Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2s on Register
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2015 :  08:23:22  Show Profile
Can an authority on this subject let me know how many J2s there are on the register at this point in time, total number, and by country if possible. This is merely a point of interest on my part.

Thank you.

MSH

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2015 :  09:12:51  Show Profile
Just for your interest, J4129 ( or most of it ) is still in Cyprus and has not been added to MMM register records.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2015 :  10:32:57  Show Profile
Mark, If you purchase a copy of the current Register from our Librarian, you can spend a happy hour or three counting the J2s listed in it (with their applicable countries.) There are masses of the little beasts - about 10 pages with something like 70 to a page. With Christmas coming up, you could add it to your list of gifts to be bought by your nearest and dearest.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2015 :  10:34:38  Show Profile
Thank you Colin for the suggestion. However, at this point I am really asking for someone with access to the database to give me a number.

Bed time reading comes later.

Thanks!

MSH
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2015 :  17:14:47  Show Profile
Not that straight forward Mark. The current number on the register is not the same as the number that still exist (in some form or another.....possibly/perhaps.... Some were purged a few years back) If is a simple number from the current register, our registrar can give you the number.

JH
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 26/11/2015 :  17:20:21  Show Profile
Thank you Jeremy. I was interested in the number registered, but fully realise that there are other J2s out there as yet to be discovered, and even if already discovered, yet to be registered.

If Nick Feakes or any of the hardworking volunteers have ready access to this information, it would be appreciated.

Kind regards,

Mark

(Custodian of registered J2 4307)

MSH
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2015 :  11:51:08  Show Profile
Chris, is there sufficient of J4129 to enable you to apply to have it included on the Regsiter? If so, please don't hold back! http://www.triple-mregister.org/registerlogin.asp is the link!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2015 :  17:18:35  Show Profile
Hi Dick, There are most of J4129 parts, all in very poor condition. The wooden bodywork is rotten, delaminated and dismantled, but complete as far as I can tell, The engine block has a huge split, gearbox, rear axle are just solid lumps of rust, both are split, either from the accident or from the rusted internals. The parts are in Michael Birds lockup for the moment, as I have not yet had my garage built in Cyprus ( only got my deeds this year ), will move them once I have this built.Its obvious that MB did not know about the heritage of J4129, when he bought the two J2s in 1961, Angela told me that one was a parts donor and one was running. Its only my research that identified J4129 as ill fated Dudley Cottinghams competition car as the donor. I intend to rebuild as best I can using original items, already Rich Hardy has identified that one of the panels from J4129 had bonnet strap fitting holes ( on this forum ). The Harrow Car Club is also looking to its members for any archived information...and hopefully a photograph to give me an idea of what J4129 may have looked like. Its a long term project and I want to get it right, if only in the memory of D.H.Cottingham. RIP. Looking at the parts I have, the accident must have caused some extensive damage, the windscreen is twisted and shattered .Once I have organised myself I will go for registration...J4129 has been ' lost ' for too long.

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.

Edited by - MG Maverick on 27/11/2015 17:40:50
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 27/11/2015 :  22:42:09  Show Profile
The bare details of Chris's car are recorded, but of course no number yet until it becomes closer to a complete vehicle.

There are 978 J2s recorded as surviving, 851 actually on the Register.

Triple M Registrar

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 27/11/2015 22:42:44
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2015 :  16:16:14  Show Profile
Thanks Graham…incredible that nearly half of those built have lived to tell the tale!

MSH
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 28/11/2015 :  18:41:19  Show Profile
Sort of.......Lots have been little more than chassis & axles at some stage (at least one spent time as a farmers gate). Lucky ones bust their engines & "slept" in one piece for decades. Those that have be runners all their lives are rare indeed. That's what makes each individual cars' history fascinating - warts, F**d engines & all.

JH
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 29/11/2015 :  18:41:27  Show Profile
quote:

There are 978 J2s recorded as surviving, 851 actually on the Register.

This is an amazing survival rate indeed for a pre-war car. And how many of these little marvels still hit the road, at least once a year ?

Christian
(J2195)
Go to Top of Page

MarkH

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2015 :  05:02:12  Show Profile
Christian, by any chance will you be driving to the Le Mans Classic in your J2 next July? If so, see you there.

Mark
J 4307

MSH
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 30/11/2015 :  08:08:52  Show Profile
Mark,

I sent you an email.
Go to Top of Page

KR200

United Kingdom
54 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  15:05:29  Show Profile
978 left?

That is a spectacular survival rate. Just shows how much affection these pre war quasi competition cars were/are revered.

I adore my J2. There are many attractive attributes of these machines. But I think the top of the tree for me is the J2's perfectly proportioned styling.

Has to be on cycle wings for that racer look.

Edited by - KR200 on 01/12/2015 15:06:13
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2015 :  16:21:22  Show Profile
The survival rate is very good indeed, considering it was an inexpensive car that had to survive the war years in damp garages or worse. The farmers gate is best story yet! So much better than concrete rebar.

So out of those 978 we know survived, can we come up with a decent guess how many are solid, road worthy cars? My own J3436 is currently being rebuilt back to its original black/green/green and we have 5 other J2's in similar state in the shop.

So there are six being restored to road worthy cars right here, plus we have completed six - so there are six good road cars. 50%

If we could get enough sampling we could extrapolate to get an approximate number of J2's on the road. 20%? 50%? 70%? I can account for 6 in process and 6 finished.

Anxious for mine to be part of that finished number....

Tommm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000