, along with a great deal of other evidence tends to suggest the pictures are all of the same car.

Please forgive and forget any expression I made relating to taste in badges or otherwise - taste right or wrong it is completely utterly and absolutely irrelevant.

No offence intended to Roosians,Turks, Proosians or Italians. I am sure you are all proud too.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 01/04/2014 22:09:40
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2014 :  10:27:57  Show Profile
Sam,

I am sure that you meant no offence to our French Members either although you have omitted them from your "disclaimer". Or did you ? Or did you ? Or did you ?

Colin B.
(English - and proud of it)

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 05/04/2014 10:28:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000