Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 MGs at Brighton
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  10:34:09  Show Profile
Here are two pictures of MGs competing at the Brighton Speed Trials,
ACD 134 No133 looks very much like an L2 but who is the driver and what year? the other photo does not show either Reg No very clearly but again any ideas on what types, year and competitors??

Cheers!

Mike.

mike bradbury

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  14:06:07  Show Profile
ACD 134 was Ashton Rigby's L2054, but no doubt Colin B will tell you that too! And more!

From here I'd say the other two registration numbers are indeed illegible, but if you had a magnifier, would you then at least be able to see bits of the numbers which could then form clues?
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  17:23:05  Show Profile
The year is 1937 and by that time, ACD134 (L2054) had been sold by Aubrey Ashton-Rigby to Robin Jackson (who tuned the car for him). In this year the driver of ACD134 was Jean Jackson (Robin's wife) and her best time of 35.54 seconds (average speed of 50.64 mph) was good enough to secure First Place in her Class.

This was one of M.G.s busiest years at Brighton, with entries from Denis Evans, and B Rogers in C Types, George Hartwell in the ex E R Hall Sprint N Type, Miss Hope-Roderick and Ian Nickols in the ex Rex King-Clark single seater J4007, R D Poore in J4002, M S Soames driving J H T Smiths K3015/2, H Stuart-Wilton in K3004 entered by Mrs Corbett-Fisher, J N Innes in K3018, H Witley Burt in JB6158 (one of the Le Mans PAs) J K W Baines in RA0257, G Bagratouni and P Monkhouse in NEs, Mrs J C Elwes in a blown K2, Miss Yvonne Morel in a blown PB engined PA, John Goff and G Reid in blown PBs, J F May in a blown NA plus a whole load of others in cars which have not yet been identified, namely car 80 Cecil Tsylor, car 102 G S C Mathews, car 121 J Carr-Brookfield, car 135 A D Langridge, car 139 S Seymour driving C A L Meredith's M.G. and finally Mrs Strickland-Shaw who's car and car number is unknown.

If any of you have a high powered magnifying glass, please speak up and add to the history files.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  18:42:33  Show Profile
I cannot read the numbers even with the aid of a magnifying glass.

The car does look like an L2, but if it was ex Rigby would it not have cycle wings and the distinctive stripes down the side of the body?

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 06/10/2014 18:42:56
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2534 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2014 :  18:47:02  Show Profile
I'm almost certain that the righthand car in photo 2 is **C 65* if that's any help to those who know registrations of the time. Unfortunately when blowing up a computer screen you suffer from those little pixel thingys!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  09:52:31  Show Profile
I was hoping Michael had the originals to which he could apply the magnifier, but then, he's probably already tried that. Perhaps scanning at a very high resolution might help?

George, I don't think there's any doubt that the car in the first pic is the Ashton Rigby car as the registration is clearly visible. I do share your question though, another one for Colin?!

Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2014 :  12:03:22  Show Profile
I only have digital copies of these photos but I will see if my friend who sent them to me has scanned them from prints , if so I will see if the magnifying glass can come up with anything clearer and report back. Interestingly was the original licence No of L2054 (the Ashton Ribgy L2) ACD 134 as it now appears to be MG 47? See the picture of him at the 1934 Brighton speed trial with his L2 which has cycle wings and appears to be very light/dark duotone also Malcolm Newman's L2054 MG47 in Malcolm Greens Book "MG sports Cars 1929-1936" page 87.
Cheers,
Mike.

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  11:23:48  Show Profile
ACD134 and MG47 are one and the same car. Aubrey Ashton-Rigby was the first owner, and the car was issued with ACD 134 (a Brighton number). I believe that the MG47 plate was fitted in the late 50s or early 60s but I am not certain of this. The photographs are from 1937 when the car had been sold to Robin Jackson and it was frequently driven by Jean Williams, Robin's fiancee. I understand that after their marriage, Jean used the car as a shopping car, (when she was not winning her Class at Brighton etc.)and therefore the full wings might have been seen as being more appropriate for popping down to the shops.

The current owner submitted a nice article about the car in a Yearbook - possibly around 1986 - which might provide a few answers. I can't check myself as I have lent all of my Yearbooks to a friend.

I will speak to Malcolm Newman in a day or so, and ask him if he can clarify when the cycle wings were replaced, and the Reg Number changed.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

mjb

United Kingdom
248 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2014 :  22:17:34  Show Profile
Hi Colin,
No luck with identifying the cars in the second picture, apparently these pictures were downloaded from the internet and not scanned from prints so the reg Nos are no clearer. The number of the right hand car is something like O or possibly D PC 806 but its not at all clear. Here is another photo of the Ashton Rigby car together with what looks like another L2 with competition No 132 at the same event, again the reg No of this is very unclear but looks like ?Y ?74. Not very helpful I'm afraid!

Cheers!
Mike.

mike bradbury
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2014 :  11:00:10  Show Profile
Mike, There is no trace of any car numbered 132 in my scrappy notes for 1937, and unfortunately, I do not have a programme for this year. There is a car 135 which is an MG driven by A D Langridge, but no model nor engine size is available. (at present - I live in hope, however.)

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000