Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 J2 IW4377 Ulster Motor Rally
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  20:47:07  Show Profile
According to Mike Allison's files (the factory files basically) J2874 was blue when new and supplied to A.J. Welch through Victor Ltd. No mention of the Thompson Edwards Motor Company.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6118 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2014 :  22:58:05  Show Profile
Cat,

Many if not all of the M.G.s sold to Northern Ireland will show Victor Ltd. as the selling agent as they were the main M.G. agents in Northern Ireland. But the guarantee card which the first owner filled in may well show the local dealer from whom the car was ordered. The dispatch card for my car shows Victor Ltd., but the guarantee card which my Dad filled in shows Toppings in Enniskillen as the dealer who sold the car. The fact that Mike Hawke's book lists the local dealer would suggest that the guarantee card may be with with chassis file at the Club Office.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Welch 22

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2014 :  08:12:15  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JMH

Sam,
I've had a look in my Fathers' files & Ralph is correct. Though the book (published back in 2007) lists your Grandfathers car as J2874, it did not tie the Chassis No in with a registration, However, he later matched the two because his later notes list the two together. Frustratingly, there is little more information there in the notes & the source of his 1935 Ulster Rally reference is not listed (unusually).

I will have to do a bit more digging, there is a possibility that the original sale reference came from the files at Abingdon.

JH

Very much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3371 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2014 :  12:16:06  Show Profile
I have edited the title to correct the registration number to make searching in the future easier
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Ralph

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2014 :  21:34:14  Show Profile
To continue this saga, as it is apparent that this MG j2 still exists in some form as suggested by the National Tyres website and people like myself would love to try and acquire a basket case or a car requiring total restoration, we keep coming up against a brick wall that the DVLA are not allowed to divulge the name and address of the existing owner due to the provisions of the Data Protection Act . Do the Historic Car Clubs have any methods of tracing "lost cars" which are still recorded as being on the road, or sorn'd? There must be many occasions where the owner has a car lying unloved in a barn, whilst others are desperate to acquire a "barn find".
Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Max Headroom

United Kingdom
292 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2014 :  00:58:21  Show Profile
Wouldn't it be worth writing to the Kithead Trust about this?

Link:
http://www.kitheadtrust.org.uk/

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Inside every older person is a younger person – wondering what the hell happened.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2014 :  02:42:11  Show Profile
Could someone please be more specific as regards the "National Tyres" website? Sounds like a good research tool, but for us left-ponders the exact URL remains a mystery.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Welch 22

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2014 :  06:43:52  Show Profile
I assume the National Tyres website is similar to the AutoTrader website I used to search for the J2 using the reg. The AutoTrader site allows you to search using the reg to see if the vehicle has any outstanding loans placed against it, whether it has ever been written off or if it is on credit.
As stated in previous posts above, this search came up with no make or model but simply that is was a 1932 two seater sports.
Either the date on the records that these searches use is wrong or my Grandfather transferred the reg to another car.
When I get some time off next weekend I'm going to have a root around and perhaps pester some family too, although with a birth in the wee hours of this morning I think now may not be the best time.

Makes me a little sad to think that my Grandfathers car is languishing in a barn unloved, I've had this picture displayed in ever study or bedroom I've had since about five. I have also have the hat he is wearing in the photo, or at least one that is similar and he used for racing, and distinctly remember charging up and down the Brooklands banks (where Alan also raced) wearing it and making car noises as a child whilst on a visit to the museum.

It does, however, make me pleased that there is such a great group of enthusiasts here that show an interest in saving and restoring vehicles like this and thus, at the same time making a rather sentimental man happy.
Personally it would be a dream to own this car and have it back in the family, but I think I have a good few years of very hard work if I'm going to even get close to being able to afford to get even close to that.

Edited by - Welch 22 on 17/05/2014 06:59:53
Go to Top of Page

Ralph

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2014 :  09:44:34  Show Profile
Most sites on the internet, such as autotrader, charge a fee to research details of a car's history, however in the UK , if you have the make and reg. No. of a vehicle you can search the DVLA to see whether it is still recorded on their records.
A much simpler method is to type in national tyres UK into search engine ( they have records of all cars on the DVLA site to enable them to indicate whether they can supply tyres for such a vehicle). All one has to do is put in the reg. no. And if the vehicle is described then it should still exist.
I do not know how to show you the URL on an IPad but maybe someone else can add this
Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Welch 22

United Kingdom
8 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2014 :  10:15:12  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ralph

Most sites on the internet, such as autotrader, charge a fee to research details of a car's history, however in the UK , if you have the make and reg. No. of a vehicle you can search the DVLA to see whether it is still recorded on their records.
A much simpler method is to type in national tyres UK into search engine ( they have records of all cars on the DVLA site to enable them to indicate whether they can supply tyres for such a vehicle). All one has to do is put in the reg. no. And if the vehicle is described then it should still exist.
I do not know how to show you the URL on an IPad but maybe someone else can add this
Ralph

Autotrader is free now too.

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2014 :  14:46:25  Show Profile
My J2 doesn't show up on the National Tyres system so it is not foolproof...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2014 :  18:58:54  Show Profile
Just another thought!,

Whilst National tyres and other sites may reference an "MG" to the indicated registration, it is also possible that the reg' may have been transferred to a more modern MG rather than being retained on the J2!

PA 1836
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2014 :  22:18:23  Show Profile
When I search for National Tyres, all I get is a company selling tires (tyres) and doing MOT work. Nowhere on their site can I find any information regarding registrations. However, sometime in the foggy distance of time, I do remember looking at a UK government site where I was able to locate car details (make and model) by entering the registration number. I have long since forgotten what site that was, but I did find my (ex) J2, even though it had been out of the UK for 30 years.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Ralph

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2014 :  22:46:35  Show Profile
Lew, basically the site sells tyres, but on the home page is a space allowing people in the UK to enter the registration number of a car. If this is done it normally states that the number relates to say "a 1932 MG two seater" thus meaning that such car exists on the UKs registration system ie it's owner has bothered to record the car with the DVLA.
If the car has been scr@pped, exported or pulled to bits for parts the national tyres site will just say "no information is available on this number.
Yes there is an official DVLA method of finding this information, and even I have difficulty finding this site, but for example, in the case in question, it will only find a car that is described as a MG, and this car is referred to above as an unknown make, 2 seater sports (not an MG), which would require the owner to produce information from the log book.
What I am saying is that the National tyres site gives you the same information without the complications of the DVLA, but neither will tell you the owner's name or address.
Hope this makes sense.
Ralph
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 18/05/2014 :  01:07:08  Show Profile
I found it! I must have gone blind the first time as I completely overlooked it. Thanks,

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000