Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Seeking information about a picture of an MG
 MG crash at third Donington Meeting
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

tjackson

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2015 :  10:35:37  Show Profile
MotorSport is conveniently online (http://www.motorsportmagazine.com/archive/article/september-1933/6/third-donington-meeting) and notes the following in regards to sports events:
“The races were all scratch events and cars were lined up in one or more rows with engines running. Proceedings opened at 2 p.m. with a 5 lap race for sports cars up to 850 c.c. In this and other sports events incidentally, only petrol-benzol was allowed. Montlhery M.G. Midgets and supercharged cars were not eligible.”

Also in this article, Race 4 for Up to 1,100 c.c. Unsupercharged and 850 c.c. Supercharged includes P. R. Turner (746 c.c. J3 M.G., S) who finished 4th.
Can anyone help with the identification or photo of Turner’s car? Mike Hawke thought that “Turner” may have been a misprint for “P.B.Tanner” in J3768 who finished 5th in race 3 and is listed in Mike’s entry list above as Car 6.

Cheers, Tim
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2015 :  17:12:34  Show Profile
In that entry list it says No.6 P. B. Tanner J3 MG Mid. 746c.c. Greenfield!
So Mike was correct!
Cat., I have got all the Donnington entry lists, will scan them and send them to you, in due course.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Elliott

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2015 :  20:15:58  Show Profile
I assume 'wheel flap' to mean axle tramp. Not uncommon in beam axled cars with cable brakes. The cause seems to be that when the front wheels hit a lump in the road under heavy braking the wheels start hopping. I remember many years ago watching my dad race at Silverstone in our vintage Lagonda, the car had terrible axle cramp. I thought it was going to shake to bits!
Go to Top of Page

boltonmg

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2015 :  19:17:18  Show Profile
I agree that the photo is of a C-type with its valences quite different than a J. It's interesting that A.H. (Alf) Langley is entered for the meet in Car #9, a Singer and Car #10, the s/c Midget. Alf was a member of the Singer Trials Team in 1933, while his brother Archie (A.B) owned and trialled J2594 in 1933. Archie went with Singer in 1934 and Bastock took over J2594.

Motor Sport (Sept 33) has detailed reports of each race and Alf drove either the Singer or M.G. in appropriate races. This accident was in Race 5 for unsupercharged cars up to 1100cc and s/c cars up to 850cc.

I am pleased to read this discussion because, owning J2594, I had been bothered by reading in Mike Hawke's "How they ran" that he attributed this accident to J2594, a point that Colin made above. I'm glad this clears it up!

Cat wonders about the Barnes brothers "lending" Alf the C-type. Weren't the Barnes also in the Singer team? So they were all good buddies.

MBH also lists Archie (A.B.) entering J2594 in the first Donington meet and taking first place in the 850cc race. In Motor Sport (May) I read that the third race was for unsupercharged 850cc cars and A.H. (Alf) was first in a 748cc Montlehery Midget there being only 2 starters. There is also a blurry picture of him, clearly without a front mounted blower, and I can almost discern a WP number plate. In the first race J.D Barnes finished third in a 746 non-s/c Midget. I wonder if they were sharing the same car that day? And is it the same car that sported a front mounted blower at the August meet?

This all makes me think that Archie in J2594 never appeared at Donington.

Regards,
Peter Ross

Peter Ross
PA0251, PA0255, J2594
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000