Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 PA 0448 at auction, 1985.
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2015 :  11:56:49  Show Profile
Whilst looking through a Christie's catalogue for July 15th. 1985, Lot 20, PA 0448 4-seater, 696AP, NV 3666 appeared, as shown, described as 'black with black interior and generally good' and selling for £4000.

Nowhere to be seen in the current Register, a search in the 2007 edition found the car, last recorded in 1986. Surely a MMM car, once noted but unseen for years, should be retained on the Register, rather than being discarded? This renders the latest Register an incomplete record and diminishes its usefulness.

Any news of the car? (Photograph credit: Christie's.)

Bob.

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2015 :  18:26:04  Show Profile
In the register''s defence, Bob, the register is solely dependent on information volunteered. Hence the need for any owner, or prospective owner to keep the registrar informed of any ownership change or knowledge of a car known to exist.

It is a moving feast and as such , when the printed register is made available, annually, changes subsequent appear in the next edition.

If the owner of this car wants to contact the registrar, I am sure it will be recorded.

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2015 :  20:00:03  Show Profile
Robin, thank you for your politician's answer.

My point was that a car should NOT be removed from the Register at all. Once entered, it should remain.

If it has 'lapsed', then a note such as 'Last noted 1986' would show that the car had existed.

If it has been 'modified' or 'scrapped', this should be recorded. In fact, all cars known to have been scrapped should be recorded as such, as an aid to potential buyers.

My own Register lists all models known to have existed - there are no surviving 'works' records - even if only recorded in a former dealer's records.

Is my own car to be deleted soon? I last corrected the record c. 2004.

I repeat, the present situation is unsatisfactory, damaging the Register's credibility.

Bob.

Edited by - Bob Stringfield on 08/02/2015 20:06:07
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  10:14:31  Show Profile
This topic,of all known cars should be listed on the register (maybe a separate list to the 'regular' register), has been aired a few times recently. I support fully what Bob says .
Very recently our Registrar refered to 'the dark register'. What exactly is that ?.
I feel it is a case of the politicians not listening to the people.
In no way is this posting suggesting all our Registrars, past & present, are not doing an excellent job , it's the principle, if that is the right word, that is being questioned.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  13:46:24  Show Profile
I'd like to give a plug to the F Register run by Ian Ross, www.fmagna.org.uk/, and the D Type lot at www.mgdgroup.org/which try to build information about all cars.

It seems to me that we hold in our cars a little bit of the history of the period, and to know who owned our cars only helps increase our understanding of the time. The P type owned by the Egyptian Royal family and Thailand's Prince Bira, Our Prince Philip owned a T Type... Doyle Carte and all the others, there is interest here.

Our cars got into some very interesting places too so it is both people and places as well as the cars themselves that have a story. It is a pity that so many of the cars are not what they were, too many have become racers at the expense of their past.

Hiding cars by dropping them from the Register diminishes our understanding and our knowledge. The excuse is that people will try to forge chassis numbers for financial advantage. The more knowledge that is in the public domain the more difficult this becomes. The cost of this policy is a diminished knowledge of the history of our cars.

Discuss!!!

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  21:12:20  Show Profile
May I please offer some reassurance?

Some months ago the Register Committee agreed that it would be right to reinstate to the Register certain cars that had been deleted from it some years previously.

The earlier decision to delete these cars was valid at the time and it applied mainly to cars that had been included in the Register, usually very many years ago, and where we had completely lost track of the car or the owner.

Some, but not all of the reinstated cars were included in the 2014 edition of the Listing of Cars. Our overloaded Registrar is working to complete the process and by the time the 2015 Listing is printed - in time for Silverstone - it should include all the cars that have been reinstated to the Register.

It's perhaps worth repeating that the printed Listing of Cars is just that – a Listing of Cars - based in the main on declarations and descriptions given to us by owners. Where the Committee considers that a description is incorrect or needs to be clarified, the Registrar will intervene with the aim of ensuring as far as reasonably practicable that the entry is correct.

However we should all remember that the Listing of Cars is not, and has never been, a statement of authenticity or a definitive confirmation of the identity of any particular car: it is as accurate as we can get it. In this we are aided by owners who we expect will act honestly and in good faith.

You can read the guidelines gverning the Register at http://www.triple-mregister.org/registerlogin.asp

Dick Morbey
Register Chairman

Edited by - DickMorbey on 09/02/2015 21:12:47
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  23:46:19  Show Profile
Peter,

You links do not connect to the websites, the /. should be removed from the fmagna address and /which should be removed from the mgdgroup address.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  10:04:02  Show Profile
Dick. Thanks for letting us know about the committee decision re. the additions to the printed Register. Certainly a step in the right direction. Ray.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  11:35:27  Show Profile
I have resisted contributing to this thread before, mainly because as a relatively new committee member I was not sure of my ground, then my internet system fell over at the critical moment!

I wholeheartedly endorse the committee's decision (before my tenure began) to reinstate voided cars. My reference in a previous message to the 'dark register' was an attempt at humour, and not intended to appear sinister - there is no deliberate secrecy here!

The register files amount to two book cases full of printed matter, in addition to the contents of a small computer. It had to be rationalised somehow, and it must be remembered that many of these cars were registered thirty plus years ago, and were not always viable projects. Having said that, quite a few come out of the woodwork as their owners reach a certain age and wish to recapture their lost youth!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  17:30:48  Show Profile
I should have added that though once listed, this car was never given a number, presumably it was not asked for.

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000