Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Courier for Radiator
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2016 :  19:31:17  Show Profile
Hello,

Does anyone have a recommendation for a courier to ship a crate containing a radiator in the UK?
Someone they have used with suitable insurance level for such an item.

Thanks
Paul.

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  07:36:39  Show Profile
The main international names are all provide good service. The problems can arise with franchise structured couriers, where responsibility is sometimes hard to pin down. In the end though, it is the quality and competence of the packing which really counts.

The carrier's insurance in almost all cases is based on weight, and not the value of content. You may have set up the insurance yourself.

A one off shipment will be expensive, but if you can find someone nearby with a contract with a courier it will near halve the cost.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

Edited by - Ian Bowers on 09/03/2016 07:38:21
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  07:45:33  Show Profile
I had problems with yodel who returned a well packed and addressed item to S & V, they did'nt even bother to wait for Jamie to open up or return later, just returned the package !

Chris ( J2353 ) & ( J4129 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  10:18:05  Show Profile
I've always used parcel2go.com as a 'consolidation' site for many carriers. Often, I end up using Hermes as I can drop stuff off at a pick up point round the corner - saves having to wait in for collection. I'm sure there are people with Hermes related horror stories, but I've never had any problems. Insurance has always been based on stated value of the contents. I don't know whether there is a maximum, however, that's nothing I've ever tested..

A tip I was once given was never to have a parcel in transit over a weekend, but to always choose a day for despatch when the delivery can be achieved in one 'process' as it were, without any delays.

hth...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  14:56:15  Show Profile
Hermes has a maximum weight of 15 kgs.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6122 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  15:46:35  Show Profile
I used UPS (Useless Parcel Service) to ship my gearbox from Northern Ireland to southern England and back again. They lost the crate on both occasions and their customer service was awful. They really didn't give a sh@t. Mind you, I did get my money refunded on each occasion, but only after a lot of hassle.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  17:02:22  Show Profile
Never, never, never use UPS for international shipments. I once bought a water manifold from S&V, whose part number is 1448. UPS, who runs their own customs clearance operation, charged me duty on 1448 water manifolds. They thought the part number on the waybill was the quantity. I never did get satisfaction, despite numerous letters of protest.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Richard Verrill

United Kingdom
346 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2016 :  18:01:01  Show Profile
I am not sure whether any courier is better than another, there was the Yodel debacle when delivering a Tower of London poppy when it was thrown over a locked garden gate.

I arranged for Parcel2Go to collect a child safety seat from Hastings delivery Northumberland it got to the Hastings depot damaged, was well boxed by them and sent back to the collection address instead of forwarding on to my address that was clearly on the damaged packaging, no compensation was forth coming. Hermes eventually got it to me and I now use them particularly as I know the local chap as he is an ex postman who delivered to us.

Good luck Paul, just make sure the packaging is well designed particularly for reuse on a return journey and as said avoid weekends.

Richard
PA1733 YA5206
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000