Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 M type Monte Carlo Rally
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  12:54:43  Show Profile
I have received the attached picture from Merv Therriault in Vancouver, BC, Canada.

The picture is in a book Merv has purchased. The Registration number does not appear in the printed Register, I wonder if anyone has any information on the car?

Is that person in the dark suite William Morris?

George
L2023

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  13:19:57  Show Profile
I've seen that photo before. I believe it may have been posted on this forum once.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  13:21:31  Show Profile
Yes think there's been a big discussion before about this
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  14:05:50  Show Profile
Is this not the F M Montgomery car entered in the 1930 Rallye? In the M Type Profile by F Wilson McComb, he recounts Montgomery's class victory at the post-rally Mont des Mules hill-climb, at which he not only won his 1100cc class but was faster than the next three higher capacity class winners. I believe this picture was also used as the basis of a publicity drawing "doctored" to make it look as if the car was arriving at a check point and the standing figures were the marshalls. I don't know who the standing figures are but I'm pretty sure it's not Sir William Morris; by 1930 he would have been 52 and this figure doesn't look that old. Isn't that the factory gate and the cemetery wall?

By the way, isn't this also a good example of a car that could be recorded in the Register as historically interesting even though not surviving. With database software it is easy enough to allocate tags that distinguish between e.g. a)cars known to exist, b)cars that are recorded but location unknown and c)cars known to be scrapped. A "Notes" field could also be added for significant historical information.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2015 :  14:15:56  Show Profile
Courtesy of the Pre-War Minor Network, here is another picture of the car on the Rallye.

Go to Top of Page

Reinout

USA
223 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  01:12:48  Show Profile
Here is the previous thread about this photo.

http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7333&whichpage=1

Reinout Vogt
Emma
1931 M-Type 2M/2735
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  09:44:25  Show Profile
The picture on the other thread is much clearer and it looks as though William Morris, if it was him, had de-aged considerably as someone else said. Certainly an early car with suicide doors. Strangely in one of the pictures on the other thread states it is the 1931 Monte Carlo Rally but it has the same number 139 as in 1930 not as it should be number 12.

John Cooper

Edited by - Cooperman on 23/02/2015 09:50:52
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  10:40:22  Show Profile
The two standing figures both appear in a group posed photo of "MG Staff" at the company inaugural luncheon on 20th January 1930 with Kimber and Morris, suggesting that they were members of the factory management. (Wilson McComb used the picture in Chapter 4 of "MG by McComb"). The shorter figure is 3rd from the left and the taller one 2nd from the right.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

John Libbert

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  15:54:00  Show Profile
It appears that the gentleman standing on the left is Mr. Colgrove and the other standing gentleman may be Mr. Charles.

If you look at the posting "How many MG Triple-M production Lines?" in the "General Information" forum and look at Sam Cristie's post dated 23/2 with the NAMGAR link, follow the link and scroll down and you will see a picture with these gentlemen in it.

I am a member of NAMGAR and will see if I can make contact regarding the pictures in the article.

Best regards,

John

Edited by - John Libbert on 23/02/2015 15:56:04
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2015 :  17:09:12  Show Profile
As I said in the previous post:-
"The M type VC 1931 was first registered to a Mr. D Jeacock in Coventry in September 1929. It was then driven on the 1930 Monte Carlo Rally by Francis Mortimer Montgomery.
Read more about him and his later exploits in Safety Fast February 2012. Modesty forbids me to say who wrote the piece, but it is jolly good!"

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2015 :  10:29:44  Show Profile
The shorter of the two men standing beside the M Type is Ted Colegrove who I believe was in the Sales Department. I think that he was an important guy because he is frequently pictured close to Cecil Kimber. The taller of the two is not Hubert Charles. In the inaugural lunch photograph, Charles is in the back row on the left with a cigarette in his mouth, standing beside Cec Cousins whilst the second M Type standing person is top row extreme right. Whoever he was he was in the Purchasing Department but at present cannot be identified.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Kts

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2015 :  14:04:40  Show Profile
Maybe I'm missing something, but the pics posted by Malcolm and John Cooper look like different cars to me. Race number on car in Malcolm's post ends with an 8, Coopers is a 9. And different mountings for second spare.

KTS
J3459
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2015 :  14:16:04  Show Profile
Mmmmm. Very interesting! And yet big headlamps, big horn, spotlight....?

The previous thread confirms that he re-entered in 1931 but his number was 12.

Malcolm
M Type

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2015 :  19:51:19  Show Profile
The 1931 car was registration number was GK 4575 and he left from John O' Groats and was sixth in class in the rally and second in class on the Mont des Mules hill climb.
Both times, a long way in an M type!
He continued competing in the Monte Carlo Rally, for was co-driver for Donald Healey in the Invicta in 1932 and in 1934 was co-driver for J. W. Walley in a Ford V8.
Hope this is of interest.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2015 :  18:44:46  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Kts

Maybe I'm missing something, but the pics posted by Malcolm and John Cooper look like different cars to me. Race number on car in Malcolm's post ends with an 8, Coopers is a 9. And different mountings for second spare.

KTS
J3459

In Malcolm's picture the number does appear to finish in an 8, also this probably a different car as in it the second spare wheel is mounted on the rear and there is no sign of where the side mounted wheel could have been fixed, so is this picture of 1931 and a different car.

John Cooper

Edited by - Cooperman on 25/02/2015 18:46:55
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000