Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 PB Airline Coupe 1968
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Whitworth

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  14:40:56  Show Profile
The small wheels and badge attached to the front valance makes me wonder if this could be my car, PB0334, which was originally owned by Prince Chula and Prince Bira. The car looks like it had been off the road for a time and possibly in storage. Unfortunately I don't have any information regarding ownership in 1968, but I believe this was about the time that the car was sold and sent to the U.S. Also, does anyone know when Barry Bone purchased the Magna from Princess Chula in Cornwall? - Jack Simpson

Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  14:53:40  Show Profile

The car to the left of the picture MG 1976 is of course the Bira F type, "Fidget".

Powerplus
Go to Top of Page

Whitworth

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  15:15:39  Show Profile
Correct. These are the three MGs owned by Chula/Bira photographed at Brooklands in 1935. Magnette, Magna, and Midget.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  18:07:47  Show Profile
I was chatting to Barry Bone this summer and he said he thought 'Fidget ' was now in Japan.( although the register says it's in Switzerland )
It is an F2 reg: MG1976 .F1479 and there are excellent photos of it in Richard Monks book 'The MG Collection ' It stil has all of Biras extras on it, horns, reversing lights,spot lights and masses of instruments.
Graham

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 04/12/2014 18:10:24
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  18:57:47  Show Profile
i thought Barry Bone died in 2011??
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  21:11:09  Show Profile
Yes he did.
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  22:12:36  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by LewPalmer

It's a shame that someone hasn't undertaken the task of recording the essential details of the chassis files into a database. If that was done, it could be a simple matter of a search to see which dealer handled which car. Of course, this would not be possible with cars which were resold 30 some years after the were sold new, such as this one. However, it could make for an immensely useful tool.
Aside from that idea, I am amazed at the resourcefulness of the folks on this forum.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Hi Lew,

I doubt what I am doing is exactly what are referring to, but I intend to obtain information on every surviving car, with regards to the originating dealerships and owners, ideally utilising the information on the chassis files. Unfortunately, I don't have any experience with professional database software hence why I am compiling a spreadsheet, any help or suggestions in this respect would be greatly appropriated.

These pictures are great by the way.

Sorry to go off topic.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 04/12/2014 22:13:52
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  22:33:05  Show Profile
Matthew,
It is an easy matter to translate a spreadsheet into a database. However, I had envisioned more data that what you appear to be collecting. I thought it could be useful to record most or all of the information on the guarantee and/or dispatch card such as:
chassis number, engine number, other key numbers, first owner, selling dealership, colors when new, date of purchase, date of manufacture, body style, body number, registration number.

Much of this is already on the Register files, and the rest is on the chassis files.

I keep much of this information on the known surviving Airline Coupes, but that is only a tiny fraction of the 11,500 Triple-M cars produced.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2014 :  22:45:29  Show Profile
Hi Lew

I will definitely look into transferring the spreadsheet onto a database, as for the types and quantity of information I am more than happy to adapt my purpose to create an information source and is as detailed and is as useful to as many people as possible. Furthermore I consider this to be a very long term project but I have genuinely found an interest within an interest if that makes any kind of sense.

If you have no objections I would love to know the information you hold on the airlines so I can add the cars to the spreadsheet.

I am also seeing my brother this weekend who is slightly more technically minded and I think between us we could devise some sort of database solution.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 04/12/2014 22:49:25
Go to Top of Page

Joe S

Switzerland
22 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  00:27:26  Show Profile
I've had another look at the original PB airline photos which I have in a higher resolution in my files. I think the badge on the front apron is an RAC motor sport badge which could mean a previous owner competed in motor sport of some kind (see enlargement with inset). To get this badge you had to be a full RAC member and have competed in motor sport.

Seeing the photo of Prince Bira's Airline ar Brooklands posted by the current owner was interesting. I've been comparing the body details of all the known airlines to my photos and was thinking the one with the nearest match was CGO 754. There's not much to go on but CGO 754 is the only one where the rear wings curve round the rear corners and extend beyond the rear line of the bodywork, as in the photos. Consequently the rear line of the bodywork is virtually straight between the rear wing tips. Most other airlines have more of a curve to the rear line.

And now from the Brooklands photo I see smaller wheels, and badges mounted on the front apron. I'm almost convinced ... It's a shame we can't see the rear lights ...

Joe
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  10:17:27  Show Profile
Graham, The "Bone" to whom you spoke, would have been "the other one", Terry. He is still about - still living in Chailey, East Sussex so far as I am aware, and is very approachable. I seem to remember him telling me that the two brothers sold "Fidget" to someone in Japan many years ago (possibly ten or more), but the purchaser never collected the car. So it might well be in Switzerland now.

I am fairly certain that Terry is still trading, and I see adverts from him popping up from time to time.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  10:22:47  Show Profile
I read Barry bought the F2 in 1969 so maybe both cars were sold around the same time?
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  11:05:09  Show Profile
Oops, sorry I meant Terry. I should have known better as I know Terry well. He is good company at a party !
Graham
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2014 :  16:36:43  Show Profile
Joe,
You might have something there. Attached is a photo of CGO754 as it was being unloaded near Chicago in about 2002. The license plate somewhat obscures the rear body, but there does seem to be some similarity not shared by other Airlines I've examined.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Whitworth

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  14:41:33  Show Profile
Joe - Thank you for posting the photo of the Airline. I feel like it is indeed my car, CGO 754. The detective work offered by the forum members to pin down the location of the 1968 photo is truly amazing. The car is now in the final stages of a full restoration.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000